I am belatedly joining the party with a 1/72 Airfix BAE Hawk in Midnight Hawks markings.

The kit is a re-boxed Red Arrows kit with Airfix club decals (which I am not using) so it is missing the weapons pylons usually seen on these Finnish Airforce Hawks.

I will build it OOB and might dig into the spares to see if I can find some pylons.

51557285880_d53351f31a_b.jpg

I started by painting the internal greys on the parts while on the sprues

51557056684_d0c3d7cf47_b.jpg

Because the kit had an 'aftermarket' decal sheet included the decals for the instrument panels were not included, so I had to dig into the spares to find a Red Arrows kit sheet where I was able to rob those decals for this build.

The cockpit parts were assembled and decals added, I will trim the excess decal film when the decals have set. (sorry for the blurry picture!)

51557285800_737969d78a_b.jpg

• Like 10

Some more this morning, putty cleaned up and gear and flying surfaces installed.

51559926930_47d1cba4c8_b.jpg72_FAF_Hawk_14 by Ray Seppala, on Flickr

51559694849_b278784804_b.jpg72_FAF_Hawk_15 by Ray Seppala, on Flickr

Those ejection seats look a little anaemic, I might dive into my AM box to see if I have replacements.

• Like 5

Ray,

Excuse me, but are you sure of the position of the rear fuselage ventral strakes around the air brake? My mental images makes me to suspect that they might be the wrong way round?

Cheers,

AaCee

9 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Ray,

Excuse me, but are you sure of the position of the rear fuselage ventral strakes around the air brake? My mental images makes me to suspect that they might be the wrong way round?

Cheers,

AaCee

No AaCee I am not, I did not take any notice when I fitted them. 

I have turned them around, thanks for pointing it out. I have finished assembly now and some paint has gone down.

51567649529_d77396c233_b.jpg

51567205558_ecf8cd73b6_b.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Ray,

It's me again - the bird of the bad weather...

This time I have found an error in the decal sheet instructions. When this Finland Centennial scheme was launched 2017 the last two digits were deleted from top of the fin. I googled for the scheme as well looked my own pictures of the team, I have seen it performing in these colours many times, and didn't found confirmation for them. A pity for the humorous 007 on the right side of the fin.

Cheers / kippis,

AaCee

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi Ray,

It's me again - the bird of the bad weather...

This time I have found an error in the decal sheet instructions. When this Finland Centennial scheme was launched 2017 the last two digits were deleted from top of the fin. I googled for the scheme as well looked my own pictures of the team, I have seen it performing in these colours many times, and didn't found confirmation for them. A pity for the humorous 007 on the right side of the fin.

Cheers / kippis,

AaCee

Thanks for keeping me on the rails AaCee!  The decals have settled pretty nicely but I am not happy with the blue in the 'flags' on the intakes, it looks to dark to me. I might have to remove them and paint them.

51570179083_6fb9989fbb_b.jpg

• Like 8

arrrr welcome along Ray with an interesting choice........ and you're nearly finished already!

Wow no messing around here either, she's looking really nice! What an interesting scheme as well, I've never seen one in this scheme before, looks really nice in it.

Well good luck with the build...even though she'll probably be in the gallery by this afternoon!

14 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

arrrr welcome along Ray with an interesting choice........ and you're nearly finished already!

Wow no messing around here either, she's looking really nice! What an interesting scheme as well, I've never seen one in this scheme before, looks really nice in it.

Well good luck with the build...even though she'll probably be in the gallery by this afternoon!

Thanks Rich, I have been struggling with mojo lately and have picked quick builds to keep my interest going. Just finished a RAAF UH-1B in a couple of weeks which was nice. With a possible strip I don't think this will make it to the gallery this arvo, but with rain forecast you never know :D

Two steps forward , three steps back.

I decided the blue was too dark and tried to repaint the flag markings

51578744911_c0a48c4bfe_b.jpg

Which was a disaster so I sanded it all back (also note main undercarriage failure :( )

51579661910_a0792e84a1_b.jpg

This has been repainted back to the base scheme

51578975343_45ef3718b2_b.jpg

Fortunately the decal sheet comes with enough spares for 2 attempts. So this time I will lay down the extra whites first.... fingers crossed

51578745026_483c703ea7_b.jpg

• Like 6

I’ve been using Dekls decals on my Pilatus Porter (High Wing GB), putting the whites under the coloured markings is essential and really brings out the colours, particularly the reds.

AW

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Andwil said:

I’ve been using Dekls decals on my Pilatus Porter (High Wing GB), putting the whites under the coloured markings is essential and really brings out the colours, particularly the reds.

AW

Yep, I have used them a number of times now and thought I could get away with it. Second time around all is good

51580260398_699414c2f5_b.jpg

setting solution doing its thing

51579211327_403cb63963_b.jpg

All decals on

51580258743_1b9096f7ff_b.jpg

And done

51580058301_f56c53d04a_b.jpg

• Like 15