Amusing Hobby 1/35th Centurion Mk5 build

simmerit

Sounds like you didn't have a good 4 day stay, the recuperation period should be good but being used to jump a Harry Potter queue is a bit much. As for watching Youtube  on the op, what went through your head...some things cannot be unseen.

Back to the proper stuff. Going well to this layman and I love the last pic, something about low angle shots.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Sounds like you didn't have a good 4 day stay, the recuperation period should be good but being used to jump a Harry Potter queue is a bit much. As for watching Youtube  on the op, what went through your head...some things cannot be unseen.

Back to the proper stuff. Going well to this layman and I love the last pic, something about low angle shots.

Stuart

to be honest I was OK with it until the lump hammer came out!  I'm told I should be running by March/April.

There is something about the low angle shots - they really bring the model to life.  My debate now it hatches open or closed and tank crew or no tank crew.

• Like 2

Well - i took my first steps around the kitchen with no crutches today - well chuffed!!!!!!  Still cant get up and down stairs without them though!!

Back to the Cent.  Got a quick hour in and done a few bits.

These are lifted from some old Scimitar etch

5217A04B-DFBA-4B02-B4F5-45CFFF53A647

So perfect for the locker on the glacis

B7A5FF66-777D-4716-B1E4-546378340A74

42834E6F-398F-4AAB-9B51-DB2D719D7718

First spare track on.  

5BF50A5B-1DA2-41C3-BF90-B37CDF070D78

The mounts need bending in place to secure it, but that can be done after painting.

I'm now just working my way through a few bits of etch that I will use and a couple of kit bits to do and hopefully I'll have this nailed today.  Assuming my vaccine booster which is at 1340 hrs doesn't wipe me out of course!

Its all happening in sunny Hertfordshire I can tell you!

• Like 11

48 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Mate I envy your strength! Unbelievable... after being hammered so hard you're already in business! 👏

Cheers

LM

Got to crack on.  I think the key is letting the body make the decisions.  The risk is pushing it too hard.

just had my jab so that’s me probably knackered for two days.  That seems to br about the norm from what I’ve heard with the booster 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, viper-30 said:

Good to hear your up and stumbling around.. tank is progressing nicely…oh yes open hatch and crew ..

Thanks Terry.  I've been looking for little fellas to buy today.  There's an OK Korean war set of two blokes, but I'm rapidly thinking I will make my own now I'm a demon with Magic Sculpt.....

Thats will leave me wit 23 blokes to paint.  My figure painting should be much improved by the time I've done them!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Needless to say i've been flat out today following the Covid booster jab yesterday afternoon. Bloody typical!  So nowt done on the Cent.

I have however been looking at a nice site from 2RTR back in the day in the Fatherland in Munster (1954-58).  Some nice piccies of them bombing around on Sennelager in Cents, but I was only interested in what the tankies are wearing at the time as I'm on the hunts for little lads.

562-Mnster-56-58-I

That's 2 RTR in 1954.  Looks like an un-upgraded Mk5.  Not sure what year they binned the WW2 overalls.

571-Alan-Killer-Kilbride-1954

This lad is in battledress.  Again it's 1954.

570-A-K-F-Walker-Hohne-1958

1958, so about 4 years later than I was looking to go for.  Not his best piccie!

Anyway - I'll see if I can ket away with kit figures for the bodies, if not, its Magic sculpt.

Now back on the Cent!

• Like 2

Well. Shaping that then soldering it was a barrel of laughs…….

0AE10230-F3D8-46CF-A88C-AD8C71C3271D

that’s the first exhaust outlet done.  Should have taken the bloody seam out before fitting it though.  Damn!

it’s a bit battered but I think it will be OK.

• Like 10

On 11/16/2021 at 10:56 PM, simmerit said:

Yup the DEF piece is really nice.  I've had to round the ends of the turret by filing them down as the DEF cover doesn't quite fit - its about 1mm short on each side.  Someone has got their measurements wrong - DEF or Amusing Hobby.  Turret is either too wide or the DEF mantlet too narrow.  Hopefully the filing will be OK and not noticeable.  

Wasn't the DEF one designed for the AFV kits

Outstanding, how you can manipulate the pe to create that stuff is beyond me, brilliant!

Those Miniart figures do build up quite nicely, I couldn't do them justice paintwise but nice figures.

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Outstanding, how you can manipulate the pe to create that stuff is beyond me, brilliant!

Those Miniart figures do build up quite nicely, I couldn't do them justice paintwise but nice figures.

good morning! I was going to say early start as I’m flat out in bed but it’s 0900 hrs!

That exhaust has been a real pig to do

CE8E94F1-AB3E-4793-BBA4-3E70FC7DB653

154A0216-2CA0-4B70-A68E-48B02B335E52

I’ve not soldered this one yet.

the straps are heated under a naked flame which makes the PE easy to bend. Not quite cloth like qualities but nearer cloth than brass. Give it a go.

figures not my favourite to do, but by the time I do these I’ll have about 25 blokes lining up to be painted. I’m hoping my figure painting will improve!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now any scaleys out there who know when Larkspur was rolled out?

I’ve just read mid 50s.  My panzer is 1954 and BAOR which I’d assume would have got it first.

The reason for the question is I’m trying to work out what to do about heads for the miniart figures. WW2 berets left a lot to be desired where shaping and wearing them was concerned! Mid 50s seemed to show the first signs of sensible hats. That said, we appear to be wearing beanies now with that cap badge drifting towards the back of the head!

I must be getting old……..

anyone know roughly when larkspur hit BAOR is the question?

24 minutes ago, simmerit said:

Now any scaleys out there who know when Larkspur was rolled out?

I’ve just read mid 50s.  My panzer is 1954 and BAOR which I’d assume would have got it first.

The reason for the question is I’m trying to work out what to do about heads for the miniart figures. WW2 berets left a lot to be desired where shaping and wearing them was concerned! Mid 50s seemed to show the first signs of sensible hats. That said, we appear to be wearing beanies now with that cap badge drifting towards the back of the head!

I must be getting old……..

anyone know roughly when larkspur hit BAOR is the question?

Early 60’s Si :winkgrin: I think BAOR was the first to get it.

I know that we still had bits floating around in the early 90’s such as the morse keys and Control boxes, probably trialled/ small scale issue in the 50’s but widely issued in the early 60’s. 

https://www.cryptomuseum.com/radio/larkspur/index.htm

A bit like Bowman, we were playing with it in the mid 90’s on the bowman trials team but it took over a decade to get it in service ! 

Better Off With A Map And Nokia ! 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

I know that we still had bits floating around in the early 90’s such as the morse keys and Control boxes, probably trialled/ small scale issue in the 50’s but widely issued in the early 60’s. 

https://www.cryptomuseum.com/radio/larkspur/index.htm

A bit like Bowman, we were playing with it in the mid 90’s on the bowman trials team but it took over a decade to get it in service ! 

Better Off With A Map And Nokia ! 

Rgr that (ho ho ho no pun intended). I was just concluding it must have been trial kit they were referring to.

I hope it did better than Ajax is doing!!

• Haha 1

We. I'm clearly rubbish at estimating the amount of time to finish this!

981B1980-993E-4793-8934-D8D95DAE5B88

That's the mount for the 30 cal done.  Its a shame ederwooda didn't make the etch stowage mounts for it.  

65E48119-7BF1-4C66-A03A-95291610DE15

I've used the viewing port and wiper blade.  I think I've got away with it - it was a bit small.

EAF185C3-FB47-470D-8A2A-1714F67A69EA

Thats the mounts for the tools complete also.

96EF469A-603B-4882-8CA3-D489A9ED8551

And the last cover for the drivers periscope is complete.

1435FFA0-6AC2-44B2-ABE8-FE3FCADE9F15

I've got the tow cables to do and one of the cable stowage mounts to make as the etch one vanished having shot off a pair of tweezers at 4,000 mph never to be seen again......

I also managed to knack a couple of other bits which were very fragile, which I'm really cheesed off about having got the two exhausts done.  Anyway, I'll see what I can do about those tomoz.

1F4F5CA7-3B3F-4124-B3C2-9BD6655268D4

Probably another couple of hours to do hopefully tomoz.  Last shot and that's me done for the day as I've had hours on it today!

6C5EE7C8-519E-435E-B739-DE8D42C2B66A

• Like 9