Blimey full house. So happy to have such wonderful company. 🙌

Decided to name my printing tools.

Mick on the left.

and

Freddie on the right.   *Sorry. 🤣

51559653845_e0eaa96ff2_b.jpg

As you can see it’s a well planned process now I’m into my third rodeo. 🦤

As promised I need to take some shots of the boxed plastic. Wings and things.

51558728691_11a91343dc_b.jpg

And the rest.

51558962228_95a12e63fb_b.jpg

And that’s your lot.  The decals look good.

51558728676_fc39ac439a_b.jpg

And the instructions are ……. Simplistic.

51559419029_2d1c4f668c_b.jpg

Should just read. “Put model together “ in comic sans. 😮 I started by picking likely candidates for upgrades.

the exhausts. 

51559418974_9a4c7a6f56_b.jpg

I’m pretty sure these should be pipes. I think I can make some of those.

The tail?

51559747275_8bd8c31546_b.jpg

Actually looks ok but I believe it’s the wrong shape so I might make one of those too.

the cooler thing leaves a lot to the imagination.

51558032982_1d2b51e31e_b.jpg

And of course the non existent interior.

51559653325_d5f03da3fe_b.jpg

It won’t take much but I’ll need seats and a control column. Possibly wall stuff and some floor bits? We shall see.

hang on just getting a coffee and a chocolate digestive.….……talk among yourselves. 

ok I’m back.

Channeling my inner @hendie I removed the two top supports that I just didn’t need. Took a punt on setting the base supports by hand and voilà.

51559653745_edf3217f75_b.jpg

I bloody knew that Tardis tea tray would come in handy one day. 💙💙

Snipped supports before cure. (They are tiny )

51558962713_cc19786105_b.jpg

A few whafts with a sanding stick / sponge and we have new wheels. 🤗  

51558728711_b75f6cd868_b.jpg

can’t stop thinking about the Marty Feldman sketch @corsaircorp shared a week or so ago. 🤣

in comparison with the kit part it’s a definite improvement.

51557937527_41e9021576_b.jpg

Looks smaller doesn’t it? Well I can confirm it isn’t. 🧐🤓

This is all very well and good but what about that old kit? How’s the fit?

51559747330_c1c618e38c_b.jpg

Hmmmmmm 😵💫

She does squeeze together really quite well.

51559513939_d7a47329bc_b.jpg

Although that seats looks painful. 😬😮

The detail is ok though. Bit of re scribing and we’re good.

51558823251_fcfd07c2b4_b.jpg

I really want to use as much kit as possible. The wings are ok if super heavy on the lumps.

51559653860_c2a8c015a0_b.jpg

A bit of sanding and we’re here.

51559653855_acdebc996a_b.jpg

The soft plastic is our friend here. I’ll sleep on that but I think it looks ok. 
Those pin marks are cRaZy.

51559653885_5f72ed27d4_b.jpg

Sprue goo to the rescue. 👨‍🚒

51559419714_764a723af0_b.jpg

I’ll sand that and cut out the control surfaces next time.

just before I finished up I did a dry fit. Not bad considering. ❤️

51559419654_dfc86260ef_b.jpg

well I’m all out of coffee so that’s yer lot.

Thanks for dropping by.

Hope you’re all having a great week.

take care and as always Happy modeling.

Johnny. 

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2021 at 12:34 AM, The Spadgent said:

I might be able to have some fun and summon a Demon from this kit. 😈😈😈

well it is Halloween after all. 🦇

This won’t be a 3D printed Demon oh no, this will be the Airfix vintage Demon with some new bits glued on.

Sounds like a bit of a giggle. 

Johnny.

Congratulations my Dear Spad !!

Something I like to read and knowing the way you finish a model.....

That will be something !!

Best wishes for a quick recovery for your family..

I hope that they will get rid of this damn bug soon !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Looking promising!

Re my earlier comment, I thought Airfix may have made an effort (apologies if they have) to clean the moulds for the Vintage Classics. I've one of these that is, I think, a 1980s boxing so it's not quite so flashy. And I'm going pretty OOB!

• Like 1

Off to a great start already, Johnny! :clap:

Those wheels look the biz, and the old plastic bits have already received some of your TLC! :worthy:

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Those wheels look the biz, and the old plastic bits have already received some your TLC! :worthy:

Ciao 

Totally agree!

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice wheels! A perfect application of 3D printing.

The Airfix Demon was first made in 1968 but was actually a modification of the Hart tooling, which was made in 1959. This is why Airfix Hart kits are as rare as rocking horse poop.

Airfix took the opportunity to add the rather crude, but fashionable at the time, fabric hills and valleys, as they did to a bunch of other kits, including the Walrus and (erroneously) Anson. Before the mod, the fabric surfaces were represented by fine lines for the ribbing on a flat surface - much nicer.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Airfix Hart was, in comparison, a thing of beauty.

The wings and other flying surfaces were finely moulded, I always despaired at how the repops of kits managed to make them more unbelievable.

Might be a case for making better wings and things whilst you and Jim (?) have fun.

Mike?, Sid?, August?

Anyway, you know who you/I mean.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm following too Johnny. Wishing those with Covid a speedy recovery and wishing those without it, to stay that way!

I am most impressed with the way you have slipped into using this technology with ease. I reckon your a natural at this as well as the more traditional modelling you have wooed us with many times before now.

Terry

• Thanks 1

I have this in the stash - any chance you might bundle up your upgrades and sell a few? I think there are sites were one can post files for others to print and get a cut of the proceeds.

Also as you are probably aware the propeller is wrong - IIRC the blades are reversed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

propeller is wrong

Isn’t that the Bulldog? I’ve just checked, the Demon propeller is convex at the front and rotating clockwise from the pilot’s POV, as per the real thing.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/10/2021 at 00:14, corsaircorp said:

Congratulations my Dear Spad !!

Something I like to read and knowing the way you finish a model.....

That will be something !!

Best wishes for a quick recovery for your family..

I hope that they will get rid of this damn bug soon !

Sincerely.

CC

Hope you enjoy it dear Alain. Everyone is still pretty rotten but I’m still clear so able to look after them.,😇

On 07/10/2021 at 01:06, k5054nz said:

Looking promising!

Re my earlier comment, I thought Airfix may have made an effort (apologies if they have) to clean the moulds for the Vintage Classics. I've one of these that is, I think, a 1980s boxing so it's not quite so flashy. And I'm going pretty OOB!

Ooh are you making it at the moment? Say you’re doing a WIP. It would be nice to see one being built too. ❤️
I think the flash is all part of the charm. 🤪

On 07/10/2021 at 05:25, neil5208 said:

I like the way you will be  using the printed parts to add to the kit, something I have been considering. Can you give a rough cost of the equipment you have put together?

Thanks. All in I’d say about £350 with funnels , tools and resin and what not. 

On 07/10/2021 at 06:45, giemme said:

Those wheels look the biz, and the old plastic bits have already received some of your TLC! :worthy:

Ciao 

Thanks G. Yes all speed ahead. 🤩

On 07/10/2021 at 09:25, Hamden said:

Totally agree!

Stay safe          Roger

Thanks.

On 07/10/2021 at 09:46, AdrianMF said:

Nice wheels! A perfect application of 3D printing.

The Airfix Demon was first made in 1968 but was actually a modification of the Hart tooling, which was made in 1959. This is why Airfix Hart kits are as rare as rocking horse poop.

Airfix took the opportunity to add the rather crude, but fashionable at the time, fabric hills and valleys, as they did to a bunch of other kits, including the Walrus and (erroneously) Anson. Before the mod, the fabric surfaces were represented by fine lines for the ribbing on a flat surface - much nicer.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks for the back story. I didn’t know that. 🤩 looking at photos I think I should be able to sand the wings to something acceptable. 😇

On 07/10/2021 at 12:41, perdu said:

The Airfix Hart was, in comparison, a thing of beauty.

The wings and other flying surfaces were finely moulded, I always despaired at how the repops of kits managed to make them more unbelievable.

Might be a case for making better wings and things whilst you and Jim (?) have fun.

Mike?, Sid?, August?

Anyway, you know who you/I mean.

Ha! Sorry maybe I should have elaborated.

“Mick” Mars. Guitarist in Motley crüe.

“Freddie” Mercury. Singer in Queen.

I might make new wings but I don’t want this to be all about 3D printing. I just want it to be one of the many tools I use now to make better models. 🤩

On 07/10/2021 at 14:26, Back in the Saddle said:

Nice start Johnny, I’ll follow this one with interest.👍

Welcome. And thanks.

On 07/10/2021 at 15:56, Terry1954 said:

I'm following too Johnny. Wishing those with Covid a speedy recovery and wishing those without it, to stay that way!

I am most impressed with the way you have slipped into using this technology with ease. I reckon your a natural at this as well as the more traditional modelling you have wooed us with many times before now.

Terry

Too kind and thank you. I have been 3D modelling since it was a thing “well in my industry”  back in the mid nineties. So it’s was a bit of a no brainer.

On 07/10/2021 at 18:32, TallBlondJohn said:

I have this in the stash - any chance you might bundle up your upgrades and sell a few? I think there are sites were one can post files for others to print and get a cut of the proceeds.

Also as you are probably aware the propeller is wrong - IIRC the blades are reversed.

Ha! I hadn’t even given it a thought. Maybe I could print some off for folk. I wouldn’t want money though. I guess it depends how much I end up making for the kit. We shall see. 😇

As for the prop I didn’t know that. I’ll have a look.

16 hours ago, opus999 said:

Those wheels are far superior to the kit wheels!  Very nice.  I think this will be a fun build.

Hope the family is well on the mend.

Thanks and indeed thanks.

11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Isn’t that the Bulldog? I’ve just checked, the Demon propeller is convex at the front and rotating clockwise from the pilot’s POV, as per the real thing.

Regards,

Adrian

Ahhh ok I’ll still check. So do we think the prop is ok?

Thanks for all the interest in this build. Hopefully I’ll get some bench time in over the weekend. 

Johnny

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooh are you making it at the moment? Say you’re doing a WIP. It would be nice to see one being built too. ❤️
I think the flash is all part of the charm. 🤪

I haven't touched it for a year or three but will now probably drag it out as part of my current stash reduction initiative, and your kind interest! I'm doing my patriotic duty and building an RNZAF Hind in camouflage, I know a guy with three of them and I'm hoping to see one fly at some point.

• Like 1

Blimey.  I turn away for a week’s walking in the North Highlands and Johnny is 3D printing…..

On 10/6/2021 at 1:14 AM, The Spadgent said:

So let’s start with those wheels. I found some pics and went at it with 3D Studio.

Thirty minutes later I had these.

30 minutes!  Well colour me envious :D   That’s one hell of a useful day job you’ve got there Johnny; I’ve yet to find any collateral usefulness for the law…or much primary use for it come to think of it :blush:

Already a hugely enjoyable/impressive thread and there’s so much more to come….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I haven't touched it for a year or three but will now probably drag it out as part of my current stash reduction initiative, and your kind interest! I'm doing my patriotic duty and building an RNZAF Hind in camouflage, I know a guy with three of them and I'm hoping to see one fly at some point.

Ohh you lucky sausage. :)    Post a link if you do do a WIP of the demon. I'd love to tag along.

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

Blimey.  I turn away for a week’s walking in the North Highlands and Johnny is 3D printing…..

30 minutes!  Well colour me envious :D   That’s one hell of a useful day job you’ve got there Johnny; I’ve yet to find any collateral usefulness for the law…or much primary use for it come to think of it :blush:

Already a hugely enjoyable/impressive thread and there’s so much more to come….

Why thank you sir.  I do seem to have found a bucket of Mojo under my desk. Maybe its the Covid? 😬

• Like 3

Hey you lot. An update but not on the demon.

I took a PCR test this morning as I was feeling grotty. I did a lateral flow and popped the PCR in the post box. on my return I had a red line in the "T" section of the test.  Positive. :( 

I'll await the PCR results but looks like I'm in for the next ten days.  

With that said I've decided to go all @corsaircorp and start another build.  It's over in Sci-Fi but you knew this was going to happen. Pop along and have a shufty if you fancy it. I'd love to have your company.

Here's a link.

Don't worry the Demon will still be worked on while the other one gets printed. :) 

Take care chums. 

Johnny.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Sorry to hear of your Covid test results Johnny. Let's hope your encounter with this pesky virus is brief and not too unpleasant.

Meanwhile I'll mosey on over to the Sci Fi section and see what you are up to there. I rarely go there as it is a strange place for me where things often make little sense, but I'll keep an open mind!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Damn bug !!

Have you been jabbed ?? Just send you my best wishes to get through this as fast as possible !! :kissing2:

Houps, I think the smiley is caught in too... Sorry !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/10/2021 at 08:54, AdrianMF said:

Regards,

Adrian

Correct, the Demon prop is OK. My bad. Now if anybody wants to print a corrected propellor for the Bulldog...

• Haha 1

On 09/10/2021 at 17:01, Terry1954 said:

Sorry to hear of your Covid test results Johnny. Let's hope your encounter with this pesky virus is brief and not too unpleasant.

Meanwhile I'll mosey on over to the Sci Fi section and see what you are up to there. I rarely go there as it is a strange place for me where things often make little sense, but I'll keep an open mind!

Terry

Thanks. After a few fever days I’m feeling a little better although my smell and taste have totally vanished. 😵💫

hope you enjoy Dewey. 😀

On 09/10/2021 at 17:32, corsaircorp said:

Damn bug !!

Have you been jabbed ?? Just send you my best wishes to get through this as fast as possible !! :kissing2:

Houps, I think the smiley is caught in too... Sorry !!

Sincerely.

CC

Yes. Double jabbed. Alas. Fingers crossed we come out of the other side unscathed. 🤞

On 09/10/2021 at 20:58, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

Did I notice another 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster on your stash ??

:dog::dog:

CC

Hell no. That’s the box from the one I built. I keep my spare parts it. 😇.

On 10/10/2021 at 11:13, TallBlondJohn said:

Correct, the Demon prop is OK. My bad. Now if anybody wants to print a corrected propellor for the Bulldog...

Thank heavens for that. 

On 10/10/2021 at 17:15, Brandy said:

It's @CedB's - give it back you cad!

Ian

I keep trying to temp him back with pictures of upside down aircraft but nothing is working. 😞

one day he’ll return.

Johnny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon. This virus is a real pain in my bottom. All my energy has just vanished and a fever over the past day or so has put a stopper on things.

I did venture into the cave this morning to take my mind off things and made some progress. 😀

The ribs still needed fixing so I took a before shot so I can look back at where we started.

51584986405_8ef8f4fbc0_b.jpg

After some sanding and sponging we are here.

51584084296_bf0aa085ea_b.jpg

I don’t want them to be smooth and I don’t just want lines. I’d rather little dips kind of like the real thing. 
before continuing with mare sanding I decided to remove the control surfaces.

51584986365_c0f97e7e3a_b.jpg

Not bad and makes the whole thing look more refined.

51583251697_546fc8c521_b.jpg

I need to take myself away for a bit after this to see if I need more sanding.

51584986380_7b988ded93_b.jpg

I did make the grab handles though. 😇

51584746889_67c176c428_b.jpg

and had a little practice with BMF.

Its strange to add but I think if I keep to small areas at a time I’ll be ok. 

51584305023_2a9466711b_b.jpg

Also decided to look how the wings and struts all fitted together.

see part 14? 😩

51584084211_bed65a1077_b.jpg

Where’s that glue? 😄

More later on.

Johnny

• Like 12