Amusing Hobby 1/35 Centurion Shot Kal

So as to keep John @Bullbasket happy, and spurred on by @simmerit build I've made a start on the Centurion.

This I'm very confident wont be assembled before the weekend, probably/possibly a different approach to last weeks T34.

Obligatory box top shot along with the DEF mantlet cover and Panzer Art roadwheels, even includes a resin figure!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Someone might be advocating replacing the tracks with metal ones...:hmmm: and adding a little more pe than AH supplies, again....:hmmm::hmmm:

Anyhow a start has been made, suspension units assembled complete with drop links for the front and rear units. I'm absolutely no expert on these things btw so forgive any errors. Would I be right to suggest these are Hortsmann units?

spacer.png

Ohhhhh joy, back to tan plastic on a tan mat, again!

spacer.png

Wheels won't go on until painted, as usual for me..

spacer.png

Need to clean up a a few injector pin marks/towers on the drive housing.

spacer.png

Lower hull assembled along with drive wheels, all pretty much trouble free so far.

Happy days! :frantic:

Well that's it for this morning.

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 11

FINALLY!!

I'm interested to see how this stacks up against the AFV Club's version, as I have a Mklll build that stalled a couple of years ago. So far, they appear to be very similar. Is this a rip off of the AFV kit? But I digress. Nice work with what you've done so far Darryl.

John.

• Haha 1

Nice start to this Darryl, looks an interesting build, will be interesting to see this develop. By the way the mug of tea next to the box cover doesn't fool me, I noticed the two beer bottle tops on the left 😁

ED

• Haha 1

I shall watch this one closely Darryl, I have the AVRE one in the pile and I nearly started the AFV Club Mk.I a couple of times so it will be interesting to see the comparison. Maybe I should start it, it would be like a mini Centurion group build on here.

Good to see the Border cutting mat getting some use, I guess it's from the Crusader. Have I missed that build somewhere?

Wayne

• Like 1

Almost missed this one, will pull up a chair and follow along if I may?

Nice start looking forward to the next update now

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

So as to keep John @Bullbasket happy, and spurred on by @simmerit build I've made a start on the Centurion.

This I'm very confident wont be assembled before the weekend, probably/possibly a different approach to last weeks T34.

Obligatory box top shot along with the DEF mantlet cover and Panzer Art roadwheels, even includes a resin figure!

What's this ......my god man you haven't finished the other one yet .....must admit to wanting a few items of Israeli armour ...the Shot Kals and the M48-60 based conversions and a couple of Merkavas would be nice ..perhaps a Zelda or two and lets not forget some of the engineering conversions.....and a Nagmachon.............jeez i just spent a grand right there.:crying:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

FINALLY!!

I'm interested to see how this stacks up against the AFV Club's version, as I have a Mklll build that stalled a couple of years ago. So far, they appear to be very similar. Is this a rip off of the AFV kit? But I digress. Nice work with what you've done so far Darryl.

John.

Just for you John!

I've heard its a copy but until I'm home I can't compare the two, I'll have a shufty next week. 

If it goes together OK then fine with me!

18 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Nice start to this Darryl, looks an interesting build, will be interesting to see this develop. By the way the mug of tea next to the box cover doesn't fool me, I noticed the two beer bottle tops on the left 😁

ED

Dash it, rumbled!

Two bottles of Bier Morreti over ones Granola,  start the day as you mean to go on! :beer:

I can cover my tracks by explaining I use them for putting CA in! :whistle:

Thanks Ed, certainly, so far at least, appears to be rather a nice kit.🤞

18 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

I shall watch this one closely Darryl, I have the AVRE one in the pile and I nearly started the AFV Club Mk.I a couple of times so it will be interesting to see the comparison. Maybe I should start it, it would be like a mini Centurion group build on here.

Good to see the Border cutting mat getting some use, I guess it's from the Crusader. Have I missed that build somewhere?

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, why not join in!

If this is indicative of the other AM Centurions I could be tempted by another...

No you haven't missed the Crusader build,  I just pinched the mat, it's a handy size to travel with. But the colour....both the T34 and this have plastic the same colour as the mat!

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Almost missed this one, will pull up a chair and follow along if I may?

Nice start looking forward to the next update now

Stay safe          Roger

Great to have you along Roger, you haven't missed anything.

Cheers chaps.

Had hoped to proceed this morning, last morning of hols etc but we have a power cut and the kitchen table I'm working from is rather dark unfortunately. :shrug:

Guess I've no excuse but to walk the dog instead and hope it comes back on soon, really need a brew too!

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

What's this ......my god man you haven't finished the other one yet .....must admit to wanting a few items of Israeli armour ...the Shot Kals and the M48-60 based conversions and a couple of Merkavas would be nice ..perhaps a Zelda or two and lets not forget some of the engineering conversions.....and a Nagmachon.............jeez i just spent a grand right there.:crying:

I know, the guilt, the torment!

I've so much to finish off too....:blush:

First piece of Israeli armour I've done, not even sure of the colour it should be....

It would make a refreshing change from those 88mm phalli ! :giggle:

You don't need them all straight away, could try just one at a time. (Yeah I know, as if I would!! :whistle:).

Cheers 

• Haha 1

On 08/10/2021 at 10:40, simmerit said:

Nice start.  I suspect you will be quicker than me as I have an absolute mountain of etch......

Ooooooh!

You won't shame me into investing in a load of am etch and other goodies..:lalala:

:hmmm:....

Anyway back home so a return to ultra slow modelling unfortunately. :waiting:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/10/2021 at 13:35, Bullbasket said:

FINALLY!!

John.

I must admit I'm really keen to see how this stacks up against the AFV club kit. I intend to grab a shot cal for Xmas, I've always really liked and admired IDF Centurions, and fancy the AFV club 1973 shot cal or the amusing hobby.....

• Like 1

Just as soon as I can clear one of the many "WIPs" off the bench I'll be back on it!

So far i rather like it but I'm no expert on the details. 

Hopefully in the next week or two or ....we'll have some progress. 🤞

• Like 1

Just saw a bit of Valley of Tears on TV. Some IDF Shot KALs in defense of the Golan Heights against a lot of Tirans.

One of the Shot Cals was hit. One crew member injured and needed pulling out of the burning turret. Another crew member was trapped by debris and two others went back in to release him.

The crew were in there several minutes with little flames all around. Were Shot Cals particularly fire resistant? Or was this artistic licence?

Edited by echen
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, echen said:

Just saw a bit of Valley of Tears on TV. Some IDF Shot CALs in defense of the Golan Heights against a lot of Tirans.

One of the Shot Cals was hit. One crew member injured and needed pulling out of the burning turret. Another crew member was trapped by debris and two others went back in to release him.

The crew were in there several minutes with little flames all around. Were Shot Cals particularly fire resistant? Or was this artistic licence?

Once any tank is breached it’s pretty much going to burn.
This Tiran business is a bit misleading,although they are Tirans  in the film, the Syrians would have been using T54/55 not an Israeli modified tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

This Tiran business is a bit misleading,although they are Tirans  in the film, the Syrians would have been using T54/55 not an Israeli modified tank.

One lives and one learns. I think the IDF crew referred to the opposition as operating Tirans at one point.

With the IDF using T54/55 tanks they captured in the past  that they started calling 'Tirans', wouldn't it follow that IDF personnel would call T54/55 'Tirans'? ignoring any changes the IDF made. (sort of like. If you use Centurion based tanks you call Oilifants and are attacked be Centurions are you going to take the time to appreciate the differences)

Tom

Edited by Modelholic

• 3 weeks later...

Well rummaged around and dug this out from under a pile of dust.

Still working on the hull. 

Unlike the AFV club kit, from what I've heard and read, the engine deck panels all fit pretty well no sign of the warping that the AFV kit is supposed to suffer from.

spacer.png

The Amusing Hobby etch has been used along with the 3d printed glacis panel, mostly secured with Mr Hobby Mr Cement Deluxe.

spacer.png

Better modellers than I replace the catches, handles, tool boxes,  etc, etc  with AM but TBH i just want to build and enjoy it without get bogged down in AM stuff again unlike the last few builds.

Some aspects of the instructions aren't overly clear regarding placement of various items on the fenders but nothing, so far, that is proving awkward. 

spacer.png

Nice to be building and seeing progress over painting friggin figures.....

Atb

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 13

Concerning etched I'm similar to you by the sounds of it. I'll use parts of it but a lot of the smaller stuff will be left as it will drive me nuts and slow the whole building down. It's looking good. Nearly time for the airbrush.👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Concerning etched I'm similar to you by the sounds of it. I'll use parts of it but a lot of the smaller stuff will be left as it will drive me nuts and slow the whole building down. It's looking good. Nearly time for the airbrush.👍

Absolutely,  whilst some folks do utterly amazing work with it, of which I'm so envious, sometimes you just need to crack on and build particularly if bench time is very limited. 

Going to be awhile before this is in the paintshop I'd imagine, particularly as I've the T34 waiting to go in....

Cheers

• Like 2