Amusing Hobby 1/35th Centurion Mk5 build

simmerit

4 hours ago, simmerit said:

That bad news is I need two new hips......

Yikes! I don't envy you, that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Good luck with it and the interview.

The DEF cover does look good but seems a bit of a faff to get it to fit. I will need to sculpt one for my Mk.1/prototype  build so I think I will see how that goes before I decide on getting the DEF one for my AVRE build.

Wayne

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Sorry to hear about. My wife did both also, 2 years ago. Its a bit hard...especially the recover... best wishes... 7 is a lucky number for me so hope for you also!

Cheers

LM

It's not great.  The good news is I will run and ski again.  Just not til mid 2022.........

26 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

Yikes! I don't envy you, that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Good luck with it and the interview.

The DEF cover does look good but seems a bit of a faff to get it to fit. I will need to sculpt one for my Mk.1/prototype  build so I think I will see how that goes before I decide on getting the DEF one for my AVRE build.

Wayne

Yup the DEF piece is really nice.  I've had to round the ends of the turret by filing them down as the DEF cover doesn't quite fit - its about 1mm short on each side.  Someone has got their measurements wrong - DEF or Amusing Hobby.  Turret is either too wide or the DEF mantlet too narrow.  Hopefully the filing will be OK and not noticeable.  

On balance, I should have tried to pick up one of these

turret

which is the LionMarc Mk5/1 turret in resin.  Cant get em in the UK though.  It looks very nice.

Not got anything done tonight as preparing for another interview tomoz.  Oh the joys of unemployment............

• Like 3

12 hours ago, simmerit said:

It's not great.  The good news is I will run and ski again.  Just not til mid 2022.........

Well a positive approach always helps a lot. Now that skying thing if you gonna have prothesis like my wife, that's not a good idea, because if you have an accident that could be nasty... Good luck!

Cheers

LM

• Like 1

15 hours ago, simmerit said:

Yup the DEF piece is really nice.  I've had to round the ends of the turret by filing them down as the DEF cover doesn't quite fit - its about 1mm short on each side.  Someone has got their measurements wrong - DEF or Amusing Hobby.  Turret is either too wide or the DEF mantlet too narrow.  Hopefully the filing will be OK and not noticeable.  

On balance, I should have tried to pick up one of these

turret

which is the LionMarc Mk5/1 turret in resin.  Cant get em in the UK though.  It looks very nice.

Not got anything done tonight as preparing for another interview tomoz.  Oh the joys of unemployment............

Some of that LionMarc stuff doesn't seem to be easy to source. I had a look out of curiosity and best I could find was a website in Russia. 

11 minutes ago, Reilly said:

Some of that LionMarc stuff doesn't seem to be easy to source. I had a look out of curiosity and best I could find was a website in Russia. 

I have got my hands on some stuff in the past, but as you shay, its as a rare as rocking horse excrement 

I've made start on sorting the various joins on the turret.  No need to do all of the joins on the side of the turret as the bins cover part of them.  still got the top and bottom of the mantlet cover to do yet.

3EE5FFBB-643F-4CD6-93DB-B4A0B6092D19

B20B8650-FA13-4F83-9671-F7D5D802AA4D

ED9F5708-AD12-44DC-84D9-FBD05B758278

Looks like a healthy coat of Mr Surfacer is going to be required to re-do the casting effect. 

Looking at the glacis, this kit has the same problem as the AFV kit @diablo rsv is on with, which is no casting marks on it either.

• Like 9

really blowing hit and cold on this kit.  I've now filled round the top of the mantlet cover and done a bit more filling on the turret.  It feels like I'm having to put a disproportionate amount of effort into getting the base kit to a standard where I can model the Cent.  This is very different (and not as enjoyable) build experience compared the the InAccurate Armour upgraded Chally's I'm on with of the Cromwell and Centaur - its feels like a right slog.  I think the issue is I'm putting a lot of effort in to make very little progress, if that makes sense?  What an odd build.  I wish I'd done the ARVE first.....

Sorry your not enjoying this build, you a certainly going to end up with a superb replica!

I'm trying to get the enthusiasm to continue with my CR2 build  as I seem to spend loads of time with nothing to show.

Stay safe            Roger

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

Sorry your not enjoying this build, you a certainly going to end up with a superb replica!

I'm trying to get the enthusiasm to continue with my CR2 build  as I seem to spend loads of time with nothing to show.

Stay safe            Roger

Not sure what it is but it’s just not floating my boat. Quite the opposite to my CR2s ironically.

perhaps I need to get back on a flying thing for a break..

• Like 1

I'm a bit late to this one so apologies because your "like" notifications will be through the roof. This is an awesome build so far... really impressive attention to detail. Somebody has already quoted me but I totally get the issue over colours... just a few things which I wanted to correct though:

On 16/10/2021 at 22:12, simmerit said:

Anyway - I had a look at that Cent on the tube on the way in and he did it in SCC15 and the paint is faded with yellow and then he weathered it.  Looks like he must have watched those videos that other lad was on about a couple of posts ago.  His Cent was a Mk3 and he reckons they were painting them with SCC15 in the early 50s.  I cant see it myself - I reckon they were back on Bronze Green by then, which was also the colour used during the inter-war years between WW1 & WW2.

Not quite right... I mixed up the SCC15 but it just didn't look "right" to me... plus I did a lot of cross checking with my Dad (who is still with us), and he agreed - so I mixed up my own NATO green (colour ratios back in my post). The plan for my model presentation was for the Cent to have just come off the range, i.e. to be muddy and dirty but not rusty. He was quite clear about that last point... soldiers are never left idle - and spare time is always filled cleaning and painting.

On 17/10/2021 at 11:07, simmerit said:

Now if you look at that lad that built the Cent for his old man, he went for SCC15 for an early 1950s Cent and his reasoning was 'there was a lot of SCC15 pain about following WW2'. In reality there was a general order from the Ministry of Supply in late 1947 which was issued by the Fighting Vehicle Design Department (FVDD) that all vehicles would be painted Bronze Green from 1st January 1948.  His Cent was a Mk3 - it will have been Bronze Green.  No doubt about it. 

My old man was adamant that the Cents he was moving around day in day out (in Germany) were not Bronze Green. Now of course I'm clueless and his memory may be somewhat subjective but he didn't want the Cent in the same colour as the tractor or trailer. He's happy with his model though and says it is exactly like he remembers them... though he could just be being nice to his son?

In any case, I think you are doing an amazing job on this and will follow along with much interest. At the end of the day it is all subjective and so long as you are happy with the end result and have enjoyed getting there then that is all that matters.

:yes:

1 hour ago, Bonkin said:

I'm a bit late to this one so apologies because your "like" notifications will be through the roof. This is an awesome build so far... really impressive attention to detail. Somebody has already quoted me but I totally get the issue over colours... just a few things which I wanted to correct though:

Not quite right... I mixed up the SCC15 but it just didn't look "right" to me... plus I did a lot of cross checking with my Dad (who is still with us), and he agreed - so I mixed up my own NATO green (colour ratios back in my post). The plan for my model presentation was for the Cent to have just come off the range, i.e. to be muddy and dirty but not rusty. He was quite clear about that last point... soldiers are never left idle - and spare time is always filled cleaning and painting.

My old man was adamant that the Cents he was moving around day in day out (in Germany) were not Bronze Green. Now of course I'm clueless and his memory may be somewhat subjective but he didn't want the Cent in the same colour as the tractor or trailer. He's happy with his model though and says it is exactly like he remembers them... though he could just be being nice to his son?

In any case, I think you are doing an amazing job on this and will follow along with much interest. At the end of the day it is all subjective and so long as you are happy with the end result and have enjoyed getting there then that is all that matters.

:yes:

Thanks for the likes!

Paint is a really tough one as memories fade with time. 

There's a lad doing an Airfix Land Rover 109 at the minute was asking about paint colours.  Now I cant remember ever seeing a bronze green 3/4 tonner, but they must have been about.  NATO green ones or NATO green and black ones, but not a bronze green one - but I know I'm almost certainly wrong. 

We had bronze green 1 tonners in 1982 but I'm certain they had gone by '83.  I can even remember series 2 lightweights in 82 - they must have been some of the last ones around, but I'm buggered if I can remember what colour they were.  I only remember them because of the headlights, which I thought looked cute (I was young..............).

My memory is not bad for nearly 40 years ago.    I'd imagine your old man will be on the nail as he'd have found himself painting them.  I cant see SCC15 being used post 1950 as millions of gallons of the stuff were disposed of - I found a 30 page PDF entirely devoted to the painting of equipment, which went into a lot of depth on the disposal of old stock from WW2.  I hate to admit it, but it was quite an interesting read....

Rusty kit?  Not in a million years!

• Like 1

I'm going for a Mk5/2 as I explained at the beginning of the build.  The L117 is from InAccurate Armour and I'm absolutely delighted (and relieved) to say its one of their better efforts, so well done Derek.  If only my Chally barrels had been that good..

BCB392B8-68D7-487D-BBDD-6EDEEEFBE706

I've got the bins back on as well, so its finally starting to look like a panzer.  I did have a look at the Ederwooda tie down handles to replace the plastic ones on the bins and turret, but they are way too big, so I've gone (again) for the Cent tie downs from InAccurate Armour.  I'll make a start on them tomoz - there are 40 on the etch.  Not sure how many I'll end up using yet.

007FE833-A18F-4B70-89D9-6F39CCBA5051

and

1B41C305-2340-4E52-BF88-D294BCACA1B1

That's me done for the night.  I should be able to crack on with reasonable speed after the first of two new hips, which is on the 7th.  I'll be laid up for about ten days after I get out so the mrs wont be able to bleat about the modelling!

One small tip.  Never watch an operation on youtube before you have it!

• Like 14

Glad to see you stuck with it, it's looking really good. I seem to go through a period on most of my builds when I feel like giving up on them. With these Cents it's often the effort of replacing all of the handles and tie downs that I find tedious, fortunately the prototypes didn't have too many.  The mantlet cover looks to be quite an improvement on the AFV ones despite the extra work.  Looks like your through the worst of it... apart from those handles.

Good luck with the op.

Wayne

On 11/28/2021 at 3:56 PM, diablo rsv said:

Glad to see you stuck with it, it's looking really good. I seem to go through a period on most of my builds when I feel like giving up on them. With these Cents it's often the effort of replacing all of the handles and tie downs that I find tedious, fortunately the prototypes didn't have too many.  The mantlet cover looks to be quite an improvement on the AFV ones despite the extra work.  Looks like your through the worst of it... apart from those handles.

Good luck with the op.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne - its getting there.  The mantlet cover and gun have made a huge difference.  I've still not got the glacis in place and tonight I plan to start the joyous task of the tie downs.....  You are making good progress with yours - the last post was a big leap forwards. I hope I can get a good chunk of time in on mine this week. 

• Like 1

A couple of useful reference shots from a Cent undergoing restoration a few years ago

AFEBCB4B-1A21-42E2-B1DF-8A07C12F4210

Made some progress finally.

E8264F9F-1D00-4DFD-8236-65357F03D2E0

159DE013-5C4A-4024-B184-D7534719B0D1

I used a combination of InAccurate Armour and Ederwooda etch handles and tie downs in the end, which appear to have worked OK.

2FDD66B8-83E4-4251-84BC-5B68856C4213

Still got a bit to do on the bins, but another useful reference shot.  Hopefully I'll get some time in tomoz.

• Like 7

A brief debate about running with just the mounts

5E8D59EB-66DE-4336-9D5A-9190E50DBF4F

Then decided against it.  These are actually not bad.

E2D7C1E9-86DE-437B-BED5-4A04EF159D6A

Not sure how much more I'll get done as she's insisting I clear away the models off her surfaces so she can stick loads of daft Christmas reindeer and Santas and the likes about the place.

I mean come on.  What's not Christmassy about a Cent a couple of Chally 2s and a Cromwell and Centaur? 

Honestly.  Wimmin.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

So I've been abandoned by the mrs and am completely clear til 2300hrs tonight, so I can crack on a bit!

A tactically placed pin mark on the gun crutch.......

3AD91D41-C235-455A-9DCA-B4045AC79189

The Ederwooda etch has the rear track guard too wide, so I had to cut it back.  Fortunately the point at where it needs cutting back is where the etch line is scribed in the brass for the angle/bend, so a bit of wiggling about and the gash piece came off easily.  The kit guards are not the best I'm afraid.

4166C459-993C-476F-9FB8-576A6575F08D

That's the first bin complete.  Quite pleased with the etch which is actually pretty goo.  The lower handle is a teeny bit big, which I can live with (the OCD is strong in this one).  The handle at the top of the bin is supposed to be one of the handles on the turret, but they are way too small.  It is however a good side for the straps that are included in the Ederwooda etch set.  I'm a bit stuck on the turret handles so went with the InAccurate Armour tie downs, which isnt the best solution.  I may come back to them if I can see anything more suitable in my box full of old/spare etch.

Time to have a look at that glacis plate.  I've been ignoring it since starting the build, but I'll have to bite the bullet and sort out the 1mm gap along the bottom where it joins the hull.  There should be a weld line there which is missing.  Not sure if there is one on the AFV club kit either.

Overall impressions of the Amusing Hobby Cent are I'm a tad unAmused with it.  Its a new release and its not cheap.  With the quality of kits being released today, they should have deffo done a better job on this.  I will not be eager to start the AVRE in a hurry.

Only one thing to do in a situation like this.  Poached eggs on Avocado on toast for lunch.  Shame its no wine o'clock yet.....

• Like 8