Universal Carrier MMG MkII (1/35 Riich Models)

APA

I couldn't have got it more wrong 😐

Single bogey upside down and double bogey back to front 🙄

Taking the positive they will be left off until the rest of the build is finished. 

All good fun init 😏

Andrew 

• Like 2

I did that once with a Tamiya carrier. A very easy mistake to make.

Still, could have been worse...

give me a minute...

erm...

no, I've got nothing!

Tom

Edited by Modelholic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Modelholic said:

I did that once with a Tamiya carrier. A very easy mistake to make.

Still, could have been worse...

give me a minute...

erm...

no, I've got nothing!

Tom

It could have been a churchill? 😏🤣

Andrew 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What a great choice of subject. It's a relief to see others experience a hiccup or two during assembly. Nice work.

Riich Models? New to me. There are so many obscure manufacturers now.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:54 PM, Maginot said:

What a great choice of subject. It's a relief to see others experience a hiccup or two during assembly. Nice work.

Riich Models? New to me. There are so many obscure manufacturers now.

Thanks Maginot, yes I'd never heard of them until I found out about this kit. They do a wide range of stuff and yes there are quite a few new boys on the scene who do a refreshing range of non Tiger / Sherman / T34 subjects. We are living in good times 😁

So we are really getting into the meat of this build now. A few little bits added in the cockpit along with the seats. It all got shut down then covering quit a lot of exquisite detail!!

Wheels are off until the very last minute

20211031_181638

Seats in and time to close up

20211031_170952

The seats were an absolute nightmare to assemble. Mostly PE which cannot be glued unless in position. Which in effect means it needs about 5 pairs of mouse size hands hands.I did use the Kristal Klear trick as used by @Lummox but I gave up and added some posts to keep them in place. They would never last to the end of the build in one piece anyway!

20211031_142931

20211031_163644

You can actually see quit a bit of detail afterall which is nice

20211031_181625

One piece I decided not to fit os this pipework. It is fixed to the underside of the front glacis. Cudos to Riich Models but there are limits!

20211031_173555

Now I do have a big concern. There appears to be a bloody big hole left and I can't for the life of me see any part to cover it. This can't be right surely? @Modelholic what does your look like on the cab wall? Is it a hole with the engine exposed?

20211031_182130

That's 90% of the cab done. It's on to the rear now.

Cheers all

Andrew

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

The mortar version has the same cut-outs.

I assume they're to let air in to cool the radiator.

I used a similar 'fix' for the seat supports. I was considering getting the crew figure set at one point (then un-considered it!) and thought the PE supports wouldn't hack me fitting them in place..

Good to see your corners matched up! I still can't see what's wrong with mine! (and it's too late to alter anything now)

Tom

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

The mortar version has the same cut-outs.

I assume they're to let air in to cool the radiator.

I used a similar 'fix' for the seat supports. I was considering getting the crew figure set at one point (then un-considered it!) and thought the PE supports wouldn't hack me fitting them in place..

Good to see your corners matched up! I still can't see what's wrong with mine! (and it's too late to alter anything now)

Tom

Thanks Tom

The difference is you have a radiator. I just have a big hole! 🤨

Yes I was thinking of you when I fitted the front. It can be tricky to fit as it has to slot into a few channels. I had a couple of goes with the engine covers before it sat right. 

Andrew 

• Like 2

No rad or engine with the mortar carrier.

TBH I can't see much through the holes looking at my carrier.

A piece of plasticard scored up and down with a saw blade and painted/positioned appropriately would suffice for what you can see.  

I now wish I'd thought of that earlier!

Tom

Oh right. It's still a big hole though. Pitty I didn't think of adding a bitsa radiator from the spares box 🤣

Might end up draping a ground sheet over the cazum 😳

Andrew 

• Like 1

I've had a quick look at the instructions for the 35027 carrier kit here:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/8/1/3/250813-28-instructions.pdf

The radiator seems to be placed a fair way back in the engine compartment so not very visible through those holes..

I'm wondering if the two PE parts Pb6 and Pb24 were moveable to allow extra cooling? The rear of the slots in the bottom of these parts looks to align with the front of the radiator

Tom

Edited by Modelholic
bad spelling
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Modelholic said:

I've had a quick look at the instructions for the 35027 carrier kit here:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/8/1/3/250813-28-instructions.pdf

The radiator seems to be placed a fair way back in the engine compartment so not very visible through those holes..

I'm wondering if the two PE parts Pb6 and Pb24 were moveable to allow extra cooling? The rear of the slots in the bottom of these parts looks to align with the front of the radiator

Tom

Really appreciate the efforts here Tom. Yes it does seem to be back a bit. I might slip a bit of black card set back into the hole to at least give the impression of something there. 

The PE24 and PE16 panels may well be that. Rather pointless in the kit though. Could quit easily be moulded as part of the side sections. 

Once again thanks for the research Tom. Appreciated👍

Andrew 

• Like 2

On 31/10/2021 at 13:29, APA said:

Thanks Maginot, yes I'd never heard of them until I found out about this kit. They do a wide range of stuff and yes there are quite a few new boys on the scene who do a refreshing range of non Tiger / Sherman / T34 subjects. We are living in good times 😁

So we are really getting into the meat of this build now. A few little bits added in the cockpit along with the seats. It all got shut down then covering quit a lot of exquisite detail!!

Wheels are off until the very last minute

20211031_181638

Seats in and time to close up

20211031_170952

The seats were an absolute nightmare to assemble. Mostly PE which cannot be glued unless in position. Which in effect means it needs about 5 pairs of mouse size hands hands.I did use the Kristal Klear trick as used by @Lummox but I gave up and added some posts to keep them in place. They would never last to the end of the build in one piece anyway!

20211031_142931

20211031_163644

You can actually see quit a bit of detail afterall which is nice

20211031_181625

One piece I decided not to fit os this pipework. It is fixed to the underside of the front glacis. Cudos to Riich Models but there are limits!

20211031_173555

Now I do have a big concern. There appears to be a bloody big hole left and I can't for the life of me see any part to cover it. This can't be right surely? @Modelholic what does your look like on the cab wall? Is it a hole with the engine exposed?

20211031_182130

That's 90% of the cab done. It's on to the rear now.

Cheers all

Andrew

No radiator is a fault in both the MMG and mortar carriers.
Tab down a little in this thread from Maple Leaf up. The Mk II carrier pictured has the factory plywood radiator cover fitted. I think it was to aid in warming up the carrier. Anyway, a little sheet plastic, some brownish paint and you're away. It even fits on the little sill that's already there. The little knob thing has to come off and go on the cover. You may have to cut and paste the link.
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29949&highlight=universal+carrier+radiator+cover

Cheers

Bill Inglee

On 31/10/2021 at 13:29, APA said:

A fascinating build so far. Really impressive detail. I've looked at getting one of these a few times but have always shied away - it just seems too fiddly.

I'll wait for Tamiya to retool theirs instead.. 😄

On 31/10/2021 at 20:29, APA said:

There appears to be a bloody big hole left and I can't for the life of me see any part to cover it. This can't be right surely?

Considering the detail they have put into this kit I'm surprised that they haven't supplied a radiator in this version as it is quite visible as can be seen in the photo below.  

lvx7s5K.jpg

Wayne

• Like 1

Looks like you could just swap the assemblies from one side to the other (assuming the other side is similarly done)?  The Riich kits are extremely well-done as are their related Combat Armor Models (CAMs) which uses the best quality styrene I’ve encountered and have engineering second-to-none.

I haven’t built a Riich kit yet (have one of the Uni Carriers in the stash and it makes the Tamiya kit look like a crude toy!), but they look equally as good, perhaps a bit more complex.

You doing very well!

I've got 2 of their boxes, so I'm interested in finding any "traps".

Some Carriers (on line) shows a panel of diamond style mesh covering those cut-outs.

Could be a restoration though. On the other hand, there are so many variations (in field, and so-on).

That's what I would do, since inserting radiator face is not in the books by now 🙂

Zig

Please do not compare Tamiya to Riich.

Tamiya kit is from 1976: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-mm189-universal-carrier-mkii--132531

Riich kit is from 2013: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/riichmodels-rv35011-universal-carrier-mki--175999

There are 2 kits released (first time) 37 years apart!!! Yet that "oldie" is still build able, and still selling.

Sure thing, Rich is superior, just look on thin walls of the "cab", details, and so-on. And those 4 brushes in OP 🤣

If one wants easy kit - Tamiya

Detailed kit - Riich

Rant's over, thank you for attention, don't sniff that glue and have nice modeling time!

Zig

21 hours ago, binglee said:

No radiator is a fault in both the MMG and mortar carriers.
Tab down a little in this thread from Maple Leaf up. The Mk II carrier pictured has the factory plywood radiator cover fitted. I think it was to aid in warming up the carrier. Anyway, a little sheet plastic, some brownish paint and you're away. It even fits on the little sill that's already there. The little knob thing has to come off and go on the cover. You may have to cut and paste the link.
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29949&highlight=universal+carrier+radiator+cover

Cheers

Bill Inglee

That's an excellent idea and thanks for the link Bill. I was considering a mesh and now you've confirmed field mods were a thing I can open the options. Agree on the quality of styrene. It cuts beautifully, just at that sweet spot between too soft and too brittle. 

Cheers

Andrew

20 hours ago, IanC said:

A fascinating build so far. Really impressive detail. I've looked at getting one of these a few times but have always shied away - it just seems too fiddly.

I'll wait for Tamiya to retool theirs instead.. 😄

Don't be too put off. Yes it's fiddly but the excellent fit negates a lot of that. 

Andrew

19 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Considering the detail they have put into this kit I'm surprised that they haven't supplied a radiator in this version as it is quite visible as can be seen in the photo below.  

lvx7s5K.jpg

Wayne

Thanks for the pic Wayne. There seems to be very few pics of a Carrier looking into the cockpit in that direction. I think I'll cobble up a radiator top and a sheet of plastic to mimic as you've shown. Then cover it with mesh.

Andrew

14 hours ago, f matthews said:

Looks like you could just swap the assemblies from one side to the other (assuming the other side is similarly done)?  The Riich kits are extremely well-done as are their related Combat Armor Models (CAMs) which uses the best quality styrene I’ve encountered and have engineering second-to-none.

I haven’t built a Riich kit yet (have one of the Uni Carriers in the stash and it makes the Tamiya kit look like a crude toy!), but they look equally as good, perhaps a bit more complex.

I'm looking forward to their UK spec 6 tonner from CAM. I'm sure they will be up there with the Rich kits.

Andrew

13 hours ago, zigster said:

You doing very well!

I've got 2 of their boxes, so I'm interested in finding any "traps".

Some Carriers (on line) shows a panel of diamond style mesh covering those cut-outs.

Could be a restoration though. On the other hand, there are so many variations (in field, and so-on).

That's what I would do, since inserting radiator face is not in the books by now 🙂

Zig

Yep, that was my plan and since field mods were a thing I can do it with confidence. A pit of card for the main body slipped through and a simple radiator top in the top opening will work I think.

Andrew

13 hours ago, zigster said:

Please do not compare Tamiya to Riich.

Tamiya kit is from 1976: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-mm189-universal-carrier-mkii--132531

Riich kit is from 2013: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/riichmodels-rv35011-universal-carrier-mki--175999

There are 2 kits released (first time) 37 years apart!!! Yet that "oldie" is still build able, and still selling.

Sure thing, Rich is superior, just look on thin walls of the "cab", details, and so-on. And those 4 brushes in OP 🤣

If one wants easy kit - Tamiya

Detailed kit - Riich

Rant's over, thank you for attention, don't sniff that glue and have nice modeling time!

Zig

Don't get me wrong I don't think you can compare the two either. As I have always said in this thread it's horses for courses. If Riich brought out an Austin Tilly I would jump at it however I thoroughly enjoyed making the Tamiya version which is all but two spru. It was the perfect "Amuse-Bouche" between bigger kits. Haven't built the Tamiya but it's served many a modeller for many a year, as long as you don't mind having the scratch build 4 hand brushes of course 😉

Cheers all

Andrew

• Like 2

On 03/11/2021 at 20:47, APA said:

That's an excellent idea and thanks for the link Bill. I was considering a mesh and now you've confirmed field mods were a thing I can open the options. Agree on the quality of styrene. It cuts beautifully, just at that sweet spot between too soft and too brittle. 

Cheers

Andrew

Don't be too put off. Yes it's fiddly but the excellent fit negates a lot of that. 

Andrew

Thanks for the pic Wayne. There seems to be very few pics of a Carrier looking into the cockpit in that direction. I think I'll cobble up a radiator top and a sheet of plastic to mimic as you've shown. Then cover it with mesh.

Andrew

I'm looking forward to their UK spec 6 tonner from CAM. I'm sure they will be up there with the Rich kits.

Andrew

Yep, that was my plan and since field mods were a thing I can do it with confidence. A pit of card for the main body slipped through and a simple radiator top in the top opening will work I think.

Andrew

Don't get me wrong I don't think you can compare the two either. As I have always said in this thread it's horses for courses. If Riich brought out an Austin Tilly I would jump at it however I thoroughly enjoyed making the Tamiya version which is all but two spru. It was the perfect "Amuse-Bouche" between bigger kits. Haven't built the Tamiya but it's served many a modeller for many a year, as long as you don't mind having the scratch build 4 hand brushes of course 😉

Cheers all

Andrew

I agree - there is no way you can compare the kits.
Of course, this is due to the age of the production and the technical possibilities of the time. In addition, tamiya is still known for its "simple" and well thought-out models (with fewer details).
So if you want to build a UC as a beginner, Tamiya is a good choice, the Riich can become a high end model - the prerequisites are given.
I have taken Andrew's post as an opportunity to show the construction plans for comparison and that you can still do something with the (cheap) oldie from the 70s.

MD

spacer.png

Tamiya above, Riich below. the construction stages say it all...

spacer.png

with the contents of the box you could probably build 3 Tamiya models 😁

Cheers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

I agree - there is no way you can compare the kits.
Of course, this is due to the age of the production and the technical possibilities of the time. In addition, tamiya is still known for its "simple" and well thought-out models (with fewer details).
So if you want to build a UC as a beginner, Tamiya is a good choice, the Riich can become a high end model - the prerequisites are given.
I have taken Andrew's post as an opportunity to show the construction plans for comparison and that you can still do something with the (cheap) oldie from the 70s.

MD

spacer.png

Tamiya above, Riich below. the construction stages say it all...

spacer.png

with the contents of the box you could probably build 3 Tamiya models 😁

Cheers!

It's all about what you enjoy and what you do with it 😉

Cheers MD

Andrew

• Like 1

An hour or so spare and I thought I'd sort out this radiator conundrum. Bit of measuring, guestimating and fiddling and it just about squeezed in. As you will probably guess once it's in it had free rain in the depths of the chasm hence quite a bit of shaking, shuffling, poking, prodding and cussing was involved to get it to sit right. We got there though!!

NOTE - some of these dimensions may have changed during the R&D process

20211105_162854

A bit of fettling and scribing and it's done. Added a cap just because, well radiators do don't they 😁

20211105_170147

Rear bracing. We don't want it to fall apart inside do we 🙄

20211105_170155

She's in!!

20211105_171825

Close enough I think

20211105_171719

Screenshot_20211105-171305_Google

Cheers all

Andrew

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

This is getting rather eye watering! It's been mostly PE this weekend with the odd bit of plastic. Had a bit of trouble with the headlight as the instructions weren't very clear and so I cocked it up. Had to make a new bit of. bracket. 

I'm loathe to cover that battery so I'm looking into what to do with the shelf which sits above which should carry the portable stove. You can see on the right of the picture a PE basket. There are about 5 of those in total!

20211128_163026

I've decided to have the rear storage box open. The kit one is not conducive to this so I'll be making a scratch one next weekend. Up till now this kit has been as per instructions. The 'rabbit hole' for this kit will be the Vickers machine gun. It will be in bits so along with the storage box the gun and mount will have some scratch build.

20211128_163015

Despite my dislike of unnecessary PE I must say all bar a couple of the pieces in this kit are worthy of inclusion. I'm almost enjoying doing them!

20211128_163006

I had almost missed a very obscure little PE part in the corner of the instructions. It wasn't until I saw the "x16" that I realised it was for the pole brackets along the outside. They actually made up quite easily.

20211128_162958

I've done about 98% of the plastic and about 70% of the PE. The MG mount looks a right mare 😳

Cheers all

Andrew

• Like 13