1/48 Hasegawa SeaKing : Conversion to RAF Har 3 : Falklands Conflict

• LaurieS changed the title to 1/48 Hasegawa SeaKing : Conversion to RAF Har 3 : Falklands Conflict
3 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Off to a good start Laurie. Hopefully there are not too many hurdles with this one.

Thanks Steve. Well I am not thinking of stamping my foot on it ---- yet !!!!

Forgot to mention. Found I had the PE for an RAF HAR 3 so that is what it is going to be.

But not the yellow job.

Those down in the Falklands were in grey camouflage.

Laurie

3 hours ago, Tomjw said:

This is very intricate work. Most impressive. Mind if I pull up a chair?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom just love to have you along.

Yes there is a lot of after stuff for this very nice kit. Pity Hasegwa have stopped producing it

Second hand kits going for £80 upwards. Crazy.

Laurie

29 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Hi Tom just love to have you along.

Yes there is a lot of after stuff for this very nice kit. Pity Hasegwa have stopped producing it

Second hand kits going for £80 upwards. Crazy.

Laurie

Thanks Laurie.

Yes, the Hasegawa kit prices are ridiculous now. But as an aftermarket junkie myself, your build will keep me enthralled. 

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Looking good. I always like the Flightpath sets. Far better than Eduard.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom.

Yes agree in every way. More interesting better detailed & 3d.

Only drawback not enough kits.

Laurie

• Like 1

Nice one, Laurie; not quite sure how I've missed this so far, but I'll tag along to watch your progress if I may.

As far as I can tell, the PE 'navigator's/communication position behind the cockpit area' represents the fold-down jump seat opposite the crew entry door and immediately behind the pilots' seats. It wasn't a defined crew position but was quite handy for the rearcrew to kneel on and look into the cockpit. The canvas seat base was normally a dark sea grey sort of colour IIRC.

The PE piece with the representation of the diagonal crossed straps was commonly referred to as 'Jock's Box' and was used to stow all kinds of kit, including intake/exhaust blanks and some rescue kit. The front covers under the straps were made from orange canvas-type material.

By 'box and file unit' I presume you mean the PE 'pocket' on the vertical piece facing the crew entrance door (centre black line in your double photo); this was commonly used for map stowage. Flight info documents and the inevitable 'blue brain' (blue A4 ring binder file packed with info) were generally kept in a blue canvas nav bag secured within easy reach at the back of the centre console. The two-part etched long piece next to the pocket, which looks like a flat representation of a ribbed hose, is precisely that: it should be a long tube with a chrome cup thingy on the end with a spring flap that clipped to the panel adjacent to the jump seat. It was rarely if ever used for its intended physiological purpose!

Apologies if you already know this...

Happy days.

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jonners said:

Nice one, Laurie; not quite sure how I've missed this so far, but I'll tag along to watch your progress if I may.

As far as I can tell, the PE 'navigator's/communication position behind the cockpit area' represents the fold-down jump seat opposite the crew entry door and immediately behind the pilots' seats. It wasn't a defined crew position but was quite handy for the rearcrew to kneel on and look into the cockpit. The canvas seat base was normally a dark sea grey sort of colour IIRC.

The PE piece with the representation of the diagonal crossed straps was commonly referred to as 'Jock's Box' and was used to stow all kinds of kit, including intake/exhaust blanks and some rescue kit. The front covers under the straps were made from orange canvas-type material.

By 'box and file unit' I presume you mean the PE 'pocket' on the vertical piece facing the crew entrance door (centre black line in your double photo); this was commonly used for map stowage. Flight info documents and the inevitable 'blue brain' (blue A4 ring binder file packed with info) were generally kept in a blue canvas nav bag secured within easy reach at the back of the centre console. The two-part etched long piece next to the pocket, which looks like a flat representation of a ribbed hose, is precisely that: it should be a long tube with a chrome cup thingy on the end with a spring flap that clipped to the panel adjacent to the jump seat. It was rarely if ever used for its intended physiological purpose!

Apologies if you already know this...

Happy days.

Jon

Thanks Jonners much appreciated. More than grateful to have you a long.

BritMod have to say has people with superb Info & Help. Spent times on

many forums & this is definitely the best for all of that.

That is a ton of info thank you . Please just keep it going Jonners. Great problem

I have found with making models is lack of info & this is great to have.

Now I am Fascinated. it should be a long tube with a chrome cup thingy on the end

with a spring flap that clipped to the panel adjacent to the jump seat.

It was rarely if ever used for its intended physiological purpose!

Care to expand on that.

Laurie

10 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Care to expand on that.

It's the 'pee tube'...

Apparently, while it was supposed to vent the liquid overboard through a drain hole, if it was used then the dregs of urine would crystallise and cause an almighty stink even if the tube was rinsed through. Yuk.

Sickbags, being capable of holding liquid and then being dropped into the sea, made a far more crew-friendly alternative. Allegedly. 

I have some HAR3 interior photos somewhere, but I'm not sure precisely where and I'm several hundred miles from them at the moment anyway, so I'm afraid I won't be much help in that department. I'll try to give useful 'steers' nonetheless.

As you intend to model a Falklands Grey Whale, remember that they were modded with nose and under-tail radar warning receivers that weren't fitted to the yellow fleet. They should be obvious on photos. The RWR display was fitted in the radar 'shack', IIRC, not in the cockpit.

Looking forward to your next instalment!

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress between kichen cleaning & renovation plus producing CDs from mp3s.

Just a little tidying up on the brass.

So herehttp://xgEYuH.jpg OR0RXK.jpg wYZ1pA.jpg Frkgw9.jpg goes. Brass near finished just a bit of tidying up.

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, IV(AC)Plumb said:

Looking good there, I helped create the Flight path set many years ago by mastering the sponsons.

Mine is still going strong after 20+ years. One of my favourite builds.

Steve

Yes it is a lovely kit with Flightpath added. As said my 3thrid Sea King must be mad.

Thanks for your comments Steve. Much appreciated. Not got to the sponsons yet.

The first two were RN with the flat sponsons.

Laurie

4 hours ago, SteveMc said:

The cockpit has come together nicely Laurie. Looking forward to more progress in between all your other activities 😄

Thanks Steve much appreciated. Yes "other activities". 😿

Hope all is well down your way.

Laurie

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Nice progress Laurie. The cockpit looks the business.

Best wishes to you and your family for Christmas and 2022 🎄🎄 🍷🍷

Thanks Steve very much appreciated.

Yes I hope you & your family have a great time.

Nor a pleasant period we are going thro. But all 14 in the family are boosted ie 3 jabs each.

But all of this is not going to get in the way of a very nice time.🫕🧑‍🎄🍺

Laurie

3 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Impressive work Laurie, especially the interior

Cheers,

Tom

Cheers Tom very much appreciated. Have a great Christmas.

Laurie

3 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Impressive work Laurie, especially the interior

Cheers,

Tom

Cheers Tom very much appreciated. Have a great Christmas.

Laurie

• Like 1

I'm disappointed you abandoned the HC 4 variant. However, I'll still tag along.

Above you said, you'd aim to please. There is only one person you have to please and that is your self. The rest of us are just spectators.

Colin

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

I'm disappointed you abandoned the HC 4 variant. However, I'll still tag along.

Above you said, you'd aim to please. There is only one person you have to please and that is your self. The rest of us are just spectators.

Colin

Sorry Colin for got quote. See above for my return on your quote.