1/72 - de Havilland DH.108 Swallow by MikroMir - released

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - de Havilland DH.108 Swallow by MikroMir - sprues - release in 2021

Well, that is interesting news. All these kits of British aircraft from a fascinating period of aviation is doing nothing for stash reduction

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Far be it from me to seek credit, but I've just got my Maintrack vacform kit to the point where it's ready to paint ...

Ah, so it's not just me that it happens to!🙂

• Haha 2

Great though this is first prototype which was for low speed testing, according to a quick glance at Wikipedia to produce the more significant hi-speed version a new nose and cockpit is required and technically increasing the wing sweep from 43 to 45 degs. I guess the high speed version has been available as a vacform and resin kits, not sure about the first prototype.  MikroMir and AMP though continue to release some interesting and overlooked aircraft and helos.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - de Havilland DH.108 Swallow by MikroMir - released

What a cool looking airplane!

During communist times in '80s in Poland selling models of German (Nazi) planes was forbidden, but I was fascinated with the Me 163. What I did? Made "a Komet" of Frog/NOVO DH Vampire fuselage and wings from Il-62 tailplane. The result was very similar to the actuall Swallow. Funny fact - I didn't know about Swallow at that time!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, GrzeM said:

During communist times in '80s in Poland selling models of German (Nazi) planes was forbidden

How enterprising of you!  I am told this was also the case in Yugoslavia, after some WWII veterans made a big fuss about it...

What an interesting subject!  Perhaps Mikro-Mir will follow up with the even less safe high-speed version!

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 3:18 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

What an interesting subject!  Perhaps Mikro-Mir will follow up with the even less safe high-speed version!

The decals show provision for TG306, the one in which Geoffrey De Havilland lost his life preparing for an attempt on the World Speed Record

John

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 11:37 PM, GrzeM said:

What a cool looking airplane!

During communist times in '80s in Poland selling models of German (Nazi) planes was forbidden, but I was fascinated with the Me 163. What I did? Made "a Komet" of Frog/NOVO DH Vampire fuselage and wings from Il-62 tailplane. The result was very similar to the actuall Swallow. Funny fact - I didn't know about Swallow at that time!

A political intervention, or the drastic measures necessary to stop the model kit industry's entire and exclusive output being Messerschmitt 109s and Focke-Wulf 190s?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, Peter Lloyd said:

A political intervention, or the drastic measures necessary to stop the model kit industry's entire and exclusive output being Messerschmitt 109s and Focke-Wulf 190s?

Definitely political. Even Spitfires and Hurricanes, while legally available, had to be in Soviet version (really!).

spacer.png

We had only one "good legal Messerschmitt" available - post war Czech Avia S-99.

spacer.png

Oh, and this one (Avia CS-92), but it was late '80s: (Heller kit packed in Czechoslovakia)

spacer.png

BTW, good joke with the Messerschmitt output 🙂

• Like 5

On 28/11/2021 at 10:21, John R said:

I hope to heaven that they have done a better job than they did with the AW 52. Mind you, that would not be difficult.

John

I was just thinking that.... has anyone dared try this thing yet to compare?

On 11/27/2021 at 3:18 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

How enterprising of you!  I am told this was also the case in Yugoslavia, after some WWII veterans made a big fuss about it...

I believe NOVO were forbidden from buying, or using, the Frog moulds of German aircraft. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Definitely political. Even Spitfires and Hurricanes, while legally available, had to be in Soviet version (really!).

We had only one "good legal Messerschmitt" available - post war Czech Avia S-99.

Oh, and this one (Avia CS-92), but it was late '80s: (Heller kit packed in Czechoslovakia)

BTW, good joke with the Messerschmitt output 🙂

What a crazy world we live in. 

On 11/28/2021 at 10:21 AM, John R said:

I hope to heaven that they have done a better job than they did with the AW 52. Mind you, that would not be difficult.

John

I was very disappointed to hear that the AW 52 kit has issues.  It's a type I would really like to have and was quite excited about its release.  It's not cheap though and if it is as problematic as people have reported I'll have to give it a miss.  Pity. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...