Universal Carrier MMG MkII (1/35 Riich Models)

APA

21 hours ago, APA said:

This is getting rather eye watering! It's been mostly PE this weekend with the odd bit of plastic. Had a bit of trouble with the headlight as the instructions weren't very clear and so I cocked it up. Had to make a new bit of. bracket. 

I'm loathe to cover that battery so I'm looking into what to do with the shelf which sits above which should carry the portable stove. You can see on the right of the picture a PE basket. There are about 5 of those in total!

20211128_163026

I've decided to have the rear storage box open. The kit one is not conducive to this so I'll be making a scratch one next weekend. Up till now this kit has been as per instructions. The 'rabbit hole' for this kit will be the Vickers machine gun. It will be in bits so along with the storage box the gun and mount will have some scratch build.

20211128_163015

Despite my dislike of unnecessary PE I must say all bar a couple of the pieces in this kit are worthy of inclusion. I'm almost enjoying doing them!

20211128_163006

I had almost missed a very obscure little PE part in the corner of the instructions. It wasn't until I saw the "x16" that I realised it was for the pole brackets along the outside. They actually made up quite easily.

20211128_162958

I've done about 98% of the plastic and about 70% of the PE. The MG mount looks a right mare 😳

Cheers all

Andrew

Goodness, that's good. Now you've done the brackets are you going to fit the deep wading screens? 😄

You're going to have an exquisite model when it's done. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:28 PM, vytautas said:

Looks amazing!

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas it's an amazing kit! 

On 11/28/2021 at 10:42 PM, edjbartos said:

Very impressive work, super detail, you’ve done a marvellous job in putting this together...

Ed

Thanks Ed appreciated 

On 11/29/2021 at 6:15 PM, IanC said:

Goodness, that's good. Now you've done the brackets are you going to fit the deep wading screens? 😄

You're going to have an exquisite model when it's done. 

Thanks Ian, don't tempt me. Lots of pics with them still fitted inland 😉

Andrew 

• Like 2

Almost there! I think, apart from the accessories like equipment, cans and all that, this little beauty is done. Oh apart from sticking the wheels and tracks on of course.

Scratch built rear storage box and hanger since the kit one wasn't suited to being open

20211205_161720

I found some 0.5mm brass rod so I might change the rear bag frame

20211205_161734

20211205_161744

The cages were a right fiddle but with patience they worked out ok. The white filler is to fill in the arial mount slot which this vehicle didn't have.

20211205_161753

20211205_161805

The gun mount was really fiddly but worth it. Modified a little as the Vickers and ammo tin won't be mounted. I've replaced the shoulder stock as the kit was just a flat piece of PE.

20211205_161831

20211205_161844

On to the gun next and all the baggage.

Cheers all

Andrew

• Like 18

On 12/5/2021 at 6:51 PM, vytautas said:

With those small PE details look perfect!

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas. I wouldn't say perfect but it is fun 😁

22 hours ago, IanC said:

I'm in awe. The best carrier I've seen modelled.

Don't muck it up... 😄

Cheers Ian, 'muck it up'? What could possibly go wrong 😂 I'm sure I'll do something stupid and have to dismantle loads of bits an not get it quite as good as it was before.🙄

22 hours ago, Courageous said:

Some nice bling among the plastic, nice.

Stuart

Yeah it's all getting a bit PE with a bit of Styrene init 😎

10 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Only just discovered this.. Looks absolutely stunning 👍, almost be a shame to paint it...!

Tah PotW. I know what you mean. Still, the paint should cover the little sins scattered around it 😉

10 hours ago, Model Mate said:

lovely delicate PE work - I hope the painting stage won't be too much of a challenge!

Have to say I've actually enjoyed this PE. Nothing different to any other PE stuff but because there was so much it started to become 'the norm'. The air brushing wont be too difficult it's the weathering I'm worried about. I do tend to use the 'scrubbing' and 'If it doesn't go on first time press harder' method of application

4 hours ago, Patrykd said:

Where did you buy the PE set for this model? Which brand are te PE parts?

No aftermarket needed. Apart from the rear box and canvas bag on the rear which I scratched everything you see comes with the kit. Riich models don't muck about, you get three sheets of PE with it. Apart from one piece (The butt for the gun mount which I also replaced) they all are worth it.

Andrew

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while but slowly getting on with it when time permits. It's down to the scratch nitty gritty now with all the bits and bobs to do. 

Re did the frame for the rear canvas basket so it's in scale

20211226_171527

Added a bit more bling to the front in the way of the tow cable

20211226_171538

Remade the plate which sits over the battery.

20211219_123902

Made some old tins for stuff to be put in, made up the various cans needed, some random stuff for the rear bin and improved the Vickers gun tripod.

20211226_171920

Oh and did the brush :) A bit thick but should be ok. And I've added some better handles to the sides of the ammo tins. They will also get straps. It all needs tidying up btw

20211226_171937

Should hopefully be able to do a lot more in the week :)

Cheers all and a merry christmas etc 👍🏻

Andrew

• Like 17

Thanks Lummox 

MKII worked out better. Bristles from Mrs APA makeup brush, rather than glue the bristles on I cut the profile out and stuffed them through then superglued. 

Bonkers!! 🤔 it works 😜 Did a bit of sweeping up on the old bench after 😁

Andrew 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Great stuff.. I never knew a bren gun carrier came with it's own "tidy up" brush ! :)

We'll if it isn't a dirty great Vickers spilling cases all ove the place its a Bren. I'd say it's essential kit 😁

Andrew 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scratch built Vickers Machine Gun. I have both the Kit version and a Miniarts one to choose from but I wanted it in a semi disassembled state as it's having it's barrel changed so no other option than to make it from scratch. The only kit bit is the double grip.

20211229_175857

Looking at those barrels they do still look a bit thick. I turned down some styrene rod in the Proxxon.

20211229_175905

20211229_175923

Cheers all

Andrew

• Like 10