Evening you lot. What a whirl wind few weeks it’s been. I’m definitely coming through the COVID tunnel now as is the rest of the family which can’t happen soon enough. 😀 Thanks for all the kind words and well wishes.

I even felt well enough to to make bread. 😍

51592937369_c7cb74957a_b.jpg

and baked.

51592937364_12038a0927_b.jpg

Cypriot olive and coriander bread. 🤤

well the wings are hopefully ok now so on with this bit.

51591452847_12629a7234_b.jpg

Not a lot to shout about on the inside. To be fair you can’t see too much but I’ll give it a nod in the right direction. That scraggy plastic needs coming off for a start so…..

I also added some framework with 1mm rod.

51592937599_e869634d3d_b.jpg

From what I’ve seen and read the internal structure is either grey/ black with red walls is it.?

it looks like the rear gunner stands with a little flip seat for when he’s not taking a pop and the bad guys.

No this is where I got lost down the rabbit hole. I decided to make a seat to print. While I was there I had to make a new shaped tale to boot.

Here’s my Demon sticker book.

51592496118_28dcae3fdf_b.jpg

I’ll fill it in as I build bits.  Now I was having so much fun making the seat.

51593170570_36c34364b3_b.jpg

Rivets everywhere. 😍

51592276861_43bc9b1864_b.jpg

I forgot that it’s ably going to be five mm wide. 🤪

Also made a better shaped tale.

51591453107_a74c02d6e2_b.jpg

I’ll add extra bits to them after they print.

*(currently printing) 

I wonder if those rivets will come out? 😆🥺🤞😵💫

More later on.

Johnny

• Like 17

Round one is in. We have had some success. And a few little things to think about. 😆🤏

The tail turned out ok. It’s the right shape and size and the ripples are nice and subtle. The lower section had a fail so that will have to be done again. Which is fine as there is another thing that needs re printing.

51593163103_dd6be82938_b.jpg

Take a look at this. 🙀🤏

51593163068_1537a65f33_b.jpg

I think I miss calculated the size I needed. I said 5mm but really it was more like 4mm  😲😬 I re measured and it needs to be more like 8 or 9 mm and taller too.

I did a bit of re modelling.

51592120062_c5efe28aec_b.jpg

That looks better. I thought it look small originally.

right then! 
Time to fire Mick up again. 
Keep em crossed fun seekers.

Johnny.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

What's the print time on these parts bud? You may just have a business in kit improvement sets at this rate ;)

These are tiny bits. They print in about an hour. Then about 20 mins to wash cure and tidy.

😀

On 16/10/2021 at 08:10, giemme said:

Excellent stuff, Johnny! :clap: :clap2:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio. 

20 hours ago, hendie said:

I'm giving you about three months, then you'll be designing and printing a full kit from scratch.  Care to wager?

Well I did initially snort at that but realistically Hewey is a kit. Well kind of.  But I guess you mean Aeroplane. 🤔 maybe. I don’t like betting. I always lose. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Super result on the tail and seat. I was away (first time in 20 months!) so I didn’t get to comment, but your wings with finer ribs looked good too. I think the fully flat approach works well, especially if you will be covering the top wing with the squadron triangle or checkerboard markings. The strong coloured patterns completely hide most of the ribbing on my one.

And you certainly aren’t helping on my resolution not to buy a 3D printer! 😍😡

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PS - just realised you are using a flying scale model plan. A lot of those increase the tail surface sizes by 10-20% because of scale aerodynamic effects. Sometimes they say so, sometimes they don’t…

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Super result on the tail and seat. I was away (first time in 20 months!) so I didn’t get to comment, but your wings with finer ribs looked good too. I think the fully flat approach works well, especially if you will be covering the top wing with the squadron triangle or checkerboard markings. The strong coloured patterns completely hide most of the ribbing on my one.

And you certainly aren’t helping on my resolution not to buy a 3D printer! 😍😡

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, yes covered with checkers. 🥰 

If you have the inclination to give printing a go, deffo do it. I have had lots of help over the past few weeks. Also I can’t ever see me buying another upgrade set.  

8 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

PS - just realised you are using a flying scale model plan. A lot of those increase the tail surface sizes by 10-20% because of scale aerodynamic effects. Sometimes they say so, sometimes they don’t…

Regards,

Adrian

Maybe? I just found it on line. It kind of tally’s up with the kit part on the tail so for me it’s ok. Thanks for the  heads up though.

1 minute ago, Fritag said:

Enviously competent transitioning to 3D printing Johnny.  Your builds are going to be even more must-reads than they already are.

Too kind. Thanks. 🤝

• Like 1

So I will observe three things in order of importance.........

Covid recovery occurring in the family sounds excellent news.....

That bread looks fantastic.....

The Demon and it's newer parts are coming along splendidly........

.... and in a nutshell really!

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Feeling so much better again today. Even my sense of smell is coming back. 👃😀

I decided to prime the resin parts after reading on BM that there were issues.

the seat first. You can see the rivets. 😲

51598868796_f86f6b9aba_b.jpg

As you can see with this side by side comparison my original was a tiny bit too ikkle. 😆

51599525284_a2ee00040f_b.jpg

The internals got a blast too. I build an IP and I have some foot plates to go in too.

51598044787_6ae9313d95_b.jpg

The second tail turned out well and took paint.

I sanded back the kit part to match.

51599764565_e8b827c1e0_b.jpg

Decided on a bunch of dry fitting next as there aren’t that many bits. The hole for the UC on this side is miss moulded so I’ll have to fix that. 

51599086548_5dd7e4eedf_b.jpg

Short shot moulding here too.

51599086498_a29e320f40_b.jpg

Almost all the other bits got cleaned up. (I need to print exhausts but I’ll keep the main tube. )

51599764580_970d4fb59a_b.jpg

I’m not sure if I like those big doughnuts at the end of the UC I’ll check references.🍩

The struts seemed ok. Although I lost one but made another from .8mm rod.

51599086463_c8e0907d8f_b.jpg

Started carving off the control surfaces too.

back to work next week. I’m allowed out of the hose on Tuesday too. 😀😀😀  Looking forward to not being under house arrest.

Hopefully more later on. Hope you’re all having a smashing weekend.

Johnny. 

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

So I will observe three things in order of importance.........

Covid recovery occurring in the family sounds excellent news.....

That bread looks fantastic.....

The Demon and it's newer parts are coming along splendidly........

.... and in a nutshell really!

Terry

Thanks Terry. I just made some more of the bread. It didn’t last long. 🤩

• Haha 4

Lovely printing there Johnny,she's going to be a cracker!

Those doughnuts are the standard Airfix wheel/axle attachment method. They are not accurate and will definitely benefit from a bit of the old Spadgent magic! I usually replace all my biplane landing gear legs with brass rod and add plastic card additions if shape necessitates it.

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Excellent job on the seat Johnny. I've done the mis-scale error a few times myself. Usually when I'm printing multiple different parts and and didn't pay attention to earlier parts on the plate getting re-scaled by accident. Although a couple of times it may have been a particular version of Chitubox that was the culprit too. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am truly happy that everyone has recovered.  No one went to the hospital, so that was a win (an unpleasant win, but a win nonetheless).

I have to agree with Terry -- the bread looks marvelous.  My address is... 🤣

That seat looks terrific, and with rivets too!  It makes me want to get a 3d printer myself, but drawing the parts.... :worry:  The teeny-tiny seat was amazing!

After seeing how the tail fin turned out, it seems that the solution to your wing ribs problem was to print a new wing! *ducks* 😆

Seriously though, this is turning out to be a terrific build!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2021 at 14:24, Brandy said:

Lovely printing there Johnny,she's going to be a cracker!

Those doughnuts are the standard Airfix wheel/axle attachment method. They are not accurate and will definitely benefit from a bit of the old Spadgent magic! I usually replace all my biplane landing gear legs with brass rod and add plastic card additions if shape necessitates it.

Ian

Thanks Ian.  Those rings do look rather thick, thanks for the heads up. I have looked at some reference. But this Hopefully trimming them down will be possible. 

On 17/10/2021 at 15:41, LorenSharp said:

Excellent job on the seat Johnny. I've done the mis-scale error a few times myself. Usually when I'm printing multiple different parts and and didn't pay attention to earlier parts on the plate getting re-scaled by accident. Although a couple of times it may have been a particular version of Chitubox that was the culprit too. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Thanks. I’d like to say the miss scale wasn’t down to human error but this time it was my own stupid fault.  At least I got to re build it. 😃

On 17/10/2021 at 18:17, opus999 said:

I am truly happy that everyone has recovered.  No one went to the hospital, so that was a win (an unpleasant win, but a win nonetheless).

I have to agree with Terry -- the bread looks marvelous.  My address is... 🤣

That seat looks terrific, and with rivets too!  It makes me want to get a 3d printer myself, but drawing the parts.... :worry:  The teeny-tiny seat was amazing!

After seeing how the tail fin turned out, it seems that the solution to your wing ribs problem was to print a new wing! *ducks* 😆

Seriously though, this is turning out to be a terrific build!

Thank you. Far too kind. Covid was ‘orrible but we all seem to be over it now. 😀

On 17/10/2021 at 19:56, Lewis95 said:

Simply stunning bud

Thank you. 

On 18/10/2021 at 23:56, corsaircorp said:

Waow waow Waaooow !!

@TheBaron and @hendie Spadawan is about to receive his 3D laser sword !!

Really great Job man....

Congratulations !!

Start thinking about 3D printing too now !!

Damn.... 

CC

Do it. Do it. Do it.  Think about it. You could have at multiple builds on the bench and extras simply appearing n the build plate. CC Heaven. 🤪

On 19/10/2021 at 04:06, Edge said:

So glad you’re feeling better chap.

Edge

Thank you. A lot better thanks. 

• Haha 1

Morning.

Currently on my holidays down near Lizard point. I have been catching up on all your wonderful builds when I’m not walking along a cliff side or on a windy beach. 😀

51632319830_5bd121538c_b.jpg

It is rather beautiful down here.

51632321685_fe02c24161_b.jpg

While looking at the photos I’d taken I noticed a few that I had while catching bits of bench time with the demon in between work last week.

so here’s a holiday update. 😇

Let’s start with a shot of the tail control surfaces getting some surgery.

51598868921_d2194915e8_b.jpg

As mentioned previously the doughnuts had to go but it looks like I can get away with some very careful chopping. Chopped on the left.

51631703048_40dbfd5976_b.jpg

Also managed to chop out the rear moulded section to slow space for the rear of where the pilots seat goes. Bullet proof guard? Well plasticard but Regardless this is marginally better than the lump that was there before.

still lots to fix in the shape of holes and short shot elements. 

51631466801_554dd8faf3_b.jpg

Due to this scale and the silver element I have decided to pop the control surfaces on before paint. I also reinstated some of the connection points.

51632117494_44d90c73c5_b.jpg

Prime time! I think these are actually all the bits. 😃

51632321860_25fa307581_b.jpg

The better than before internals with some idea of foot plates. I built a little box for the seat to sit on. You won’t see this so to hell with accuracy. 🙃🤫

51630645117_70edd8d07c_b.jpg

Pre shade time.

51632330540_54ea88ee04_b.jpg

The IP decal fits well on that new IP so that will be the detail.

You don’t really see a lot through that tiny hole and most is covered by the new seat so I’m going for broad brush strokes.

51631693663_48fa2c263e_b.jpg

The seat also took some shade. 😎

51632319815_2462635143_b.jpg

I decided to go with blue grey lower and a spot of green grey upper. As mentioned I’m going broad brush strokes. The flory will really settle the dark spaces.

51632127224_e37d90cc2f_b.jpg

I have done a gloss coat and a flory wash too. Alas no pics so you’ll have to wait till I get home. 
Still it was fun doing a little update. 😇 Hope you’re all having a lovely week.

Happy modelling chums.

Johnny.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1