Amusing Hobby 1/35th Centurion Mk5 build

simmerit

On 1/3/2022 at 1:01 PM, Das Abteilung said:

Here's the cable joint.  The ends are joined with the 2 crimp ferrules and there are twine bindings either side to keep the cables together - similar to those by the end thimbles.

spacer.png

Heres the cable connector.

spacer.png

Thank you.  I must admit I thought that they were all single lengths of cable.  First time I've seen one with a joint like that. 

If you think about it, there is inevitably a join in every double cable made like this.  That being said we Brits were about the only ones who used doubled cables.  Most everyone else used single cables which are of course jointless.  Why we did it is unclear but strength and redundancy would be sensible mechanical reasons.  In the earlier wartime MkIV cable (Cromwell etc) the join was in the twine-bound centre section and thus not immediately evident.  The only US use of a doubled cable I can recall was the bridle assembly designed for use with the automatic tow hook introduced on M32s very late in WW2.  Israel continued to use the basic Centurion design for the Magach and earlier Merkava 1/2s although we reverted to single cables with Chieftain.

It also depends whether the cable uses cast end eyes heat-fitted to the cable - again pretty much everyone other than us Brits - or pressed metal thimbles around which the cable is wrapped and bound.  This method is cheaper and quicker and can be both made and repaired in the field.  I recall being instructed in making cables like this as a Sapper reservist back in the 90s.  The MkIV and Centurion cables were made in this way: one single piece of cable wrapped around both end thimbles with the 2 ends overlapped and crimp jointed.  In the field bolted U clamps would be used to make or repair the join.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

If you think about it, there is inevitably a join in every double cable made like this.  That being said we Brits were about the only ones who used doubled cables.  Most everyone else used single cables which are of course jointless.  Why we did it is unclear but strength and redundancy would be sensible mechanical reasons.  In the earlier wartime MkIV cable (Cromwell etc) the join was in the twine-bound centre section and thus not immediately evident.  The only US use of a doubled cable I can recall was the bridle assembly designed for use with the automatic tow hook introduced on M32s very late in WW2.  Israel continued to use the basic Centurion design for the Magach and earlier Merkava 1/2s although we reverted to single cables with Chieftain.

It also depends whether the cable uses cast end eyes heat-fitted to the cable - again pretty much everyone other than us Brits - or pressed metal thimbles around which the cable is wrapped and bound.  This method is cheaper and quicker and can be both made and repaired in the field.  I recall being instructed in making cables like this as a Sapper reservist back in the 90s.  The MkIV and Centurion cables were made in this way: one single piece of cable wrapped around both end thimbles with the 2 ends overlapped and crimp jointed.  In the field bolted U clamps would be used to make or repair the join.

I dont know what on earth I was thinking about!!!!!  

Thanks lads.  I've been pretty quiet since just before Crimbo waiting for bits to turn up for her the mrs to get her crimbo cr@p down, so I could crack on a bit, and I started a new job on Tuesday which looks like its going to occupy a lot of time.  Anyway,  I'm just getting the cabling on now for the smoke canisters.  

30646E60-F021-457D-B58E-DBD3780E1DA0

Two more to do and they are a proper ball ache as they are .4mm brass rod.  I've still got to do the reenforcement strips on the top of those tool boxes yet as well, so lots of little niggles to sort on the snag list.

I was starting to get nervous about the new hip - the mrs has been in a proper panic for the last 4 weeks as she was convinced the ops had failed, which would have been bad news as I'd have had to have it re-done and that's 12 weeks on crutches............  I looks like after nearly 5 weeks I'm off the crutches, which is fortunate as the effects of the hydrocortisone injection in the good (ha ha) hip are wearing off and that's giving me grief now!!!!!  Looking increasingly unlikely that I'll be running again in March...........................  Never a dull moment!!

Having now had a look at the 30 cal, which is also a thing of beauty, its going in a box with the 50 cal I had a look at.  I'm going to stick with the kit 30 cal and stick a Master 30 cal barrel on it.  The cradle and mount look too hard to scratch reproduce and do them justice. 

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 11

Loving your detail work 👍🏻. It's ssooooooo straight!! 😎. You have the patience of a saint to put all those PE cleats all over it. I tried and mine has been sitting on the shelf for a year 😂

Enjoying this very much.

Andrew

• Like 1

Coming along well mate your doing a fabulous job .. take your time with your hip no point rushing it at all .

as an aside have you had a look at http://scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk

they are starting to bring out a range of centurion bits ..I realise it’s too late for this one but for the next five you build 🙂.

stay well mate keep up that great work ..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, viper-30 said:

Coming along well mate your doing a fabulous job .. take your time with your hip no point rushing it at all .

as an aside have you had a look at http://scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk

they are starting to bring out a range of centurion bits ..I realise it’s too late for this one but for the next five you build 🙂.

stay well mate keep up that great work ..

yep see the new stuff but it’s the later MKs but who knows, I may do another one for the ARVE.

quite fancy a Churchill at some point.

anyway - all the best Terry mate.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, APA said:

Beautiful stuff. This is really getting me in the mood to finish mine 😊👍

Andrew 

I've got two Chally 2s, a Cromwell and Centaur to finish - all are about 90% there. I enjoyed doing all of them and you can appreciate what great bits of kit they are, but I have to say the Cent is a marvellous piece of armour. I don’t know what it is about it, but it is a cut above. A piece of design and engineering class. Crack on bud.  Get it done. The lads than manned these must have loved them.

12 hours ago, edjbartos said:

It's looking better and better, the Master barrel looks tremendous...

Yes, that's true, what Ed said.

Sad, but some mistakes could not be avoided - I notice a huge mismatch between the real tank and the model in the second and third photos - in the third photo is no mountains! :D

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Haha 1

That's the last cable on

BACF6321-A462-4BF6-B463-40AAC8DA471A

So the Turret is now ready to prime but its now dark and I'm on the razz in a bit!

55C4B9F7-495B-44A0-8125-46372CBE4193

and just working my way round the fenders to get the mounts for the skirts on.  These are from InAccurate Armour 

D99D5157-6773-421D-85E2-BBE67BC7F5A7

So I should get the turret done tomorrow morning and the rest of the mounts round the skirts.  Running out of things to do now.

I could drill two holes in each one of those supports for the skirts I suppose if the OCD gets hold of me.  Wish I hadn't mentioned that.....

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, simmerit said:

I could drill two holes in each one of those supports for the skirts I suppose if the OCD gets hold of me.  Wish I hadn't mentioned that.....

Bearing in mind all the incredible detail elsewhere on this build - do you have a choice?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Even without paint looks perfect!

Vytautas

Apart from the fact thats I've just dropped the hatches and the D10 cable drum in detol as the Halfords finest has gone a bit grainy.......  I'll have to re-do them.

I've been a big fn of Halford's finest for years, but I always approach priming with it with great trepidation as unless is properly warmed through and shaken, it does finish like its got a coat of dust all over it.  I stood the tin on hot water for 10 but dont think I shook it enough before doing the bloody hatches.  The turret (fortunately) has turned out fine or it would also be stood in detol t the minute.  Phew!  

• Like 3

No disasters fortunately and the Halfords finest has been on a radiator for an hour so its nice and warmed through, so should apply just fine now

5FC688DF-20CC-43C4-B621-D315588041B4

That's half an hour in Detol and gentle scrub with a 1/2 inch flat paint brush.  Cant whack a bit of Detol 

• Like 6

There you go.  Happy with that

AA689827-5438-48DD-A2CF-07134E1745C0

These illustrate the problem I was on about at the start of this build, which is basically running the risk of being a singe block colour.

E1BFA777-9F59-4255-B985-9EE4A676AEB8

C488851C-5FF0-4D81-8337-DCC9D803DF46

So some careful consideration needs applying to the effect of light on the Bronze Green.  Still.  I'm a way away from tackling that problem yet!

52F1FCE3-FC01-4A1E-BB9E-B965A454D5B6

That's me done for the day.  A glass of wine is calling my name 🙂

• Like 11