Tamiya 1/24 Opel Calibra DTM 1994

Morning all.

Finished this recently, for me a relatively quick build as I started it in the first lockdown in 2020. Not a particularly enjoyable build, problems started when I opened the box and found the A pillar on the drivers side had a major kink in it which I straightened out as best I could using the hot water and brute force method and then used copious amounts of superglue and tape to hold it against the glass when I stuck the windows in. Worst part of all though were the decals - the Tamiya ones had yellowed badly and the interior ones all broke up when they sniffed the water. So I got a replacement set from Shunko. First problem with them was they weren't a complete 'set' - and you have to mask and spray the large areas on the doors, which was fine apart from trying to match the yellow of the decals - which also didn't match the yellow of the Tamiya decals so I couldn't have used them even if they'd have worked! 

Then came 'using' the Shunko things - they were, without any doubt, the worst, most awful decals I've ever had the misfortune of trying to use (even worse than Monogram NASCAR ones if anyone's familiar with those!) The Shunko things were as flexible as cardboard, wouldn't settle with hot water, attack by hairdryer, microsol, Mr Set and Sol and when I finally resorted to Daco strong decal solution the ink ran on the flaming things staining the surrounding paint! Perserverence, stupidity and the use of all the above finally got the despicable things to work. Oh, and they also had a weird plastic like carrier film....

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with it now it's out of the way and I quite like how it looks sat on the shelf.

Pics -

IMG_20210828_163202_637

IMG_20210828_163435_832

Thanks for looking

ATVB

Keith

• Like 28

Thanks Marco, much appreciated!

3 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Started in 2020? A quick built

Indeed, lightning fast for me!! 🤣

I'm just about to start polishing the paint on the early 911 you kindly sent me the steel wheels and hubcaps for.... :)

Keith

• Like 1

Nice looking build, and nice to see one of these built up too, they're not that common.

I can't tell which A-pillar it was so that seems well sorted and all of the other problems are as usual, not evident in the final images.  Great interior too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So Keith may I suggest you take a holiday as I fear you could be suffering from burnout mate. Dropping your build speed from 12 years to 12 months is quite astonishing but.......what a superb build this is. Your builds inspired me back in the early days and this is undoubtedly one of your best creations to date...simply stunning mate love it 🙂.

Right now that the brown nosing is finished.....get ya finger out and crack on with the next one 👍 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Thanks Marco, much appreciated!

Indeed, lightning fast for me!! 🤣

I'm just about to start polishing the paint on the early 911 you kindly sent me the steel wheels and hubcaps for.... :)

Keith

The Porsche is painted dark blue isn"t it?

Looking foward to see the first pics. 

Marco F 

• Like 1

Well, if you hadn't mentioned the fun and games you had with the A pillar and decals, I would not have guessed that anything was amiss.  Great build of a great car.  Used to watch the DTM on Eurosport back in the day.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the kind comments everyone (including yours @Andy J 🤣), they are very much appreciated. :)

2 hours ago, Marco F. said:

The Porsche is painted dark blue isn"t it?

Hi Marco, that was the initial plan, but as the last 911 I did was blue I fancied a change so went with Tamiya X5 dark green. As it's gloss I was hoping to just flat and polish it, but it doesn't shine very well. And I just burnt through the paint on the top of one of the front wings.... :doh:. So it needs a bit of a re-paint and then gloss coating.

Keith

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Many thanks for the kind comments everyone (including yours @Andy J 🤣), they are very much appreciated. :)

Hi Marco, that was the initial plan, but as the last 911 I did was blue I fancied a change so went with Tamiya X5 dark green. As it's gloss I was hoping to just flat and polish it, but it doesn't shine very well. And I just burnt through the paint on the top of one of the front wings.... :doh:. So it needs a bit of a re-paint and then gloss coating.

Keith

Basically Marco what Keith is saying is come back in 2032 and you will see the rfi for the Porsche 🙂👍

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Keith

Sad to hear this mishap Keith. 

Dark green is also a good choice for the Porsche. So good luck with the repaint 

Marco F 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks Vince, very kind :)

39 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

another motor i always wanted but was never lucky enough to get although it would've been the Vauxhall....

My son's first car was a 2 litre Vauxhall Calibra - it was a really nice drive until the cambelt broke and lunched the engine and he scrapped it....

Keith

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Many thanks Vince, very kind :)

My son's first car was a 2 litre Vauxhall Calibra - it was a really nice drive until the cambelt broke and lunched the engine and he scrapped it....

Keith

I know a couple of Manta owners that had the same,one of them was literally in tears when it happened...

• Sad 1

Very nicely done my friend. No signs of the probs with the A pillar. One of the many kits from that era that Tamiya really need to reissue, IMHO.

All the best, Keith, hope to see more from you soon, eh ?

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1