Johnny,

You may have just tipped me over the edge! I've used 3D printing professionally for more than 2 decades, and I'm now severely tempted to bring it home seeing the resolution and quality of print you are achieving (also helps having access to Solidworks 😉). Also love Lizard Point - beautiful and wild at this time of year. Continue to admire your work - hats off sir,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Johnny,

You may have just tipped me over the edge! I've used 3D printing professionally for more than 2 decades, and I'm now severely tempted to bring it home seeing the resolution and quality of print you are achieving (also helps having access to Solidworks 😉). Also love Lizard Point - beautiful and wild at this time of year. Continue to admire your work - hats off sir,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger. Seriously if you know what you’re doing and you have the inclination I’d go for it. It’s really opened up a whole new area of the hobby. Great fun. 
It’s very windy down here this morning by the way. 🌬

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Due to this scale and the silver element I have decided to pop the control surfaces on before paint.

Erm, both down? Control surface - ailerons - on the wings that aren’t flaps are one up, one down. It’s how the pilot banks the plane, with the rudder to help turn. Tail horizontal surfaces - elevators - work in unison.

Other than that, assuming it’s not just a photographic illusion, you’re bringing the venerable old Demon to heel nicely. :like: 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

When she's right she's right

It's OK to have the elevators one direction or the other, because they are linked fore and aft but the ailerons have to be opposed in stasis left or right.

But Heather has mentioned that so we'll let it drop, oke (Terry too now, too.)((* re: flaperons, not Demon))

The scope printing has brought into play is truly very exciting and when I can get some real, non-build thinking going I will have another knock with Fisuion360.

Just not this week. :(

Love that seat it's the giggin's mate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Excellent update - primer and paint already! :clap: :clap:  Enjoy your hols, Johnny! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks G. Windy and rainy today. ⛈

19 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Erm, both down? Control surface - ailerons - on the wings that aren’t flaps are one up, one down. It’s how the pilot banks the plane, with the rudder to help turn. Tail horizontal surfaces - elevators - work in unison.

Other than that, assuming it’s not just a photographic illusion, you’re bringing the venerable old Demon to heel nicely. :like: 

bottom!  I’m glad you are around to correct my rubbish knowledge @Heather Kay lJust at the right time too. Nothing worse than just after painting and weathering.
I’ll straighten ‘em up when I get back. 😇 

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

@Heather Kay raises a good point Johnny, differential action on the ailerons, and actually, judging by this video clip, hardly noticeable in the turns ...

Terry

Great video @Terry1954 thanks. I think I’ll keep them straight after watching that.

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

PS I should add that many aircraft do have flaperons, where aileron and flaps are combined, but I'm not sure the Demon had that.

More info for the knowledge banks that I’ll no doubt forget. 🙃🤓

18 hours ago, perdu said:

When she's right she's right

It's OK to have the elevators one direction or the other, because they are linked fore and aft but the ailerons have to be opposed in stasis left or right.

But Heather has mentioned that so we'll let it drop, oke (Terry too now, too.)((* re: flaperons, not Demon))

The scope printing has brought into play is truly very exciting and when I can get some real, non-build thinking going I will have another knock with Fisuion360.

Just not this week. :(

Love that seat it's the giggin's mate.

I don’t know what I’d do without you all. Actually yes I do. I’d have rather inaccurate winged things sitting on my shelf.  You can certainly do some wonderful stuff with 3D printing but as you prove yourself you can do some equally wonderful stuff without. Nowt wrong with tinkering though Bill. I do love a good tinker. 

15 hours ago, giemme said:

That is one elegant aircraft in flight, BTW  - thanks for posting that video, Terry :thumbsup:

Ciao

Indeed. 😀🤩

• Like 3

Back in middle earth. Safe and sound. 😀

Just to get that little error out of the way. Wings sorted.

51645197698_420ea017ea_b.jpg

Weathering done and the seat and components starting to be assembled.

51645818230_f1bff5de4d_b.jpg

Everything seems to squeeze in well.

I have added some surrogate chopped up seat belts that seem to fit ok. I’ll add the main belts in later on in the build.

51644153697_938cd833a1_b.jpg

I did like the IP I just wasn’t happy with the flat nature of the decal.

51644153477_f29d3e17d3_b.jpg

I remembered I had some Airscale bezels. 
so I painted them up to see what they bought to the party.

51645818290_c949193f36_b.jpg

I also made a little bottle because I was sure there was one in there. Then realised there wasn’t. 😩

51644153742_5e80ff9531_b.jpg

Never mind. 😬

The IP came up a treat I think.

and I even used the old small seat for the gunners flip seat. I know it doesn’t have a back but you won’t see that when it’s closed up and anything you do see will just add interest. 

51645621234_20201966c8_b.jpg

Here’s a shot from the other side.

51644964096_bdf973b98b_b.jpg

That other seat was so crazy tiny. The pan works from above for a temp flip seat though. 
close up time. Did someone say pegs? 😆

51644141417_e92fb95984_b.jpg

now time to Halloween up the front of the house while the glue dries.

51645633264_fece942e98_b.jpg

Luckily our old house lends itself to being cReEpy any way so a big spider and a few lights. 😀🕸🕷🦇

Happy Halloween everyone. 😀

ok back to the Demon. 
The stub of the wings got some relevant so you wouldn’t notice anything from above through the cockpit.

51645633259_1956253386_b.jpg

Tested and everything looks good. Quite a bit of filling I think.

51645185573_681c4a3810_b.jpg

I filled the gun hole on the front cowl as I don’t see me using the kit part. I also fixed the huge seam between the Gunners and pilots positions. I used Plasticard instead of filling s as I’d like minimal damage and dust.

51644153747_762aeae5c0_b.jpg

I’m glad that part is over. Although I did enjoy the office work I’m looking forward to getting the outer shell tidied up now. 
I’ll need to do a bit more printing too. Those exhausts need making for one. 

Totally forgot to mention I made a control column from lead and plastic rod.

Then took a really blurry photo. 😩

51645818270_e6d68c2b48_b.jpg

Before I go one last look before I closed her up you can see the column all painted up and a few little extras here and there from spare PE frets.

51644976196_de4b5d1b46_b.jpg

Hope you all had a spooky Halloween weekend. Take care and as always Happy Modelling.

Johnny. 🎃

• Like 21

On 01/11/2021 at 15:48, Courageous said:

Interior looking great, the added bezels add depth to the i/p, nice.

I wonder how the rear gunner was going to fit his fat butt on that seat.

Stuart

Sorry Johnny, I dont likadaseat much. wasn't the Airfix sit on a stick approach more believable?

This accommodates only one buttock, an eternally crippled future awaits he who sits there

A simple seat pan made wide enough would give more believable optics mate

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm inclined to believe that rear seat would need to be quite small, given that the observer/gunner would want to be unrestricted whilst panning gun etc, and in some cases would need room to stand and twist and turn? A very small seat would allow that.

Just saying..........

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 01/11/2021 at 10:32, giemme said:

Those interiors are certainly looking the biz, Johnny! :clap:

Ciao

Thanks G. Not much time this week for models. 😔

On 01/11/2021 at 14:17, AdrianMF said:

Love the seat and the instrument panel. The belts and bezels certainly smarten them up!

Regards,

Adrian

Thankyou. Means a lot.

On 01/11/2021 at 15:47, Fritag said:

Nice internals, beautifully painted (obvs.)

Thank you sir. ❤️

On 01/11/2021 at 15:48, Courageous said:

Interior looking great, the added bezels add depth to the i/p, nice.

I wonder how the rear gunner was going to fit his fat butt on that seat.

Stuart

A little 1/72 man can actually fit on the pan. Tiny bottoms in Airfix land. 🍑

On 04/11/2021 at 01:22, opus999 said:

The interior is fantastic as always.  I love the shading and the bezels were an inspired touch!

Thank you too kind.

On 04/11/2021 at 17:25, Matt_ said:

Nice work, Johnny Printing. 🖨️

I never knew they used Hobbits as observers. Needs must, I suppose. Probably difficult to come by suitable personnel during a war. What what.

I left enough room for their massive hairy feet.

On 04/11/2021 at 17:33, AdrianMF said:

And I thought the plural of "hobbit" was "hobbitses"...

I believe it is. 😃

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Sorry Johnny, I dont likadaseat much. wasn't the Airfix sit on a stick approach more believable?

This accommodates only one buttock, an eternally crippled future awaits he who sits there

A simple seat pan made wide enough would give more believable optics mate

I took reference from a post here on BM the rear / of the seat is silly but as mentioned you don’t see that from up top. An Airfix bottom does fit. I’ll post up a shot next time. I don’t wanna upset a Perdu.

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm inclined to believe that rear seat would need to be quite small, given that the observer/gunner would want to be unrestricted whilst panning gun etc, and in some cases would need room to stand and twist and turn? A very small seat would allow that.

Just saying..........

Terry

Yes it is quite small. Thanks Terry.

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

PS, just managed to find this thread............

Interesting read!

Terry

Ahh. That’s the one I looked at.

Not an exact replica but from ze hole it works for me. 

Probs not get around to much bench time as I’m at a gig tomorrow. A gig! How’s about that. Yeah, take that Covid. 🦠🎸🔥 Maybe Sunday.

Take care brothers… and sisters…and all those in-between. 

Johnny

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2021 at 20:27, The Spadgent said:

I don’t wanna upset a Perdu.

I ain't seen any of  them round here upset Jont, but look what you made me do.

P1010039.jpg

P1010040.jpg

Still has its original staples and never been opened.

YET!

I regret (for those historians amongst us) it will be opened soon...

• Like 11