Universal Carrier MMG MkII (1/35 Riich Models)

APA

On 12/31/2021 at 2:31 PM, Hairtrigger said:

The detail in that is mind boggling....  The sort of model you would spend a very long time completing.  I must price that model, but think outside my skill level by miles.

Thanks Hairtrigger, well I am into my third month! so yes you do have to take your time 😁. The kit wasn't too expensive if I remember but yes it isn't a simple build. A lot of PE but having said that it all went together well. Just take your time.

On 12/31/2021 at 2:36 PM, Modelholic said:

Bravo!

If there was an emoji for a standing ovation I'd post dozens of them!

Tom

Thanks Tom

Glad your liking it. Just a thumbs up will do 😉👍🏻

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's the details that add the interest to a model, and this has got it in spades. Excellent work Andrew.

John.

Yep, I do like a busy build, afterall most vehicles were home as well as fighting vehicles so there will always be lots of 'stuff' around. I forgot to include all the soft furnishings in the pic. I'll add put them in when I've done all the bits.

6 hours ago, edjbartos said:

So much extra work that you have put into this, It looks absolutely fabulous, I particularly like the neat PE work you have done...Brilliant 👍

Ed

Cheers Ed. Well to my eye most of the PE is a bit 'wonky'. I think I'll end up with more bits than I started with on the sru's at this rate! I've got a few tools to do yet! 🙄

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

That is really all very impressive 

Rob

Cheers Rob. Glad your liking it 😁

Cheers all

Andrew

• Like 2

Finally on to the paint. I've changed my primer. I wasn't happy with the Vallejo grey. It always seemed too thick and gloopy no matter how much I thinned it. I've tried a few AK paints and liked them so got their black primer. I like it and will do the reverse shading with a bit of white on the edges.

20220109_163650

Primer went on really nicely and the bogies were fixed and reinforced with styrene rod.

20220109_163713

I've redon a few bits, the barrels are new using 0.5mm pipe and CA glue turned down to create the taper. Added a few details like chain and cork to the Vickers, One of the helmets will be facing out so added the innerd to it. Also did the cloth elements.

20220109_163704

Redid the barrel covers as they were a little too big and a selection of random spares and parts to scatter around.

20220109_163658

And a couple of hundred spent 303 cartridges made from 0.3mm brass tube. Thankfully I won't have to paint them all 😁 There are two sets as the left hand set are more in scale for lengtj. The right hand side are all a bit too long but will do for a pile in a tin.

20220109_163748

On to the base colours next. Getting to the fun stuff 😁

Andrew

• Like 16

Morning Andrew, Looking fantastic!

Which AK primer did you use please, is it the 3rd generation stuff? The only paint i seem to fine sparys well as a primer is Tamiya, so am keen to find an alternative.

Thanks, George

11 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Morning Andrew, Looking fantastic!

Which AK primer did you use please, is it the 3rd generation stuff? The only paint i seem to fine sprays well as a primer is Tamiya, so am keen to find an alternative.

Thanks, George

Yep 3rd Gen Black Primer. It's pretty thick aso I thinned it about 50/50 with Vallejo airbrush thinners.

20220110_201246

Andrew

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

An immaculate job so far.

Cheers

LM

Thanks LM. Appreciated

1 hour ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Cracking build!  Now on my "one for the stash" list.

Thanks AJ. Yes it's small but you get your moneys worth. 

1 hour ago, edjbartos said:

Very nice smooth paintwork, this is going to be an absolutely gorgeous model

Ed

Thanks Ed. Chuffed with it myself 😊

I don't want to start a paint fight but that AK primer was a joy to use. Went on with no trouble. Compared to the vallejo paints which have an annoying habit of cloggingand sputtering in the airbrush. I'm converted. Trouble is I've got a hundred vallejo pots to replace now 🙄 and my SCC15 mix is a very simple 50/50 mix of vallejo. 

Andrew 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, APA said:

Thanks LM. Appreciated

Thanks AJ. Yes it's small but you get your moneys worth. 

Thanks Ed. Chuffed with it myself 😊

I don't want to start a paint fight but that AK primer was a joy to use. Went on with no trouble. Compared to the vallejo paints which have an annoying habit of cloggingand sputtering in the airbrush. I'm converted. Trouble is I've got a hundred vallejo pots to replace now 🙄 and my SCC15 mix is a very simple 50/50 mix of vallejo. 

Andrew 

The answer to that is a simple airbrush blower. Its cheap does the work  and its easier to clean. Using that lately for priming with Oneshot. If I remember well its a Revell one.

Cheers

LM

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 7:03 PM, Lazy Modeller said:

An immaculate job so far.

Cheers

LM

So far yes. The weathering devil is yet to strike 🙄

On 1/12/2022 at 7:37 PM, Alpha Juliet said:

Cracking build!  Now on my "one for the stash" list.

Yep I would highly recommend it. 

On 1/12/2022 at 7:56 PM, edjbartos said:

Very nice smooth paintwork, this is going to be an absolutely gorgeous model

Ed

I admire your faith Ed 😂 Cheers

On 1/12/2022 at 9:49 PM, Lazy Modeller said:

The answer to that is a simple airbrush blower. Its cheap does the work  and its easier to clean. Using that lately for priming with Oneshot. If I remember well its a Revell one.

Cheers

LM

Thanks, I'll bear it in mind 👍🏻

13 hours ago, vytautas said:

I really like your painting - great surface and light and shadow ratio. And all details look very impressive.

Vytautas

Thanks Vyautas. Yes I'm pretty please myself. Airbrush behaved it's self this time, mostly!

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It looked good in it's birthday suit, and looks even better fully clothed. I look forward to seeing the detail picked out. Nice work.

John.

Thanks John. Yes me to, that's when she really comes alive

9 hours ago, IanC said:

Quite incredible detail. And I thought I was doing well adding some eduard etch to the old Tamiya clunker.

Thanks Ian, 95% of that detail is straight out the box on the actual build.

Painted the tires and seats black this evening. Didn't bother with pics as, well, their black tires and seats 😁

Quick question, I assume the seats were black leather? If anyone knows?

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 3

Managed to grab a quick couple of hours this evening as I was eager to get this thing whole.

Have to say this was a bit of a pain. Tracks are link and length and fit beautifully but since they are so small and the upper section is so tight in the grooves it took a bit of brute force. They eventually went in but still need adjusting slightly.

20220115_181257

20220115_181311

Bit of inadvertent weathering on the side there 🙄

20220115_181318

20220115_181518

You've probably noticed the paint rubbing off the PE. I did expect that but not to that extent. More worrying is the paint rubbing of the styrene. Along the top edge of the sides. The Vallejo never did that. Hmmmm. It was very easy to scrape off to glue the side skirts on as well. Too easy. I know Vallejo paints are more 'rubbery' and others are more 'chalky' but I expect a primer to do its job better than that!!

20220115_181330

Very oddly the spare wheel and can painted black are gloss!! How the hell!!

20220115_181305

Hopefully that should be it for the manhandling and I can be a bit more delicate with her.

Hope to get a couple of hours in during the week and a solid few sessions next weekend.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 7

Looks very nice!

It seems that the primer you are using has reduced the adhesion instead of increasing it. 
I used to use a primer, but I realized that it's not worth it... I noticed that Tamiya acrylic adhesion is better than many primers.

Vytautas

• Like 2

I'm sot of on the fence regarding primer.

Did you wipe/wash the surfaces down first? 

Often I think another layer of basecoat Tamiya is just as good as my go to primer (Halfords Acrylic grey or red) even if using Vallejo (but you've got to use some sort of primer with Vallejo).

Tom

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vytautas said:

Looks very nice!

It seems that the primer you are using has reduced the adhesion instead of increasing it. 
I used to use a primer, but I realized that it's not worth it... I noticed that Tamiya acrylic adhesion is better than many primers.

Vytautas

11 hours ago, Modelholic said:

I'm sot of on the fence regarding primer.

Did you wipe/wash the surfaces down first? 

Often I think another layer of basecoat Tamiya is just as good as my go to primer (Halfords Acrylic grey or red) even if using Vallejo (but you've got to use some sort of primer with Vallejo).

Tom

Thanks both. I must confess that I don't wash before priming. I've not had I'll effects with vallejo primer however it looks like AK may be more prone. 

Primer does level everything out and give you a blank canvas so I'm a fan. 

I'll keep an eye on things and decide which to go with after this build. Quit happy to change my system if it improves things. 

Just a bit nervous about when I start on the solvent based stuff like washes etc 😳 I'll test it on the underside. 

Andrew 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I still swear by Halfords grey acrylic auto primer. Never had a problem with it. That aside, the details are bringing this to life. Nice work Andrew.

John.

Thanks john

I've always wondered about rattle cans especially non modeling ones. Surely Halford stuff would be too thick and heavy? How do you get into the knooks and cranny? 

Andrew