Amusing Hobby 1/35 Centurion Shot Kal

7 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

That primer has gone on really well, never tried Halford's. Do you spray direct from the can or decant into an airbrush?...

Ed

Hi Ed, must confess, I'm far to lazy to decant, its straight from the can. Thankfully the bodyshop version of the stuff levels really well. 

Bit worrying the very first time as it looked as if it was far to heavy and was going to run but dried out well.

(I usually use this primer in black but reckoned that was to dark beneath the IDF grey so tried the grey).

1 hour ago, edjbartos said:

That primer has gone on really well, never tried Halford's. Do you spray direct from the can or decant into an airbrush?...

Ed

Hi Ed, must confess, I'm far to lazy to decant, its straight from the can. Thankfully the bodyshop version of the stuff levels really well. 

Bit worrying the very first time as it looked as if it was far to heavy and was going to run but dried out well.

(I usually use this primer in black but reckoned that was to dark beneath the IDF grey so tried the grey).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Beast!! Top work. 👍

I'll take that! :giggle:

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's gone on really well Darryl, a nice flat, even surface. I use the other Halfords primer, ie; Automotive acrylic grey, straight out of the can.

John.

Thanks John, I only went for the bodyshop one as I couldn't get a black standard Halfords primer a year or two ago, liked how it leveled out so picked up a grey for the Shot Kal. 

4 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Its looking very well!  Thats a very imposing beast of tank. I have one in 1/16 but was done 30 years ago and its really bad... maybe someday I will go for it, but I have my doubts...

Cheers

LM

Thanks LM, it's surprising just how big it is, even compared to a Tiger. Would have interesting to see how they would have compared...

Thanks for looking in and taking the time to comment! :like:

Darryl 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Finally got some colour on ...well have to say bout bloomin time...you kept us waitin for that didn't ya.

Spose it'll do.... :clap2:

Now crack on there's a good chap... :rofl: 

Almost looking forward to lobbing a bit of paint over this, silly-ole-me is having ideas involving hairspray again....:doh:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

it's surprising just how big it is, even compared to a Tiger. Would have interesting to see how they would have compared...

This thing would have creamed Tigers and king Tigers...... and i'm talking the stock British version....these were designed to go head to head with soviet IS3-4's a far more potent weapon. For once a fighting vehicle from the Brits that inspired fear from all that potentially faced them.

Just now, Jasper dog said:

Almost looking forward to lobbing a bit of paint over this, silly-ole-me is having ideas involving hairspray again.

That primer straight from the can almost looks the right shade already ..well at least in the pics ...had to re-read the post to make sure it wasn't the final colour

2 hours ago, vytautas said:

Looks very nice, you don't even need to paint! And very good-looking all those details on the tank.

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas,  it really does need paint!!

You arn't far wrong I've never put so much "gubbins " on a build pre-paint!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

This thing would have creamed Tigers and king Tigers...... and i'm talking the stock British version....these were designed to go head to head with soviet IS3-4's a far more potent weapon. For once a fighting vehicle from the Brits that inspired fear from all that potentially faced them.

The Cent really was an exceptional tank, operational range aside, excellent on and off road performance and reliability (for the day), ergonomically pretty good and of course the gun. Just like all AFVs, it went through lots of upgrades, 17pounder to 20 pounder to 105mm (Thankfully the 20mm Polston was scrapped). However, best of all....it looks the doggies and could withstand a nuclear detonation!

13 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

That primer straight from the can almost looks the right shade already ..well at least in the pics ...had to re-read the post to make sure it wasn't the final colour

I've some IDF Sand Grey waiting to be abused, sorry sprayed. Looking at pics of these things I'd say almost anything goes re' weathering/paint effects! 🤞

Cheers bud. :like:

• Like 3

As threatened paint has been chucked about......

It seems a good idea to experiment on current projects.......

First job, spray the lower hull and suspension units with AK Chipping Colour, then layer of hairspray before spraying with AK IDF Sand Grey. 

spacer.png

Not too worried about this as most will be hidden once wheels, tracks and sideskirts mounted. Just curious to see if it was a technique that might have uses going forward.  

Tbh think the base colour needs to be more prominent. 

Next idea....upper hull, turret and sideskirts sprayed with a lightened version of the AK Sand grey. (The AK paint went down brilliantly over the grey primer,  far better than over the black version).

Again, couple of coats of hairspray before a straight coat of Sand Grey and then let the chipping begin. 

spacer.png

Straight Sand grey

spacer.pngSand grey post chipping. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The effects are visible but really a little too subtle to be noticeable in the pics without a closeup. Note the tops of the stowage bins and tool boxes etc.

(The patch of bare plastic is where I dislodged a part that needs to be re-fixed).

......Wouldn't say it's been a failure as lots more to do yet but.....:hmmm:more to do.

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

The effects are visible but really a little too subtle to be noticeable in the pics without a closeup. Note the tops of the stowage bins and tool boxes etc.

Just a little too subtle for me Darryl, but there again, my glasses do need changing, and that's no joke (damn this covid). The actual coat of sand grey does look as though it has gone down well though. No doubt we will see the chipping in subsequent photos.

John.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Just a little too subtle for me Darryl, but there again, my glasses do need changing, and that's no joke (damn this covid). The actual coat of sand grey does look as though it has gone down well though. No doubt we will see the chipping in subsequent photos.

John.

You're quite right John, an idea that I reckoned was worth a shot... I'd hoped to break up the mono-tone grey and depict worn and scuffed paint. :hmmm:

If I zoom in its visible but if you didn't know it was there you'd probably never notice.

Interesting to see what it's like in daylight...

Not to worry lots more to do yet!

Thanks 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Looking good mate👍

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looks like you are still making great progress Darryl. Your paintwork looks very impressive. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

8 hours ago, vytautas said:

Looking really good, very similar to the painted surface of a real tank

Vytautas

2 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

The paint work looks good  Darryl, the chipping on the suspension units has worked well.

Wayne

Thanks chaps, really appreciated, it definitely helps to keep the mojo going!

Unfortunately this might have slow down, again!

Some muppet signed up for a GB that started last Sat...:doh:

Change is as good as a rest....:giggle:

• Like 2

On 25/01/2022 at 08:10, edjbartos said:

That looks really good Darryl, the painting has gone down really well, I really like the surface texture showing though on the view of the turret. Good job..

Ed

Thanks Ed, really appreciate your comments. It's inspirational builds like yours, to name but one, that helps to push progress and experimentation. 

Cheers

Darryl 

Very brief update on the Shot Kal.

Whilst awaiting the arrival of paint for the GB build I've put one length of tracks together. 

What can I say.....

I know some have criticised the AM tracks and I can't remember why but for me, brilliant!

They go together so quickly and easily no clean up required just a bag full of individual links that literally click together. 

This run probably took less than an hour to do and fully articulate. Some of the joints are a bit weak and can separate but it's easy enough to swop the link for another.

spacer.png

• Like 10