The flying barrel - Pilot Replicas 1/48 Saab J29F Tunnan

Hello,

Sorry if I disappoint but it will be just one pic of the IP for today. I put on a fight with the PE seatbelts and it seems I'm losing. The PE is excellent but primer and paint are flaking off and while removing what was left I broke a buckle. I'll also need to tidy up the seat (remove CA and repaint). Better to let it - and myself - cool down.

spacer.png

The decals (3) fit OK and reacted well to the setting solution (DACO soft). Still, should I have cut the center one in half the alignment would have been perfect. After a flat coat and some drybrushing I'll declare it OK.

Have a nice day.

Pat.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Good evening.

I'm glad to say the replacement part arrived yesterday.

I finally set the PE straight or bended it to my will or ...... 😄. Repainted with the same Gunze aqueous but diluted with Mr. Color Levelling thinner, this time it didn't flake off (my first time with non pre-painted PE). Looking at pictures, I decided to open the hole in the seat back to use a bit of wire to let the belts "dangle". Some Tamiya smoke was sprayed on the floor, to obtain some difference between the seat and floor alu. Watercolour used for a "light test wash" on the belts, seat and front of the floor.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Have a nice week-end.

Pat.

• Like 6

Hello and thanks for your suppot.

Some work done last weekend.

One pic of the completed pit before closing the upper front fuselage halves.

spacer.png

Fit of the rear fuselage halves is perfect

spacer.png

except that the custom exhaust caused the tiniest step at the rear underside

spacer.png

Who needs an aftermarket seamless intake when there is filler available? Quite gritty in there, truly (my doing, nthing to do with the kit parts) - only the front is nice and smooth - the cone shape didn't make it easy to sand properly. Better than seams, though.

spacer.png

Like with the original parts, setting the front gear well into its right place causes a seam. I'll wait till the upper halves are glued to test how all three fuselage subassemblies do fit before glueing that one together (better safe than sorry).

Talking about the replacement parts, I got them completely for free, not even postage to pay. You sure can't dream of a better service! Thanks, Pilot Replicas.

spacer.png

That's all for now, folks.

No more rain today. I hope you're enjoying some sun too.

Pat

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon fellow modellers.

No progress to speak of but something I'd like to show before proceeding.

Simple but clever way to design movable control surfaces.

spacer.png

Well thought engineering of the attachment for the wings so that

spacer.png

you get a snug fit and the correct anhedral

spacer.png

Now I go back to the bench.

Have a nice day.

Pat

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Col. said:

Nice work so far Pat. Hopefully that underside seam gap can be closed up easily.

Thanks @Col.. These are the replacement parts of the subassembly I damaged so I've already got an idea of what to do. The first time I had cut inside a fuselage half to insert one of the locating ridges of the wheel well part and there was no gap anymore. This time I'll probably eliminate both ridges and glue the part after the fuselage halves are joined.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

the fit with this model does look to be very nice.

Hi Rich @trickyrich. It's indeed VERY good. Just a wee bit of sanding at the pit floor's side to perfectly close the upper front fuselage.

I think the problem with the underside parts could have been avoided if I had followed the instructions: glue the fuselage halves first and then the wheel well instead of attaching it to a half.

Now there is a small step along the junction seam with one side of the upper fuselage.

I'm kinda stuck, scratching my head on how to get rid of it without damaging surface detail - my clamps are not wide enough and slide away. The part is not yet glued, thankfully. 

spacer.png

When that's sorted out I'll be able to put all the subassemblies together  so that it finally resembles a Tunnan.

Have a good modelling time.

Pat.

• Like 5

Doing well Pat, with the usual thoroughness. 

Building trucks is easier and much more forgiving, everything can and will be wonky on an old truck 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Hello, fellows.

Some progress yesterday evening and this morning. 

30 gr of various fishing weights takes some space. I had to be careful with their size/positioning to avoid interference with the intake duct.

spacer.png

A tip concerning the position lights. There is a protrusion - representing the lamp, I presume - moulded on the upper wing half. But a half one also exists on the lower wing part, this last has to be cut off and a small groove made in its place to perfectly close the wintip there. Very good fit at the leading edges, just a bit of extra thin along the seam and light sanding to be OK.

spacer.png

With the weights glued into place the lower fuselage part didn't flex anymore, so I decided to spread the upper part just a little bit to get rid of the very small fit problem. The spacer had to be temporary, else it would prevent the placement of the engine intake duct. So I used a quarter of a cork stopper from a wine bottle that I should be able to remove later.

spacer.png

Clamped and waiting 24h for the glue to set. I hope it will hold when the spreader will be removed. The access panel seems too deeply set in but it's far worse on the pic than in reality.

spacer.png

Speaking of clamps I had ordered Irwin ones but sent them back as they seemed cheaply made and the plastic tips were so slick that the clamp slipped away. I found these ("S" size 4 1/4 inch aperture reach) in a local DIY shop. Sturdier and nearly half the price. They work very well (slightly "rubbery" plastic tips and easy to use one-handed).

spacer.png

I guess I'll be able to put everything together tomorrow.

Have a nice weekend.

Pat.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looking good Pat, those clamps look very good and should help keep the nose section in place while the glue sets.

I think that makes me an old truck then Jeroen!

Thanks Craig. At 6.59 € apiece they're good value and I think I'll buy two more. Still, I'd like to also add Berna clamps to my toolbox.

If you're an old truck, we'll share the same parking lot.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, reini said:

Nice work on getting perfect fit on the nose. I have to remember that if/when I find myself in similar situation. 

Many thanks Reini. As I never saw a comment about this  - smallish - fit problem in other build threads, I presume I did something "slightly" wrong. Still, I like to be thorough in my build explanations, in the hope that it will be useful to others. So you're most welcome when you'll put this one on the bench.But really, it's a "no sweat" kit.

Problem indeed solved, as you can see:

spacer.png

Excellent fit of the fuselage front and rear subassemblies, clamped "just to be sure"

spacer.png

The tailplane just slotted in (some strength required), precise and snug fit without glue

spacer.png

I keep enjoying this build and hope you like it.

Have a good weekend.

Pat.

• Like 6