Indochina P-63C, 1949.

DaveyGair

A bit of a late start with my first build in this GB, I just finished a Beaufighter on Sunday for the 'Bristol Company' GB and lately have been painting Wargame figures so have neglected the plastic flying stuff!

I got this online for a good price for the Soviet Aircraft markings and was going to sell the the other kit on but I thought I would do this French Airforce one for this GB.

It is actually a kit moulded by AMG, the parts look well detailed and there is some flash but nothing that can't be 'wiped' quickly with a blade.

There are different intakes included in the kit but no instructions showing which intake is for which version but it's easy to see from the drawings and the internet what type (short or long) is used for the C version or the E.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

There is a photo-etch fret (most of which I won't use!) and a canopy mask set so quite complete.

I made a small start but already there is a bit a conudrum.

They start you off by removing and putting  a bend on the two etch rudder pedals and then instruct you to stick them directly to the back of the plastic instrument panel.

DSC_0004

But the next picture clearly shows hangers for the rudder pedals, there's even indents for the parts on the plastic instrument panel but looking at the sprues there doesn't seem to be anything like them on there. Anyone built the AMG kit or the reboxed Dora ones and found this part(s)?

DSC_0005

No photos as I left it there to investigate further.

More soon.

Davey.

• Like 9

Good morning Davey 

Yes a very good choice I have this kit in my stash and I will try to build it before the year's end  ...

I think that you will find some interesting infos on the link below 

https://www.detailandscale.com/meetup/p-63-kingcobra

Best luck with your build .. 

Patrice  

13 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

A great choice, Davey!!!! :)

Martin

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Davey 

Yes a very good choice I have this kit in my stash and I will try to build it before the year's end  ...

I think that you will find some interesting infos on the link below 

https://www.detailandscale.com/meetup/p-63-kingcobra

Best luck with your build .. 

Patrice  

Thank you both for looking in.

Hi Patrice, that link is very good with excellent photos and good information.  I don't think I will be adding any more detail as the kit details are good enough for me!

Davey.

• Like 2

Looks like a nice build, I do like this type as one of the unloved wartime planes that had an interesting second life in postwar conflict and civilian life.

If yours is one based in Indochine then there is unlimited weathering potential! They literally flew these planes until they fell apart.

• Thanks 1

I want to get my mitts on one of these, the French worked these aircraft up in North Africa before sending them out to Indochina.  As Tim says, it's a largely unloved type but it makes an interesting addition to the GB.

Welcome and good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just bought this kit from Black Mike Models, two complete kits for £17.95, the kits include etched brass and masks, you get a P-63C and a P-63E (the former include French decals, the latter include Honduran decals), I consider this to be very good value.  Just need to find the time to build it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Wez said:

I've just bought this kit from Black Mike Models, two complete kits for £17.95, the kits include etched brass and masks, you get a P-63C and a P-63E (the former include French decals, the latter include Honduran decals), I consider this to be very good value.  Just need to find the time to build it!

Good evening Wez

I think that you should wait for the next French Fancy III GB ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Davey,

Apologies if I'm telling you what you already know, but in Air Enthuiast No.72 November/December 1997 there is a comprehensive article about French P-63s in Indo-China with photos, colour profiles, details of squadron operations and a tabulation of the aircraft used including serials, unit allocations, codes and fate.

HTH!

Cheers,

Mark