Cannon bulge on the Spit Mk lXc wing

Spitfires Forever

Just now, WV908 said:

Unless Troy or anyone else has any other examples they know of then it looks like the only surviving early Mk.IX with the small chin intake and large cannon bulge *C* wing is BR601, a beautifully turned out warbird living in the US that has quite an incredible history.

Cheers,

WV908

From what I understand a few went to the Middle East and were used by one American Squadron. I believe Eduard does produce an early Mk IX in the configuration we are discussing. I would like to see the real thing though. It may be in the Spitfire registry so I will try to track it down. That was could be a rare bird indeed.

Cheers

The problem is that even BR601 (as the 6th IX off the production line) was modified to the later standard, similar to how MH415 and MH434 are presented now. Unless anyone has modified their early IX back to original condition as BR601 has been, then there just won't be any.

The IX in this early configuration is the kit mentioned at the bottom of the previous page and *looks* to be right for BR601. I'm now scratching my head thinking if I caught her in the UK before she departed to the US, but I don't think I did, sadly.

Cheers,

WV908

On 10/8/2021 at 1:56 AM, Spitfires Forever said:

I have read several articles on the use of surgery on the Hasegawa Mk IX but I am not motivated enough to correct the problem. I have the Barracuda update set for the old Eduard Tempest kit and have yet to get brave enough to "operate" on my Tempest and lengthen the fuselage. What makes it hard is the investment in these older kits especially when the new and much more expensive Eduard kits are so much better but thanks for the advice. Hopefully the MkIX will look pretty close to the real thing when I'm through with it.

Cheers

I have several Hasegawa 1/72 Spitfire IXs, that share the same shape issues with the 1/48 kit, and IMHO it is not worth bothering with correcting these kits !

Not because they aren't wrong, the thin and short fuselage is quite noticeable and also gives problems when using aftermarket decals not specifically designed for these kits. I would not bother for the reason that bringing the fuselage to a more accurate shape would need a lot of work that I find hard to justify when there a much more accurate and detailed kit in the shape of the Eduard Mk.IX series, a kit that is also available at very good prices (at least in Europe).

The Hasegawa kits on the other hand are very nice kits to build and I prefer to build mine without modifications every time I want a relaxing build experience, using them to represent those subjects that I consider interesting enough to build a kit but not as interesting to me to deserve a more accurate kit

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 10:40 AM, WV908 said:

Unless Troy or anyone else has any other examples they know of then it looks like the only surviving early Mk.IX with the small chin intake and large cannon bulge *C* wing is BR601, a beautifully turned out warbird living in the US that has quite an incredible history.

Cheers,

WV908

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I have several Hasegawa 1/72 Spitfire IXs, that share the same shape issues with the 1/48 kit, and IMHO it is not worth bothering with correcting these kits !

Not because they aren't wrong, the thin and short fuselage is quite noticeable and also gives problems when using aftermarket decals not specifically designed for these kits. I would not bother for the reason that bringing the fuselage to a more accurate shape would need a lot of work that I find hard to justify when there a much more accurate and detailed kit in the shape of the Eduard Mk.IX series, a kit that is also available at very good prices (at least in Europe).

The Hasegawa kits on the other hand are very nice kits to build and I prefer to build mine without modifications every time I want a relaxing build experience, using them to represent those subjects that I consider interesting enough to build a kit but not as interesting to me to deserve a more accurate kit

I find it interesting that when done companies scale up or down they build in the same inaccuracies yet when you compare the Academy 1/72 Spit Mk XIV to the 1/48 version the 1/72 is far superior to the 1/48 especially in the shape of the nose. They must have heard the complaints and made the 1/72 scale kit more accurate. But, if the 1/72 kit came out first then they have no excuse for making such an inaccurate kit in 1/48. I am hopeful that Eduard will do a Griffin Spitfire series. I would say Airfix would be a good choice as long as the panel lines are not too deep a la' the Mk XII. I have yet to see an aircraft that looked like a plow outlined the panels.

Cheers