Amusing Hobby 1/35th Centurion Mk5 build

simmerit

That's a beauty. Top building. I know what you mean about monocolour and without knowing how you plan to finish the vehicle but I was thinking a load of stowage would help break it up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tigerausfb said:

That's a beauty. Top building. I know what you mean about monocolour and without knowing how you plan to finish the vehicle but I was thinking a load of stowage would help break it up.

thank you.  I think it’s going to have to be a combination of white and black pre shade then a combination of mid bronze green and deep bronze green to cast the effect of light and shadow on the panzer. That’s where my head is at the moment anyway.  

• Like 2

Coming along nicely Si,

I like the look of those grab handles now you have some primer on them, I need to invest in some of those.

I used to use Halford's primer as it is convenient but I also started to get inconsistent results, I even tried decanting it so I could put it on with an airbrush to get more control. Nowadays I think it's hard to beat Mr.Surfacer but that's if you're happy using lacquers.

Looking forward to seeing some paint on it.

Wayne

2 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Coming along nicely Si,

I like the look of those grab handles now you have some primer on them, I need to invest in some of those.

I used to use Halford's primer as it is convenient but I also started to get inconsistent results, I even tried decanting it so I could put it on with an airbrush to get more control. Nowadays I think it's hard to beat Mr.Surfacer but that's if you're happy using lacquers.

Wayne

Yup - I think I ddi my Centaur with Mr Surfacer, but its a tad pricey.  I normally stick the Halford tin on a radiator for an hour til its boiling hot and give ita good spray before spraying the model and when I do that its fine.  I did a short cut with the hatches and it didnt work.  Not do that again!

1 hour ago, diablo rsv said:

Wayne

Hi Wayne, which of the Halford primers..?

I also tend to use the Halfords stuff but the Bodyshop one, both black and grey, as opposed to the standard grey. So far 🤞 it's been ok, the Bodyshop one almost has a self-levelling effect. When it goes down it can look worryingly thick but once dry levels out nicely. (Please experiment with it for yourselves on a scrap hulk rather than just take my word though!)

I've actually got a can on the radiator too as I type!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

It was this one (not my image by the way) but it's a long time since I used it so I don't know if they still do it.

wZf20Wvl.jpg

Unfortunately Wayne according to Imgur the picture no longer exists. 

They used to do two different grey primers the standard and the slightly more expensive Bodyshop version. 

This is the Bodyshop version..

spacer.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

I think it was the standard one Darryl. I seem to recall that it listed that it was suitable far plastic.

I've used the bodyshop one for a little while now.

No idea how anything other than acrylics work on it and the black at least does require multiple light dry coats to start otherwise the paint will bead. 

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I've used the bodyshop one for a little while now.

No idea how anything other than acrylics work on it and the black at least does require multiple light dry coats to start otherwise the paint will bead. 

This is what I used

B61B420C-D5EE-4EE5-8DB1-4947156E327F

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, simmerit said:

This is what I used

Yep that's the standard/regular grey primer.  

Might be worth trying the bodyshop version, I've just been using it this eve. 

First time I tried it gave me a brief "moment" as it looked very heavy, wet and about to run, however it settles nicely and dries fairly quickly. 

As I mentioned earlier I find it needs a few light dry coats once you start to paint over it, certainly with the black at least.  

20 hours ago, simmerit said:

This is what I used

B61B420C-D5EE-4EE5-8DB1-4947156E327F

I not a big fan of cans...The Tamyia are great with a great finish, but sometimes other brands give you some awful finish.

I'm thinking to go to a store  to make me some acrylic paint with a scan of the paint I want, so I will have one 750ml for 12€. Must test that before, but it will be definitely cheaper...

Cheers

LM

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping to be back on this next week.  Been doing jobs On the house at the weekend to avoid grief for the last two  weeks.  Nice to see the other two Cent builds looking so good.

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 2