Tamiya´s de Havilland Mosquito NF Mk.XIII/Mk.XVII 1/48?

Paramedic

I bought this a few years ago - made a little shoddy start so finished it off quickly without much effort on weathering or anything - since "I could always get another one".. Well. That was about when it disappeared.. ;)

Not seen Tamiya do that before or after, but I am not that knowledgable either.. But what happened? Low sales? Do they pull kits now and then? Might it come back?

My build is at my dad, my sister´s kids played with it a bit so some bits have fallen off.. I´m thinking about recovering the nose actually 8the "critical" part?), strip it and buy an FB. VI.. But not if there is a decent chance of finding one or if it comes back..

There's a few on that auction site at the moment.

Don't know why the Bullnose only had one run. Maybe it's a bit too niche?  The 1/72 one was hard to find as well. 

• Like 1

Ah, I need to check flea bay I guess.. But not really up to pay stupid prices just because.. 😕 Had to, kind of, do that to get a P-47N in 1/49 recently..

Good question.. I need to check that! Thanks!

I converted the MkIV to an early MkXIII with the smaller nose using a Blackbird Models conversion set..

There was no universal nose in the box..

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

There's a few on that auction site at the moment.

Don't know why the Bullnose only had one run. Maybe it's a bit too niche?  The 1/72 one was hard to find as well. 

I was lucky, I picked up all 3 1/72 kits in Japan for less than $30 US combined. Now I can't seem to find any of the three for less than $25 each. 

18 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Can somebody actually clever, unlike me.. ;) tell?

Klicky!

1 hour ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

According to Scalemates the NF Mk II boxing is based on the NF Mk XIII. Would that mean that the parts for a XIII are in the current box??

No, based upon, ie it has a new nose sprue  the one on the left 

tam_mosquitonf13_parts2.jpg

Note also the radar eyepiece ans boxes.

The NF II/ FBVI kit has these parts

1155_1_tam61062_6.jpg

1 hour ago, Paramedic said:

I´m thinking about recovering the nose actually 8the "critical" part?), strip it and buy an FB. VI..

is your simplest solution unless you want to try to find another.

Note, Airfix did a NF.30 kit,  which is their FB.VI kit plus new wings and the nose,  so can be built as a NF.XIII if you wish.   The Airfix kit is still rated as being better shaped than the Tamiya BTW.

HTH

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paramedic said:

Now I was thinking about a J 30, the Swedish with four bladed props..

IIRC that is a NF.XIX, (the XIII/XVII and XIX were externally the same, just the radar fitted in the universal nose varied)  so can be done with the Tamiya kit if you source the 4 blade props.   Not sure what is available in 1/48th at the moment.

Airfix did issue their 70's era  72nd Mosquito kit with additional parts to a J.30 at one point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

According to Scalemates the NF Mk II boxing is based on the NF Mk XIII. Would that mean that the parts for a XIII are in the current box??

Other way round Mark, the FB.VI/NF.II was the original tooling, the NF.XIII was a later release with different sprues for the nose as per Troy's post.

• Like 1

Yeah, that´s right. Maestro Model´s do the props, was at Rebell Hobby today and Max, the owner of both had thought about making the nose but Tamiya´s might be back so..

You get the right exhuasts in that tamiya box for a XIX?

Yeah, I had that 1/72 too. Just stopp building the small scale.. ;)

Did the Mk.XIII have the bullnose?  I though that only came in with the US radar, ie the MK.XVII and Mk.XIX.  Basically the NF variants came in pairs, one based on the Mk.II airframe (and basically conversions of the earlier NF marks) and the other with the Mk.VI wing i.e. underwing tanks.  The difference between each pair of marks was the radar fitted, the intermediate marks having a thimble nose, which was what I remember as being fitted to the Tamiya 1/72 kit.

To answer your original question, the Mk XVII was developed from the Mk II - one a/c I am particularly interested in is HK290, which was actually built as a Mk II, then converted. If you can find a Mk VI, you will need the ‘bull’ nose and radar set from your built Mk XVII. Note there also appears to be a ‘Gee’ set on the sprues which you may want to retain too. In the Mk VI I think you get an extra section to add to the instrument panel, which isn’t used for the Mk II, nor for the Mk XVII

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 19:02, Paramedic said:

Ah, I need to check flea bay I guess.. But not really up to pay stupid prices just because.. 😕 Had to, kind of, do that to get a P-47N in 1/49 recently..

Good question.. I need to check that! Thanks!

Prices on that auction site are very reasonable at the moment < £25 including postage.