Tamiya LRDG truck with Eduard pe set

metadyne

Starting this re-issued kit of the LRDG truck using the eduard PE set

spacer.png

starting with de seaming the chassis before assembling the springs and axles.

spacer.png

• Like 3

The mold seam lines sanded off and the chassis is altogether, the Eduard PE supplies parts for a replacement front spring bumper.

A stretched sprue replacement bar the same gauge as the kit part.

spacer.png

the pe parts look satisfyingly thinner than the kit supplied one.

spacer.png

• Like 5

starting on the cab parts.

spacer.png

the cab back has pin marks that need filling as they are just visible behind the seat back

spacer.png

the Mr Surfacer 500 is great for these shallow hollows. Annoying but they need to be dealt with.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Eduard parts for the sports windscreens and instruments, they will have to be fitted after painting the cab.

spacer.png

the pe mounts and air grill on the scuttle panel, and the rifle retaining clips on the door posts

spacer.png

• Like 2

the kit provides two .303 rifle types, the yellow original Tamiya, and the grey MB one's.

spacer.png

the Tamiya, though older, have the edge of profile

more pin marks to fill in the rear body panel

spacer.png 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Coming along well my friend. Are the Lee-Enfields the only weapons provided?

Hi Vasstav, in answer to your question no, there's a Boyes anti tank rifle, a Lewis Gun and various other personal weapons, like a MP40 under new management.

one side of the box body going up.

spacer.png

Edited by metadyne
  • Like 3

body test fit to the chassis, I'm a strong believer in early test fits, stops a lot of agro later on down the line with unforeseen problems.

spacer.png

• Like 3

the radio in the kit is the wrong type, so it won't be on show, I'm closing the compartment using the PE lids.

spacer.png

the empty panel to the left looks wrong with the sliding lid slide all the way closed, so I've back filled it so to speak, using a portion of the kit, sliding door, cut to fit.

spacer.png

the lower lid swings down to provide the signaller with a table to rest his morse keypad, signal book and log, and maybe his secret code  booklet, (to be destroyed in case of capture) None of that will feature here as it's all closed up and everyone is lending a hand with a shovel and the sand shields.

spacer.png

• Like 11

3 hours ago, simmerit said:

That is really coming along and looking like a super build.

Cheers

Si

Cheers Si, coming from you that's praise. Loving your AFV builds, very inspirational for me, and I'm sure all who see them on here.

the body gluing down onto the chassis, using a wood peg to force the two closer together while the glue dries. The PE sand flaps and under body storage boxs fitted.

spacer.png

• Like 6

a quick comparison of assembled but not filled or fettled figures from the kit, Tamiya original 70's figure left and MB right, they provide a sign of how far we've come in this past time, driving for improvement and discerning quality, they do represent 40 years of change.

spacer.png

the sundial and sandshields need final adjustment before their positions are right

spacer.png

the Eduard PE chain and hook for the tailgate looks great.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Thanks for popping in Gentlemen, you know there's exciting stages to come, Base colour on, light stone, I've learnt that working the salt technique, and what's more fitting of this process than a desert truck. It'll be sand storm worn by the end. Did I tell you the story of when I was caught in a sandstorm? woke up in my sleeping bag under three inches of sand, well ,it made my Muckers laugh anyway. On with the model. It's looking a bit Ardingly steam fair and showground at the moment, but that is due to change, radically.

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nice work, the pe certainly helps to lift the kit somewhat. 

Sure it'll look great appropriately weathered and beaten up, looking forward to it.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

first salt layer brushed away to reveal the beginning of the effects, let that cure before the next layer of salt.

spacer.png

while that dries, time to work on the other parts and figures.

spacer.png

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Radio Ga-ga said:

Good work there Dave, keep it up mate.

it's like a group within a group, I'll be starting on figures soon, something you know a great deal about.

14 hours ago, Orso said:

I miised this issue of the kit. Does it still have those horrible vinyl tyres that crack?

I know, in this day and age, I hope they've got the boffins on a better Vinyl formula, or I'll be back here in a few years replacing them with resin.

4 hours ago, metadyne said:

it's like a group within a group, I'll be starting on figures soon, something you know a great deal about.

Too kind there mate, I only dabble there are others much better than me.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, metadyne said:

The second layer of salt brushed away after a further different coat of sand.

spacer.png

figures in a base coat.

spacer.png

Salt technique is ideal for sand blasted paintwork.  You've really cracked the use of it there @Metadyne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2