Amusing Hobby 1/35 Centurion Shot Kal

Continuing the weathering experiment...

Just for the novelty I'm trying a different approach to weathering,  so far it's all oils and pencils...

Perhaps I should have mounted the wheels prior to weathering rather than doing both separately and using different techniques :doh:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The sandy/orange colour perhaps looks a little "rusty" but....I don't dislike it. 

Sure I can re-do the wheels to match. 🤞

The panels edges, corners and scratches have all been done with AK pencil "chipping colour" and then highlighted with a HB pencil on specific points.

spacer.png

Dirt around filler caps courtesy of abteilung oil stains oil paint.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mantlet cover sprayed a homemade canvas colour,  not enough contrast for my liking so an oil paint glaze was brushed on to "green it up" a bit, this has had a brown wash but still needs  more work.

spacer.png

Tools painted too!

Anyone know what colour IDF Jerry cans are?

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 9

Looking great. The oils and pencils have worked a treat!

I have some of the AK pencils, but not tried them. Not really sure what to do with them, guess i need to get on YouTube for a butchers.

George

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

This has come together very well Darryl, looking like a well used Centurion just in from the Sinai

Stay safe           Roger

Thanks Roger, yeah don't think it'll pass as factory fresh....

31 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

That is looking really nice mate👌

Thanks Ivan, I keep jumping back on this inbetween things however I've the M4 GB starting this weekend. That said as I'm getting a bit more mojo going for this I'll try and press on. 

52 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

I have some of the AK pencils, but not tried them. Not really sure what to do with them, guess i need to get on YouTube for a butchers.

George

Thanks George,  the oil use was very experimental but they are are also very forgiving. As for the pencils, I've no real idea either. I've just used them as you would a normal coloured pencil. I believe you can do a lot more with them once you start adding water and blending them but that might be for another day.

Thanks chaps, appreciated as ever. 

Darryl 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

George

Exactly the same, but looking at the results Darryl has got I will give them a proper try.

• Like 1

That's coming along very nicely Darryl! 

The chipping and scratch effects are excellent, I haven't tried those pencils but it looks as though I may have to invest in some.

I often use oils for weathering as they are pretty forgiving and alterations can be made sometime later but I can't wean myself off of pigments for overall dust effects. Fair play to you for trying something different and it looks like you have had success in using them.

Hope you find the time to get this one to the end as it's looking really promising.

Wayne  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

That's coming along very nicely Darryl! 

The chipping and scratch effects are excellent, I haven't tried those pencils but it looks as though I may have to invest in some.

I often use oils for weathering as they are pretty forgiving and alterations can be made sometime later but I can't wean myself off of pigments for overall dust effects. Fair play to you for trying something different and it looks like you have had success in using them.

Hope you find the time to get this one to the end as it's looking really promising.

Wayne  

Thanks Wayne, need to work on my use of pigments. Did have a very brief try at creating a "slurry" from pigment and mineral spirit which looked ok but to be honest I've no idea if that's the way to go or not. I've used them dry and worked them into the surface but it's all trial and error. 

Definitely think oils have a future on my bench, with more practice and possibly layering I think thay have real potential. 

As for the crayons, definitely have their uses. I do have a hunch, that I'm going to try, that they are little more than nicely packaged watercolor pencil crayons. I've a set from back in college days, yeah imagine actually doing hand draw and coloured designs work these days :waiting:, that I need to dig out to test.

Unfortunately after nearly a months delay due to covid the house will be turned upside down this week for the fitment of a new boiler and removal of the old system, so my bench will need to be cleared and moved :huh:.

Thanks again always appreciate your input. 

Darryl