Revell's 1:32 Messerschmitt Bf 109K-4 (finished!)

Welcome to my newest project, the Revell/Hasegawa 1:32 Bf 109K-4. 

I'll be receiving the kit in November (hopefully of this year), and I'll be making a start accordingly.

I've searched for photos (why can't I do like when I was younger in just following the painting instructions, I don't know) of the three schemes offered in the kit: Red 7, Adolf Borcher's K-4 and Black 15. I've found photos of those three, but I'm also tempted in painting my aircraft as my previous build, but with a different number. If I wish to go with the latter option, I'll have to buy a new, finer brush than what I have available.

Anyways, I'm sure inspiration will hit me once I actually get the kit. For now, some photos I came across of the kit's colour schemes and other random K-4s.

Kit schemes:

Red 7 (or Blue 7):

dqvD39X.jpeg

UmicHHt.jpeg

Black 15:

XNd8pvR.jpeg

BQrGWaT.jpeg

Adolf Borcher's K-4:

24mfEZm.jpeg

Random, unmarked 109K-4 photos I found while looking for the kit schemes:

148:

xbzdJk4.jpeg

wkcfJFQ.jpeg

The mystery aircraft, no numbers (nor wings), just a fuselage with the Crosses and Swastikas (probably):

wJsJRrO.jpeg

199:

9Fjd5k6.jpeg

And finally, the boxart of the kit:

2hiCQ3M.jpeg

I hope this long introduction convince you guys of following the build.

If you have more unmarked photos of a Bf 109K-4 (except of the Red Tulip one), make sure to link them!

Bye for now.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 5

Can't say I can help with photos, but I'll be interested to follow along.  I've got a 1/72 Fine Molds K-4 that I planned to do as red/blue 7.  Regardless of which you pick, I'll be interested in your build as I like Bf-109Ks. I must say I like the one with "148" hand painted on.  I love that ad hoc numbering!

7 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

why can't I do like when I was younger in just following the painting instructions, I don't know

I ask myself this all the time...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, opus999 said:

I must say I like the one with "148" hand painted on.

I like that one too, and it seems to be painted in a single colour except for the cowling, must be RLM 82 with 81 mottles on the rudder, and maybe 75 for the cowling.

4 minutes ago, opus999 said:

I ask myself this all the time...

Guess it's something that happens when one dwelves deeper into modelling.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Black 15 looks cool. I do like these Revell kits, I think you're going to have a lot of fun with this project 👍

All of the schemes look cool, especially the red tulipped one (there were 2 it seems). I may try my hand at painting the tulips. Or not, we'll see.

Edit: May have to remove the red tulipped aircraft, I don't have the proper underside crosses.

31 minutes ago, Alan P said:

a lot of fun with this project

Of course! Especially if it's a Hasegawa reboxed kit!

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

I still don't have the kit, but I spent some time searching through Google for more Bf 109K-4 photos, hoping I could get some inspiration for an aircraft that picked my interest.

After many searches, I came across one of the two red tulipped 109K-4s (I say two because one is the know "Green 4"). The aircraft I picked has the red tulips, plus a fairly abundant RLM 75/82 camouflage, with RLM 84 for the undersides.

Here's a photo and two downloaded images from Google:

Z8ppyHm.jpeg

The bottom aircraft is my choice. Note that the description mention the "3" is fictitious.

py6EfGr.jpeg

I won't be buying aftermarket decals for the tulips, I'll try my luck at painting them before laying down the first coats of paint of the camouflage. I think I'll first paint the white, then the red and after that, I'll mask the 7 tulips and paint over them the regular camouflage.

I'll follow Hasegawa's 1:32 instructions for the wings.

If you guya have more photos of my chosen aircraft, link them away and I'll follow them when the time comes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, opus999 said:

The bottom one is a nice choice!  An interesting and varied camo scheme and a splash of color at the front. Very nice.

Hopefully the tulips won't give me headaches. If that's the case, I can always go back to the numbered planes.

• Like 1

Today I decided to test my masking skills and practise for painting the tulips.

I first painted the surface of the masking tape in white, then masked for the red. Once the red was dry, I applied a coat of RLM 75. I think I'll be able to paint the tulips without too many issues (though I'll be painting two at a time).

9WNEwSz.jpeg

• Like 1

Decided to practise my masking abities for the tulips on an already built Bf 109G in 32nd.

I realised that, by starting on the machineguns's blast tubes, I'd be able to get all the tulips in place, three on each side and the last one on the bottom of the nose.

tYwMZ3q.jpeg

sAbO9Of.jpeg

VYbqift.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

At last! The model is here! I told you it was going to be started in November, tomorrow I'll be cutting plastic, splashing some paint, and sniffing some glue.

rn8RtCz.jpeg

Obr2qx6.jpeg

LFFrhDi.jpeg

For a set of decals printed in 2007 (14 years ago), they look really good.

CrSdyaq.jpeg

• Like 2

• Sturmovik changed the title to Revell's 1:32 Messerschmitt Bf 109K-4 (started!)

Right, here are the first in progress photos of the aircraft. I bought a brush with a fine tip in order to paint as many small details as possible on the cockpit.

JHMTgGg.jpeg

go8n8vJ.jpeg

tmaUBZe.jpeg

6gfPGbU.jpeg

mARjSEo.jpeg

Instead of molding a new fuselage half, Hasegawa included a new sidewall to be glue to the cockpit. It won't fit to the right fuselage half, so you must glue it to the cockpit.

FhtXwMV.jpeg

Rm60klK.jpeg

This is all for now, more progress soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

Cockpit looks nice!  I'll bet this is a good sized model when it's finished.

Thanks! It looks good enough size wise, but I want something bigger. May buy the Revell 32nd Mustang in the future.

• Like 1

Hi guys! More progress for today.

Cockpit has been glued together. 

FhtXwMV.jpeg

Rm60klK.jpeg

One helpful tip I read somewhere was to glue each half of the fuselage to their respective sides.

mARjSEo.jpeg

Fuselage halves glued and ready to add the cockpit from below. The cockpit wasn't a drop fit as I was hoping it to be. I had to remove part of the locating tab to make it fit.

c5RxIix.jpeg

Cowling added.

ErW7uiz.jpeg

Wingspars added.

BDWsU84.jpeg

Also the oil cooler (or whatever it's called).

Bp1bl16.jpeg

Well, that's as far as I got yesterday. I'll try to post more photos soon.

• Like 2

One of the things that take lots of time for me, apart from canopy masking, is the construction of the propeller(s). Here's the prop of the Bf 109K painted red and RLM 70.

yMCqw7J.jpeg

• Like 3

I began the painting stage by first applying the white for the tulips's background.

Cfvrxw9.jpeg

I then cut thin masking tape lines to define the contours of the red tulips.

Rbp0ilm.jpeg

After that, I painted the camouflage colours on the nose.

LZO4pWU.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow this looks beautiful! I go away for a few days and come back to this nearly-finished model. :)   Excellent work on the tulip, by the way!  Interesting about the two blues on the bottom,  I wonder why they did that?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Interesting about the two blues on the bottom,  I wonder why they did that

Most likely because the fuselage and wings were manufactured in two different factories with two different shades of RLM 76, one being the greener version of that colour.

• Thanks 1

Decalling finished. Although a bit thick, the decals sunk into the panel lines after using Microsol.

JY5U3hS.jpeg

8m7JPGU.jpeg

vcQ70sL.jpeg

Landing gear and tailwheel glued. Unlike the Revell kit, whose tailwheel strut is really weak and can't take the handling, the Hasegawa one is much thicker, and will resist the movement of the aircraft quite well.

LS0ICWF.jpeg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1