The flying barrel - Pilot Replicas 1/48 Saab J29F Tunnan

Hello everybody.

I finally chose my entry for this GB (my second participation in a GB and I hope I'll be able to finish in time, this time 😳).  It's not the intended one ( a camouflaged J26 - Airfix 1/48 P51 D-5 new tool).

Three reasons for this: 

1) there are already two Mustang builds well under way here, so I decided to add something not already represented (BTW very nice job so far @Paramedic and @fmichelsen)

2) I build props 99% of the time, why not a jet once?

3) I like the "flying barrel" ever since I had the Matchbox kit in my hands over 40 years ago - but at the time I bought another 109 instead, ... :banghead:Well, I was young OK!

About time to take the very nice Pilot Replicas 1/48 kit of the J29F out of the stash, don't you think?

It shall be stictly OOB, as is my wont. The version with dayglo markings catched my eye (I think I won't use the decals but paint instead).

I won't go into lenghts about the kit as our very own and only @Mike did it far better than I could (here) and gratfied us with a very nice build too (here).

Now the "minimal" mandatory pics, though:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Many thanks to @trickyrich for organizing this GB.

Any comment and counsel is appreciated.

I hope you'll enjoy it all. Thanks for watching.

Still some paints to order and then :pilot:

Have a nice day.

Pat. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the callout, but I´ve not done too much yet! :D (Actually done more, just don´t have "fun" pics, yet.. ;) ) @fmichelsen´s is really nice though!

Cool subject, I have yet to buy this one..! (F or B - Congo - or both??) So this will be very interesting and helpful. And i agree, dayglo looks cool - and probably better painted?  But it is a nice touch getting decals.

OOB sounds good.

)Pilot Replica´s SAAB 106,/Sk 60 is soon here by the way..)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A great choice, can't beat the "Flying Barrel"!

I built the HobbyBoss 1/48 (actually closer to 1/50) one last time we did this GB, not the most accurate kit in the world but a stress free and fun build. I look forward to seeing how this one goes together and agree completely that painting the dayglo is the way to go, give it a yellow coat first then you can weather it back slightly to add even more interest.

31 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

A great choice, can't beat the "Flying Barrel"!

I built the HobbyBoss 1/48 (actually closer to 1/50) one last time we did this GB, not the most accurate kit in the world but a stress free and fun build. I look forward to seeing how this one goes together and agree completely that painting the dayglo is the way to go, give it a yellow coat first then you can weather it back slightly to add even more interest.

Thanks for the tip with the dayglo That's a colour I never used.

After reading different reviews I skipped my turn with the HobbyBoss kit and waited for a re-release of the PR one. Not saying that the HB doesn't look like a Tunnan, but hearing everywhere that the PR is a "better" kit.....

Sorry I forgot to take a look at your progress with the Draken (another kit that's still in my stash). It's coming well along.

Pat

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Thanks for the tip with the dayglo That's a colour I never used.

After reading different reviews I skipped my turn with the HobbyBoss kit and waited for a re-release of the PR one. Not saying that the HB doesn't look like a Tunnan, but hearing everywhere that the PR is a "better" kit.....

Sorry I forgot to take a look at your progress with the Draken (another kit that's still in my stash). It's coming well along.

Pat

I think the PR kit is a much better one then the HB one, I really enjoyed building the HB one but it has it's issues, the wheels are enormous and the intake is too big. I can live with the scale not being exactly 1/48 if everything else was in the correct proportion.

Thanks for your kind remarks on my Draken, it's a pretty good kit but not without it's own issues, nothing drastic though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Yeah - the Pilot Replica one has much better shapes. :) I did the same and skipped the HB one..

What paints do you use @PattheCat? Mr Paint has that Dayglo.. Not used it myself though.MRP-194. Atleast I´m told it is that same shade..

Since I left the hobby when I was 20 because of solvents, I now only use water/IPA based acrylics. Gunze and Tamiya with the airbrush, Vallejo Metal Colors for the metallizers, Revell Aqua for detail/hand painting.

I did some search about dayglo and it should be (for the USAF) flurorescent red-orange FS 28913/FS26654 then from the mid 60's FS12197/FS37556/RAL2005 International Orange.

I've got some Revell Aqua luminous orange (flat ref. 36125) that they reference as RAL2005. I don't know what the Swedish AF used in the late 50's, so if nobody can tell better, I'll use that. The color sticker on the can matches the decals - that's no proof but still a good hint.

• Like 1

You are smarter than me, I stilll use some nasty paints.. ;)

Yeah, sounds good. I do not know too much about that daygloo but iirc there was one similar to the one you have here and a more red. But i could be wrong.

I´ll see what any of my books say.

15 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

You are smarter than me, I stilll use some nasty paints.. ;)

Yeah, sounds good. I do not know too much about that daygloo but iirc there was one similar to the one you have here and a more red. But i could be wrong.

I´ll see what any of my books say.

Surely a lot less smart than you as I never quit smoking.

The "early" one is indeed said to be more red. The Revell I chose as a match for the dayglo on our Belgian AF planes.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

"I love the smell of Lacquer in the morning!"   :christmas:

Welcome along with a fine looking model and actually another one I would like to get as well..... I built the wee matchbox one in the Congo UN scheme. Would love to do a 1/48th one in the same scheme.

Good luck with the build, I'll be following with interest..... and can't promise I won't have one in the stash by the time this GB is over!! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great choice @PattheCat

I built the same kit in the first Nordic GB last year. 

It's a great kit, but take your time with it and don't rush it. 

As for the dayglo colours, don't try and use the decals. 

I did and had to work in overdrive to get them to fit. 

Good luck with your build. 

/Bosse :viking:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Marlin said:

Great choice @PattheCat

I built the same kit in the first Nordic GB last year. 

It's a great kit, but take your time with it and don't rush it. 

As for the dayglo colours, don't try and use the decals. 

I did and had to work in overdrive to get them to fit. 

Good luck with your build. 

/Bosse :viking:

Thanks for the tips. I'll follow your advice and think twice to glue once.

10 hours ago, PattheCat said:

I've got some Revell Aqua luminous orange (flat ref. 36125) that they reference as RAL2005. I don't know what the Swedish AF used in the late 50's, so if nobody can tell better, I'll use that. The color sticker on the can matches the decals - that's no proof but still a good hint.

I have used the Revell Aqua Luminous Orange and was very happy with how it turned out.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I have used the Revell Aqua Luminous Orange and was very happy with how it turned out.

Thank you for the link. The luminous orange seems to be the way to go. Very nice chopper. What would we get if we mated an orange flying banana with an orange flying barrel?

• Haha 2

Good morning to all.

The kit is now on the bench. First, I read the instructions and did some dry-fitting.

Fit is extremely precise, the inserts on the fuselage sides are spot on. panel lines between fuselage halves join perfectly, surface detail is gorgeous BUT

I find this kit to be quite fiddly: sparse and tiny locating pins/tabs. Not a problem but It's easier to test fit when it's more "solid".

To test fit the fuselage consisting of six parts, I first glued the front wheel well to one of the chin halves (as per instructions), let it set and added the other half the next day.

I was in for a surpise ....

When putting the halves together I got a gap, maybe 0.3 mm wide, all along the center seam and the assembly wouldn't set in the rear fuselage. There are thin aligment ridges on both sides of the wheel well but no grooves in the fuselage so I cut one for the second half then glued the halves together. I should just have debonded the wheel well and cut BOTH ridges before glueing it because  now the bay is slightly off center.

Just three pics so that you can appreciate the fit and surface detail and see what I mean with the wheel bay.

spacer.png

With the ridge inserted.

spacer.png

Without

spacer.png

Have a sunny sunday.

Bye.

Pat.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee the moulded detail on her is lovely!

Yup. You could rebox it as Eduard and nobody would observe that it isn't their own tooling, except for the softer plastic.

Good morning. As the only part lacking (mentioned in nearly every build of this kit) is the exhaust nozzle, I decided to try to impove it. Some scratch build was in order, done yesterday.

Exhaust nozzle thinned from inside (a bit too much as a half broke between my fingers and it's not perfectly round anymore 😁) and bottom removed. I then used the burner cans of a revell 1/72 Rafale. One used as is, the other shortened. Then glued together and the end of the burner tube wall sanded to be half rounded (my reference is the Aires replacement set).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not accurate but looking somewhat better than the thick and shallow kit part IMHO. What do you think?

Good day to all.

• Like 7

Bad news my friends. While glueing weights into the front belly subassembly my gloves stuck and I overturned the CA jar. All the parts are well damaged 😠.

I sent an email to pilot replicas to see if I could buy relacement sprues, crossing fingers now.

:sorry:

Pat.

• Sad 5

30 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Oh no! I am really sorry to hear this as I was enjoying your build and really like the Tunnan.

I hope that you are able to get replacement parts soon.

Thanks, mate but believe it or not .....

I got an immediate answer! Théy'll send the parts ..... with only postage to pay!

Dear, I never saw such outstanding service even from Eduard who are real good. And it being my fault moreover.

I'm positively flabbergasted.

:yahoo:

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Thanks, mate but believe it or not .....

I got an immediate answer! Théy'll send the parts ..... with only postage to pay!

Dear, I never saw such outstanding service even from Eduard who are real good. And it being my fault moreover.

I'm positively flabbergasted.

:yahoo:

Wow! That really is fantastic customer care, there are a few bigger manufacturers that could learn a lesson or two from this.

• Like 1

Good afternoon, Britmodellers.

Some work done on the cockpit parts.

I couldn't find an equivalent to FS 14128 in the Gunze Aqueous and Tamiya range and tried different greens I have on a test kit. But I was never happy with the result and comparison charts from Vallejo, Humbrol etc. all gave different answers. So I  searched a near match on e-paint.co.uk and came out with FS 24097 for FS 34128. As Gunze H340 is marked as FS 34097 but is semi-gloss, I settled for that one (click here to view comparison).

Dry brushing for weathering was done with Vallejo Metal color Dull aluminium. I'll spray some Tamiya "smoke" on the floor to dull it. Not sure if I'll give the pit a wash (burnt umber if I do).

Here is the result, the belts are not fully glued yet (CA yeeek!)

spacer.png

Have fun, build something.

Pat.

• Like 9