Tamiya 1/24 Opel Calibra DTM 1994

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

it was a really nice drive until the cambelt broke and lunched the engine

That happened to me. I had a Volvo V-40.

Cam belt snapped. Bent 14 of the 16 valves, so they replaced all 16. Cost me the thick end of £1400!

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Odd stuff happened!
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

Well they say perservarance pays off and it has with this one Keith, it's ended up a real eye catcher.

Many thanks indeed Colin, much appreciated! :)

1 hour ago, Alan R said:

That happened to me. I had a Volvo V-40.

Cam belt snapped. Bent 14 of the 16 valves, so they replaced all 16. Cost me the thick end of £1400!

Oh 'eck, he's just bought a V40 - better tell him to check the belt's been changed....!! (pretty sure it has, it's one of the first things he always checks after the Calibra incident!)

Keith

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

pretty sure it has, it's one of the first things he always checks after the Calibra incident

It does that to you. We are always careful about checking or getting the belt replaced.

One and a half grand isn't something you wanna spend too often...

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

Great result there , Keith . I’m a bit of a rollcage junkie - the more complex the better , and the Calibra has a fair amount of scaffolding in there ! I remember going to Donington Park to watch DTM racing back in the day . The budgets must have been huge as the hospitality buildings would put modern F1 stuff to shame . 
 Gary . 

• Thanks 1

Cheers Gary, many thanks for your kind comment  :)

I did add the harness bar to the cage as I thought the bar immediately behind the seat would have been too close to attach the harnesses to in real life (that's my excuse anyway as I just couldn't attach the harnesses neatly to that bar in the model....!!)

Keith

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Crikey I missed this Keith, sorry fella. What a cracker  love the interior   it looks fantastic as does the exterior too, looking at the model it you have done very well overcoming the issues with door pillar and decals  it looks  great.

Great work. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

The end result looks very striking.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated!

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey I missed this Keith, sorry fella. What a cracker 

No worries Chris, glad you like it! 

Thank you both for your very kind comments  :)

Keith

• Like 2

Beautiful model!

Thanks for the warning about Shunko decals. I didn't have any problems with their Castrol Honda NSX decals last year, but I did use an older set from Studio 27 on another build that behaved the same way as yours. Perhaps Shunko has changed printers recently, since the set I used on the NSX were new for 2020?

Ben 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the comments Ben, much appreciated   :)

As to the Shunko decals, after the performance with the Calibra ones I realised I had another of their sets in stock for a Lancia Delta rally car. So I decided to try out some of the spare decals on the sheet. Unfortunately they are actually worse. I tried applying a doot number decal onto a spare body I have, using the 'method' Shunko apparently recommend - Shunko recommends using hot water, leaving the decals into the water longer than usual. After that, leave it untouched for about 20 seconds before handling, and position it carefully and slowly into place while applying heat with a hair dryer. Using that method the decal actually curled up on the corners - I couldn't 'uncurl' them and tore one corner off trying to do so, and the decal just wouldn't sit down over a gentle curve and actually wouldn't really adhere at all. 

I then went to the Shunko site to see if they actually had any application info and found this 'customer information' notice;

http://www.shunko-models.com/info_subwindow/soft-type_decal_e.html

Unfortunately I couldn't work out what type of decals mine are as they don't fit either description in the message!!

It's a real shame as the decals look really good when on the sheet, but these two experiences have put me off ever buying from them again!

Keith

• Like 1

That's very strange that your decals behaved like they did. Turns out, I've actually used Shunko's decals four previous builds without difficulty. I didn't do anything different from the standard techniques, other than being pretty liberal with the Solvaset. Maybe ignorance is bliss! Except for the NSX, the others went on slab-sided Le Mans prototype cars, where they weren't required to conform to many compound curves, so maybe that's why I didn't have many problems.   

The best, most trouble-free decals I've used have been from SK Decals, Racing Decals 43, and Tabu Design. 

Ben

• Like 2