SAAB Sk37E Viggen, 1/48th scale Special Hobby

As I´ve mentioned in my jetmads threads I had to finish off three comission builds before I could get started on a big Viggen.
Well, I am finished with the builds and I thought I´d present the three brothers in turn. Today it´s Olle 61, as of yet one of 
the two still flying Viggen. It is a demilitirised Sk37E from the now closed F15 wing in Soederhamn. In it´s day it was turned 
into a potent EW platform with an asortment of pods to go with it.

Now it flies with the SwAFHF (Swedish Air Force Historic Flight) on air shows across Europe. 

For the build it was loaded with Master pitot tubes, Maestro PE and wheels, pilot repicas pilot figure and a CMK figure with seat, 
CMK reverse thrust paddels. The decals was put together from various sources and sheets.

Ok here are the pics! And I´m a bit sorry they didn´t turn out that good after editing...I´ll do better on the next Viggen :D

DSC_5401(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

DSC_5403(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

DSC_5405(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

DSC_5407(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

DSC_5409(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

DSC_5412(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

DSC_5414(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

DSC_5417(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

DSC_5418(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

DSC_5420(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

More in part 2

• Like 49
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Wow... I assume you managed to please the customer!

:thumbsup:

He is way too pleased and is threatening me with more Viggen commissions in the future 😕

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ScaleModelHobbyist said:

Very very nice. I am very impressed with the muted contrast you have managed to achieve between the primary camouflage colours. To my eye, it looks very realistic. Well done.

Thanks Rob :)

I found out a very easy way to blend the colors as they appeared on weathered splinter schemes. The answer is zinc chromate,  diluted and carefully you can fade all colors in a viggen splinter scheme because all the colors in the cammo are warm.

so a mix of faded colors and pigments can really make that scheme pop and come alive.

I have seen many tries on weathering Viggen and pretty much all have tried to fade each color if the scheme separately...and you cannot preshade under the cammo because it will look odd. Only way is to postshade it to get a good look.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Some truly gorgeous painting and weathering skills on display here 😎

Can't wait to see what you can do in 1:32!

Thanksn :D

I hope I'll do it justice....it's a wee bit intimidating.

2 hours ago, Peter W said:

Lovely looking Viggen and, as others have said, great painting and weathering skills.

Pete

Thank you Pete :) I do like painting and weathering :P

20 minutes ago, basket said:

Very nice model . Your painting is beautiful.

It seems the back seater is a little bit out of scale . 🤔

Congrats for this rarely seen Viggen.

Actually I think it's the front seater that have a too small head but it was the customers wishes so I did my best. :)

The faded/blended overall hue you have achieved with the colours is fantastic:clap:. On the bottom lip of the right intake there appears to be an indent which is not on the left side. Is that how the lip is on that side of the aircraft? If so do you know what is its function is?

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete in a shed said:

The faded/blended overall hue you have achieved with the colours is fantastic:clap:. On the bottom lip of the right intake there appears to be an indent which is not on the left side. Is that how the lip is on that side of the aircraft? If so do you know what is its function is?

Pete

Thanks Pete :D

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, both intakes are symmetrical and both have a notch in the lower lip right next to the splitter plate. Is it this notch you refer to or have your eagle eyes spotted a do-do of mine? :P

44 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

WOW!!!!!!! That is beautiful.  :clap2:

Mike

Thanks Mike :)

27 minutes ago, Tomjw said:

An amazing build. Beautifully weathered.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Thanks Tom :)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Aigore said:

Thanks Rob :)

I found out a very easy way to blend the colors as they appeared on weathered splinter schemes. The answer is zinc chromate,  diluted and carefully you can fade all colors in a viggen splinter scheme because all the colors in the cammo are warm.

so a mix of faded colors and pigments can really make that scheme pop and come alive.

I have seen many tries on weathering Viggen and pretty much all have tried to fade each color if the scheme separately...and you cannot preshade under the cammo because it will look odd. Only way is to postshade it to get a good look.

I agree with the compliments on the paintwork.  It is superb, and I appreciate your answer above too.  The zinc chromate you refer to is the yellow shade, correct?  And it is post-sprayed to blend the different camo colors?   Your technique produces very realistic results Aigore!   :thumbsup:

A really nicely built and finished Jan - Love it. I like you advice about Chromate Yellow - I will look at that myself in the future. Love the Viggen and we miss it at airshows here in the UK. I would love a Viggen in my collection - how was the Special Hobby kit to build?

If I build one I will probably finish mine in a grey scheme - way less masking!

Cheers

Malcolm