RAF Color Help Brown and Green for a Hurricane Mk1

Tokyo Raider

ok Brits...  I am afraid to ask as Its probably been detailed here before.  What is your recommended paint brand choice for the most accurate 1/48 scale Dk Earth and Dk Green for a Hurricane Mk1?

Mr. Color (Gunsie) has two or 3 different greens and 2 different RAF earths to use.  I like the Gunsie paint, but have access to humbrol and Tamiya here in Michigan.  I also have Testors Model Master in the stash of RAF colors.

I painted a Tamiya spit in Tamiya RAF Dark Green and Gunsie Mr Color Brown, but Not sure if these are the most accurate colors.

I need your reccomendation!

13 minutes ago, Hook said:

WEM Colorcoats gets my vote. The owner is a member herem

Cheers,

Andre

Hi Hook-  Well I went to soverign hobby website and filled my shopping cart with RAF colors, tried to check out and it wont ship to the USA.  So thanks but looks like I cant get these colors...

Is Vallajo or Humbrol any good of a accurate RAF color?

18 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:

Gunze/Mr Colour do an early war RAF set containing the Dark Green/Brown and Sky. Did a 1/24 Hurricane in them and it looks as good as it can get!!

Can you tell me what the C# was of the green and brown you used?  

Hi Tokyo Raider.

Just now, Tokyo Raider said:

Can you tell me what the C# was of the green and brown you used?  

Hi T.R.

Those colors were initially only available in the set referenced by Whitewolf. However, they're now available as separate items:

Dark Green: C-361 (flat); C-330 (semi-gloss): they're both labeled as BS641, so I assume they're the same shade.

Dark Earth: C-369 (flat)

Sky: C-368 (flat)

In case you want to go the Colourcoats route, they're available at several online sites in the USA including Sprue Brothers. You can also order from the White Ensign web page:

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/

Thanks Seawinder-  I have these Mr Color single colors and the desert RAF set also...  Glad you explained the difference between C361 and C330.  I was confused with the difference of them and same name.  I didnt think of the sheen difference.

I will use the 361, 369, and 368!  I also had a Mr Color RAF brown that is C22.  Do you know if this is wrong for RAF because Gunsie went thru trouble of putting out C369.

Thanks!

Both White Ensign Models and H&B Hobbies sell Jamie's Colourcoats fine line of paints. Xtracolor paints also are good ones as well. Kitlinx sells them in the USA. I didn't know about Sprue Brothers carrying them. HTH

Joe

If you want to stay with Tamiya acrylics (my locally available go-to), I did some tests against the color chips in the RAF museums "British aviation colours of WW2".

Cover

British aviation colours colour chart

Tamiya's XF-81 dark green is very good, for the dark earth, I use a mix of XF-49 (2) Khaki,  XF 52(1) Flat Earth.

A is Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth
B is Gunzie H72 Dark Earth
C is Tamiya custom mix that appeared in Hyperscale, of 1:XF-72, 1:XF-49, 1:XF-55
D is my mix of Tamiya 2:XF-49 Khaki and 1:XF-52 Flat Earth
E is Tamiya XF-81 RAF Dark Green

comparison2

If a slightly lighter and 'yellower'  look is required (like the Gunzie), try 3 parts Khaki to 1 part Flat Earth.

There was tremendous variation in the actual paint depending on age and cleanliness.

... painted with the above mix ...

Image9

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
more details
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Thanks Seawinder-  I have these Mr Color single colors and the desert RAF set also...  Glad you explained the difference between C361 and C330.  I was confused with the difference of them and same name.  I didnt think of the sheen difference.

I will use the 361, 369, and 368!  I also had a Mr Color RAF brown that is C22.  Do you know if this is wrong for RAF because Gunsie went thru trouble of putting out C369.

Thanks!

Besides being semi-gloss, C-22 is a bit darker and significantly redder than C-369. For purposes of comparison, C-369 is quite close to FS 30118; C-22 is closer to 30117. I would probably use C-22 as a decent approximation of Dupont 71-009, the lighter, redder of the two Dark Earth substitutions that company produced.

3 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

ok Brits...

I can't help with the colours - but by only addressing your question to 'Brits', you are ruling out a lot of potentially helpful answers from the many and varied international members of these forums... ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doesn't seem to have prevented non-Brits answering, reasonably enough, but if you are after information about the specified paints for an aircraft of nation X, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that those nationals might be more likely to have an idea.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 9:35 AM, Tokyo Raider said:

Hi Hook-  Well I went to soverign hobby website and filled my shopping cart with RAF colors, tried to check out and it wont ship to the USA.  So thanks but looks like I cant get these colors...

Is Vallajo or Humbrol any good of a accurate RAF color?

H & B Hobbies (https://www.hbhobbies.com/) and White Ensign Models are the US sellers for Colourcoats. And while Sprue Brothers does stock some, they appear to be less-popular shades from the older UK White Ensign production and Dark Green and Dark Earth are not listed.

EDIT: Vallejo has good matches for Dark Green and Dark Earth, but they aren't the ones in their RAF paint sets...

Edited by Rolls-Royce
to add info
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Doesn't seem to have prevented non-Brits answering, reasonably enough, but if you are after information about the specified paints for an aircraft of nation X, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that those nationals might be more likely to have an idea.

Not sure Massimo or Nick Millman would see it that way, but no matter... ;) 

• Like 1

Both Massimo and Nick rely upon their Russian/Japanese sources and individual contacts.  The difference is that they then spread their knowledge in English.  The information is there, in the national language.  There are increasing numbers of books appearing in English, written by Russians and Japanese.

4 hours ago, Werdna said:

I can't help with the colours - but by only addressing your question to 'Brits', you are ruling out a lot of potentially helpful answers from the many and varied international members of these forums... ;) 

I had to check, but we are all members of the 'britmodellers', are we not?  I have not really considered this an insult or ment to upset non British people!  I'm not British...  but I am a proud member of this forum!

• Like 3

Model Master is dead, discontinued by Testors.

I’ll add my vote for H&B Hobbies. I recently received two orders from them, filled and shipped quickly. I have nothing against White Ensign Models, but the last time I checked their site, they had RAF colors as well.

And when ordering Colourcoats, be sure to order some of their thinner as well.

Edited by Space Ranger
Correction
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Model Master is dead, discontinued by Testors.

I have a massive chest full of Model Master.  I stocked up when they cancelled the line!  However I thought I should ask the experts here what you think is best!  Thanks everyone for all the help and this will help me try different brands...

Edited by Tokyo Raider

I had almost forgotten to mention that True North Precision Paints also has a line of RAF and FAA paints in their enamels. I would suggest that you order 2-3 of their paints; then compare with one of the others(Xtracolor and/or Colourcoats) to see how well they do or do not match. Their website is https://www.truenorthpaints.com . I have used their WW2 RLM paints with good results. I have compared True North's paints with the paint chip chart from Eagle edition's. Before anyone mentions the one used by @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies; I have tried to order it; but; the site in the UK won't accept my order. I have tried. Oh, their RLM 66 and RLM 02 colors were a good match. HTH

Joe

• 2 years later...
On 10/6/2021 at 3:32 PM, Tail-Dragon said:

If you want to stay with Tamiya acrylics (my locally available go-to), I did some tests against the color chips in the RAF museums "British aviation colours of WW2".

Cover

British aviation colours colour chart

Tamiya's XF-81 dark green is very good, for the dark earth, I use a mix of XF-49 (2) Khaki,  XF 52(1) Flat Earth.

A is Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth
B is Gunzie H72 Dark Earth
C is Tamiya custom mix that appeared in Hyperscale, of 1:XF-72, 1:XF-49, 1:XF-55
D is my mix of Tamiya 2:XF-49 Khaki and 1:XF-52 Flat Earth
E is Tamiya XF-81 RAF Dark Green

comparison2

If a slightly lighter and 'yellower'  look is required (like the Gunzie), try 3 parts Khaki to 1 part Flat Earth.

There was tremendous variation in the actual paint depending on age and cleanliness.

... painted with the above mix ...

Image9

Colin

Colin, I just discovered this color chart and have a basic question:  on the chart, is the lighter color chip an example lightened by white?  I am very interested in chip “C” which I believe is a close approximation of weathered earth. Thank you. 

36 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

Colin, I just discovered this color chart and have a basic question:  on the chart, is the lighter color chip an example lightened by white?  I am very interested in chip “C” which I believe is a close approximation of weathered earth. Thank you. 

As in Light Earth?

No.

The chart is of MAP, Ministry Of Aircraft Production,  colours. 

Light Earth and Light Green were intended for use as shadow shading on biplanes. 

as seen here

Gladiator,%20Gauntlet,%20Fury%20&%20Demo

from

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Gladiator-Gauntlet-Fury-Demon

You want to fade Dark Earth, look at period colour images.  

this shows both heavily faded Dark Earth and Middlestone, with some patches of fresh paint

14780326836_be4424d2a4_b.jpgRCAF Spitfire V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

This is under harsh desert sun, and is about as faded as it would get in service

all the Spitfire colour images are here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=8270787%40N07&view_all=1&text=spitfire

• Like 3