Personally I'd sand the wings totally flat and then, if you really want to, add rib details back on. Otherwise it just looks weird. Oh, and the real thing doesn't have dips between the ribs, the fabric is tight as a drum!

Another of those things that have become thought of as normal because of modelling, but really wasn't!

Ian

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Personally I'd sand the wings totally flat and then, if you really want to, add rib details back on. Otherwise it just looks weird. Oh, and the real thing doesn't have dips between the ribs, the fabric is tight as a drum!

Another of those things that have become thought of as normal because of modelling, but really wasn't!

Ian

Sorry I accept your advice Ian but not being an expert I’m looking at photos and I understand the skin is tight but.

51584981299_c8745776e4_b.jpg

You still get dips between the ribs. If I’m wrong I’m wrong but it looks like it to me.  (Apologies if I have used the pic out of turn I will remove if requested)

John.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

How did I miss the start of this build! 3 damn pages worth too....

Firstly, sorry to hear you've come across the CV19. Hope all goes well on that front. 

The wheels look good to me but I really can't offer much insight into CAD as I know sweet FA about it. Looking forward to this one coming together matey.

• Thanks 1

That aircraft is in flight, notice how, on the upper wing, the fabric is actually ballooned above the ribs! 

When on the ground you would be hard pushed to see any dips between the ribs, certainly not any thing that would be represented by dips in this scale.

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Brandy said:

That aircraft is in flight, notice how, on the upper wing, the fabric is actually ballooned above the ribs! 

When on the ground you would be hard pushed to see any dips between the ribs, certainly not any thing that would be represented by dips in this scale.

Ian

Thanks. Just checked but I’m still seeing dips.

51585046809_3c81527d53_b.jpg 51584607408_5c4a0542a1_b.jpg

I don’t want this to get into a yes it is, no it isn’t thing so I guess I’ll just try and get the model looking how I would like it to look. I’m not a fan of the massive hills Airfix added but I’d like there to be something as that’s what I’m seeing. If I’m wrong than so be it.

but I hope you can see where I’m coming from on this one? 

All the best.

Johnny.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lewis95 said:

How did I miss the start of this build! 3 damn pages worth too....

Firstly, sorry to hear you've come across the CV19. Hope all goes well on that front. 

The wheels look good to me but I really can't offer much insight into CAD as I know sweet FA about it. Looking forward to this one coming together matey.

Thanks. Fingers crossed I weather it. (No Modelling pun intended)🤪 glad to have you around. 🤩

• Like 1

My point is really that yes, you can see the ribs, but I have tried in the past to sand down Airfix wings to reduce the rough sea appearance and it looks total crap. The only way to go to get it looking decent is to sand it flat then add the rib detail back in.

Hope that helps!

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting discussion about ribs and dips (is that some sort of Mexican food? :rofl: ) . But seriously, it is interesting. 

I hope you get better soon, Johnny  🤞

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

My point is really that yes, you can see the ribs, but I have tried in the past to sand down Airfix wings to reduce the rough sea appearance and it looks total crap. The only way to go to get it looking decent is to sand it flat then add the rib detail back in.

Hope that helps!

@The Spadgent To add to the above, you could possibly add a reduced depth with preshading. The problem you'll have with the rolling hills Airfix give you is that they are almost boat shaped. As you sand them down, they'll get wider (think upside down boat) and that may well not be the effect you want. I think a member called Adrian rid something similar on a shelf of doom clearing expedition a while back.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brandy said:

Hope that helps!

Ian

Thanks for the help. I apologize but I really miss read your.  
“ When on the ground you would be hard pushed to see any dips between the ribs, certainly not any thing that would be represented by dips in this scale.“

as saying you wouldn’t see them. 
I have indeed done an old O/400 and the ribs turned out ok to my eye so I figured I go the same way. 

I get you have tried in the past and your builds are superb so I really wouldn’t want to have something that looks bad. I’ll see what I can do. Fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Interesting discussion about ribs and dips (is that some sort of Mexican food? :rofl: ) . But seriously, it is interesting. 

I hope you get better soon, Johnny  🤞

Ciao

Doesn’t it just. 🤪

3 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

@The Spadgent To add to the above, you could possibly add a reduced depth with preshading. The problem you'll have with the rolling hills Airfix give you is that they are almost boat shaped. As you sand them down, they'll get wider (think upside down boat) and that may well not be the effect you want. I think a member called Adrian rid something similar on a shelf of doom clearing expedition a while back.

Yeah I get that. I’m kind of ok with the look, well I was until I sanded it all off. 🥺

I followed @AdrianMFs build too. I’ll see what he did.

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

My sole experience of the Airfix gulleys ( er ribs) was on the HP O/400 ( I think you’ve built one too) my solution was to fill between the ribs and sand it back to the profile I wanted.

Thanks. I looked at my O/400. The ribs were a little different to this wee beastie. I wonder if I’ve gone and done the right thing now. 🤔

• Like 3

The pitfalls in building as Airfix's redesign crew remade it huh.

Personally I am with Ian on the topic, yes some evidence of ribs is there but when standing I only see a touch of troughing.

here is an Auster wing recovered and about to be nailed back onto the fuselage, some faint troughing but mostly just evidence of the rib tapes

1910638-818405011620484-1940922923743525

And redoping and covering the lower surface

12794421-806838322777153-333019365997377

12814496-806838602777125-786632858578714

I am showing the Auster because I took a lot of care to get mine as 'right' as could be.

P1110141.jpg

Oops I think I am crossing the streams here...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ok well that was interesting.

my eyes are so bandy I’m not sure if what I have now is any better than what I had before.

I looked at what @AdrianMF did on his wonderful build and had a go at it with what I had to hand.

51586502435_e9296b83f8_b.jpg

Now it looks like this. 
I’m really not sure. It’ll look good on but does it look any better than before? Maybe it will tomorrow? Maybe it’s the covid? 
well I’m done for the night. Maybe I should just sod it off and print some. 😵💫🤔

Johnny covid.

• Like 7

Like a dog with a rag. 😩

maybe this?

51585745941_5c13cba64d_b.jpg

I quite like that? 

What do folk think? 

This is a bit of a proof of concept. Tinfoil popped on top and sprayed. 🤞

Johnny tin foil.

ps. (In hind sight I hate, hate, hate this) 😶🌫️

• Like 7

Spent a pleasurable few moments catching up Johnny - you’re definitely getting the upper hand despite felling grotty. Seems as if the vaccine has done its job, although I know from experience that you feel like death! 

Best wishes

Edge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, perdu said:

The pitfalls in building as Airfix's redesign crew remade it huh.

Personally I am with Ian on the topic, yes some evidence of ribs is there but when standing I only see a touch of troughing.

here is an Auster wing recovered and about to be nailed back onto the fuselage, some faint troughing but mostly just evidence of the rib tapes

1910638-818405011620484-1940922923743525

And redoping and covering the lower surface

12794421-806838322777153-333019365997377

12814496-806838602777125-786632858578714

I am showing the Auster because I took a lot of care to get mine as 'right' as could be.

P1110141.jpg

Oops I think I am crossing the streams here...

I totally understand and thanks for the ref. 😀 nice Auster. 😎

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Gently sanding between each ribtape will remove some of the 'inyerface' of those lines

A good basis for the job done successfully finish Johnty

Not the way I done it. 🤪 I used thin rubber tape. No Sanding here. 😫

2 hours ago, Edge said:

Spent a pleasurable few moments catching up Johnny - you’re definitely getting the upper hand despite felling grotty. Seems as if the vaccine has done its job, although I know from experience that you feel like death! 

Best wishes

Edge

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the WIP so far.  Here’s to more of the same. 😇

35 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I’d probably just leave it as is or maybe add some rib tapes from say 30 thou card and blend/sand them in with milliput.

🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫 lalalalLalalallllaaaaallllaaa. 
leave as is you say. Oh ok then. 🤭😚

30 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Looks just fine to me.  Carry on. 

That’s two votes I’m in. 😍🥰

Thanks. Cockpit next.

• Like 7

Just catching up here. I have a 1/48 Airfix Fury waiting in the pile to make, and this discussion has made me look further into the coverings.

Handily I've got a few shots to hand of the Hind and Demon at Shuttleworth a few years ago. (My last visit, reminding me I really need to pull finger out and revisit!)

8031045834_7b5e3ab5df_z.jpg

Hawker Hind by Mike, on Flickr

8039967547_0327777808_z.jpg

8026715021_9c74714929_z.jpg

8031047462_e26c933926_z.jpg

Shuttleworth Uncovered by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hello Spad,

Nice job on Rib's and Dib's !!

My token is Airfix Ribs are far too marked, now modelling has changed since the time this kit has been issued....

We are far more demanding today...

The bug is when you sand that rib down, you have huge larger ribs...

The same stand for my Furies...

One can sand in between the ribs to reduse the width.... A bit boring is'nt it ??

Or send it flat and create new ones with plastic profiles....

Your wing is looking far better that way, now if I can give an advice, try to paint it now...

and see what it look like with this High speed silver applied on...

BEFORE starting more sanding...

Don't you forget, the leading edges... No fabric on there...

No, no don't throw your Hind please...

Because there is also a fuel tank on the upper wing which is not ribbed !!:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

On the other hand, I hope that your and your tribe's health is growing better !!🤞

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/10/2021 at 11:44, perdu said:

Make that three votes Johnny, that, as we say imitating parrots and Mr Punch, is the way to do it.

Thanks Bill. I’m happier with the way they look now.

On 14/10/2021 at 12:44, giemme said:

I'm liking what I see, so there's another vote :clap:

Why did I buy that FLY kit of a biplane, oh why? :shrug:

:D

Ciao 

Thanks G. Fly you say! 👀

On 14/10/2021 at 13:15, Quiet Mike said:

Just catching up here. I have a 1/48 Airfix Fury waiting in the pile to make, and this discussion has made me look further into the coverings.

Handily I've got a few shots to hand of the Hind and Demon at Shuttleworth a few years ago. (My last visit, reminding me I really need to pull finger out and revisit!)

8031045834_7b5e3ab5df_z.jpg

8039967547_0327777808_z.jpg

8026715021_9c74714929_z.jpg

8031047462_e26c933926_z.jpg

Shuttleworth Uncovered by Mike, on Flickr

Cor!! Thanks for the photos. They’re splendid. 😀

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

Nice job on Rib's and Dib's !!

My token is Airfix Ribs are far too marked, now modelling has changed since the time this kit has been issued....

We are far more demanding today...

The bug is when you sand that rib down, you have huge larger ribs...

The same stand for my Furies...

One can sand in between the ribs to reduse the width.... A bit boring is'nt it ??

Or send it flat and create new ones with plastic profiles....

Your wing is looking far better that way, now if I can give an advice, try to paint it now...

and see what it look like with this High speed silver applied on...

BEFORE starting more sanding...

Don't you forget, the leading edges... No fabric on there...

No, no don't throw your Hind please...

Because there is also a fuel tank on the upper wing which is not ribbed !!:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

On the other hand, I hope that your and your tribe's health is growing better !!🤞

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks for all that CC.  The wings do have primer on in the shots so I’m hoping HSS will look good too. If I’m going to add any more detail it’ll be with paint and weathering. 🤩

• Like 2