The flying barrel - Pilot Replicas 1/48 Saab J29F Tunnan

Always good to have those small bits done, I struggle with them every time at the end of a build, I really have to force myself to work through it and finish. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello folks,

moving the Tunnan from Nordic II to Kuta didn't help. Not a single build finished in the last six months .... But the 1:1 scale IKEA's for my daughter have somewhat progressed.  Ordered nearly 4 weeks ago and the last bits of the kits should arrive saturday (5th partial delivery and probably more than 12 hours on the phone :angry:).

After several painting sessions to repair the areas damaged when unmasking I'm about happy with the NMF. I used alu, dull alu, dark alu, duraluminium over the base semi-flat alu.  Still the semi flat alu kept giving an uneven shade/shine. Will have to do like it is. 

spacer.png

I hope I will be able to put this nice kit in the RFI a one time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for your support and thanks to Enzo for this GB.

Cheers.

Pat.

• Like 8

Well you might not be as far along as you would like Pat but the work you have done is really good. The different metallic shades look excellent and the dayglo panels stand out very nicely. Don't worry mate, you will get her finished and when you do she will be a model to be very proud of.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

Looks awesome! Both the metallic finish and the dayglo panels! Can't wait to see it done. 

19 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Well you might not be as far along as you would like Pat but the work you have done is really good. The different metallic shades look excellent and the dayglo panels stand out very nicely. Don't worry mate, you will get her finished and when you do she will be a model to be very proud of.

🇺🇦

Sincere thanks, guys. Maybe I shouldn't but I'd like to do some weathering/a wash. In fact I already dirtied the dayglo with powder (pencil lead) but it doesn't really show ?

I won't dare to say ASAP in the RFI but there it will end before I enlist for another GB.

A nice evening to you my friends.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Moved this for you :) I've got one of these in black primer somewhere that I should really kick my own butt about, but that'll have to wait til I've finished my current crop of builds ;)

Keep up the good work :yes:

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

Moved this for you :) I've got one of these in black primer somewhere that I should really kick my own butt about, but that'll have to wait til I've finished my current crop of builds ;)

Keep up the good work :yes:

I'm waiting for the kit I intend to build for the "Turning Japanese GB" so I'll do my best to end the Tunnan by the end of next week.

The flying barrel is such an appealing jet, not sleek but attractive still. Get your's out of the shelf soonest as possible, please. I'd be really glad to see it.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Hello friends,

It's been a long time (again) but I'm back at the bench with the little barrel. Thanks again to Mike for moving the thread here after it sitting in Nordic II then KUTA 2021. Yes I need a good :bangin: for my slowness and mojo losses.

As you can see it received a gloss coat, decals and weathering. My first use of Alclad 600 Aqua gloss - straight from the bottle - and really happy with it as it doesn't alter Vallejo Metal Colors like Tamiya X-22.

What you also will see is that the poor little guy is now quite grimy. Well, most of the time I can't stand shiny NMFs so I decided to try an overall wash to enhance panel lines and weather it at the same time (second time I try that. The first one was with another kit and ended up as a disaster - acrylic over acrylic, preliminary gloss coat forgotten :wall:.

This time I went for watercolours. It works fine but for one caveat: they get too easily wiped out of/along panel lines so you end up with accumulated pigments/grime at some places and nothing elsewhere. I did the needed "fill in" with Humbrol enamel thinned with mineral spirits. No problem over Alclad Aqua gloss.

Somewhat overdone in places but I'm happy, considering it's a first. Three stencils went awol in the process so another first will be to print a replacement.

Speaking of the decals, it's rather strange as the stencils and numbers are commendably thin but the roundels are thick and flexible, a bit like thin vinyl masks. As I use soft setting solution only, three applications were required and care also to have these conform on the fuselage sides. Can't complain though, they're "solid" and adhere very well.

Now for the pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I made the underside much (too?) more grimy.

spacer.png

Now I'll print the missing stencils (crossing fingers) and then apply the sealing semi-gloss coat. As it's recommended by many here, I'll give a try at Winsor & Newton Galeria.

Be happy with whatever suits you ... a good day to all.

Pat.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Looking really good! I love the aluminium finish.

I really need this kit too.. ^^

I consider it as the best 1/48 Tunnan (but I don't have the Tarangus kit, so take it with a grain of salt). In my opinion only the likes of Tamiya and Eduard could do better.

Do yourself a favor, you won't regret it. It's a Christmas gift from my daughter, To spend 60 € for a 1/48 "small" kit is certainly not my habit but, had it come from my wallet,, I wouldn't regret a single cent.

Hi again,

I just did a last small touch-up over a scratch and here you can see what I mean with Vallejo's semi-flat aluminium uneven painting/shade results. That's weird, as I don't have this problem with their other metallizers (straight, flat and dark aluminium, steel ....).

spacer.png

Nothing to :rant: about but somewhat disappointing.

Now back at it, some weathering to do on the gear before putting it on (sunday if all goes well).

Bye for now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

We took some holidays at the coast. Great weather! Being able to swim in the North Sea in may is really unusual.

Now back home and the rain decided to come. Not a bad thing for my wife's vegetable garden.

The barrel sits squat on its legs but finishing has become a "neverending story".

Three stencils gone when weathering (an opportunity to print decals for the first time), paint flaking off the wingtips and extra-thin cement ruining a gear door .... just another mere delay but I'm getting hot about it.

spacer.png

I weathered the wheel wells and gear doors too. The poor little barrel really needs a shower.

spacer.png

As the "Turning Japanese" GB ends in August, I'd better be more proficient with the intended Zero, lest @trickyrich will have my hide this time 😉.

A nice evening to all.

Pat.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Nice!!

:thumbsup:

Looking realistic! :)

Thanks Werner. I can't decide what would be best for a final coat, gloss or semi-gloss?

I think that she's looking great Pat.

Don't forget that the dayglo patches were applied during an exercise and during exercises there is more flying and less cleaning than usual so the finish you have achieved is a good example of this.

I always find that it is difficult to get a build through the few final stages and its also where I make the most mistakes too, keep going mate as she is very close to being completed.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I think that she's looking great Pat.

Don't forget that the dayglo patches were applied during an exercise and during exercises there is more flying and less cleaning than usual so the finish you have achieved is a good example of this.

I always find that it is difficult to get a build through the few final stages and its also where I make the most mistakes too, keep going mate as she is very close to being completed.

🇺🇦

Your kind support is really appreciated, mate.

I had never tried extensive weathering over a NMF. In my experience Vallejo metal colors are great but somewhat fragile and don't like buffing so I usually avoid meddling after paint is on.

Your comments will for sure help me carry on to the finish line.

Cheers.

Pat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ianwau said:

Very impressed with the finish you've achieved there. The kit looks like a ton of fun!

Thanks a lot @ianwau for the appreciative comment. It's even more regarded and rewarding as I put much more effort than usual into the painting and weathering. That's the kind of kit you want to do justice to.

To sum my experience up:

Low parts count but nice details, extremely good fit.

It is no shake and bake kit because it lacks more sturdy/positive locating/alignment pins/tabs for the rear gear legs, front gear doors, seat, lower front fuselage parts and rear shock wheel (beware, that part is not mentioned in the instructions).

Nothing to worry about the build though, just some care is needed.

The only area lacking detail is the exhaust pipe. Scratch build replacement easily done.

Some people complained that the rivets shape is inconsistent in some places. It is, but IMHO nothing to rave about after a coat of primer and paint (if you really want, a tad of surfacer and rescribing should take care of it).

No other build mentions it but as I still don't understand what I did wrong, better to mention it (again)

- the front underside fuselage halves did not want to be joined with the front wheel well into place. That sub-assembly is the only one that needed clamping and filler.

- I sanded a bit off the side of the cockpit floor to perfectly fit the upper fuselage halves 

I'd say it's like a recent Eduard kit but very well thought out so as to be very much simpler (in a positive way, without lacking detail).

If you like early jets or the flying barrel in particular, that's the one to have. A very enjoyable build.

Pat.

• Like 1

Good afternoon,

No pics today. Here just to tell you that the Tunnan has received it's final coat of varnish. I've used Winsor & Newton Galeria satin thinned with 20% water. It sprayed really beautifully without pooling, dry tip ..... First time with that one, certainly not the last.

So still some bits to add (pitots, antenna, rear wingtip lights). I hope nothing will go wrong when I'll remove the canopy fixed with Blu Tack/Patafix (also one part still to add therein) as I don't remember which green I used for the pit 🤣.

I hope it's also a sunny day at your place.

It should arrive in the RFI sunday or monday.

Pat

Edit 09/06/2022: done. Pics and RFI tomorrow.

Edited by PattheCat
update

• 2 weeks later...

The Tunnan has landed in the RFI.

My thanks to all those who watched, commented and helped me to carry on.

I hope you enjoyed this WIP.

Have a pleasant day.

Pat.

• Like 2