1/48 - Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor by I Love Kit - released

Homebee

On 11/14/2021 at 2:33 PM, Beermonster1958 said:

I had another look. There is a pair of items that look like underwing pylons on the sprue with the lower nose.

John

What ever this is, the real Raptor does not have pylons for external armament for now.

You can mount up to 4 big external tanks for ferry purposes. That's it :D

• Like 3

On 11/14/2021 at 7:43 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

I would have expected a 1/32 kit at the very least for that sort of price

John

A 1/32 F-22 (New Tool) would push the wallet towards $175 and beyond I'm afraid. That being said....I would buy it.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor by I Love Kit - box art+sprues - release in 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor by I Love Kit - box art+sprues+schemes+decals - release January 2022

thanks for the pics!

so it seems they know themselves very well that ~ half the plastic content is not for this kit if I look at the markings sheet! :(

mishappen Aim-9X and

the JDAMs look like 2000lb GBU-31 with BLU warhead to me... would those even fit a Raptor weapons bay? I thought they were limited to the 1000lb GBU-32?

:(

not the best option in current shipping volume crisis! but their main market will be China anyways......

but then.... ,maybe it is the best F-22 in 1/48!

the Academy one has/ had nose / stab  shape issues...

the Hasegawa one "a little" prominent surface features!

looking forward to a retailed review by the more knowledgeable ones!

• Like 1

Well at least the shape seems good. Kit top sprue overlaid the best plan photo I could find

spacer.png

Pity that the weapons parts seem poor choices with accuracy issues as noted by @exdraken above it seems as if it'll come down to surface detail and actual selling price. A tinted canopy would have been nice though....

The other variable are decals which can be good or very poor and sharpness of moulded detail which can be an issue too. Various US Forums have guys who know the real thing intimately so we should soon know the issues.

On a related note a ferry option with FOUR underwing tanks and 8 pylon shoulder mounted missiles (with 3 fins on each removed to be stowed internally) is listed but has anybody seen a four bag load either in flight or on the ground?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, J-Walker said:

Hello,

I Love Kit on its website states that the length of the model is 328.9 mm http://www.ilovekit.com/index.php?g=home&m=product&a=show&id=83&l=en. The length of the real F-22 is 18.9 m, after conversion to the scale it is 393.75 mm. Is the model too short by 65 mm!?!?

Best

Stefan

Looks like they got their numbers wrong, if you check SleeperService's excellent comparion with a photo in a previous post the kit seems pretty good lengthwise. I just wish they wouldn't do the raised areas all over the aircraft for the stealth features. I wonder, if they do a Spitfire will the green areas on the camouflage be raised to show us where to paint that colour?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Richard123 said:

if you check SleeperService's excellent comparion with a photo in a previous post the kit seems pretty good lengthwise.

that does not mean anything. it only means the proportions/ shapes are ok. nothing about scale!

of course I have no idea about where the error is. in the kit or in the numbers  ;)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, exdraken said:

that does not mean anything. it only means the proportions/ shapes are ok. nothing about scale!

of course I have no idea about where the error is. in the kit or in the numbers  ;)

It would be slightly annoying if they get the shape right and the scale wrong overall. I'm checking a couple of US sites, as soon as the kit arrives there are several ready to pounce who can reference the real deal directly.

Let us think positive thoughts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

It would be slightly annoying if they get the shape right and the scale wrong overall.

would not be the first time this happens... HB Saab Tunnan is underscale reportedly.. but 65 mm is rather a lot.... ~ 1/57? if I did the maths correctly...

the generic weapons would look rather overscale!

On 1/24/2022 at 9:59 AM, exdraken said:

The error is in the numbers. Actual aircraft is 44' 6" in span which equates to 282.6mm at 1/48, length is 62' 1" - 394.2mm. I Love Kit quote 283.6 x 328.9. They're close on span but well off on length. From SleeperService's image the kit looks good proportionally so they must be off on at least one of their numbers. I don't know how SleeperService scaled the photo but if the kit is only 328.9mm long it's closer to 1/58 scale and I think that would have been noticeable. But I agree without knowing the span of the kit I don't know if it's wrong, but the numbers definitely are.

• Like 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor by I Love Kit - released
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hannants have them in stock. AFAIK it comes without a tinted canopy hood, which for £99 is a big fail for me.

I Love Kit Instructions seem to have a Trumpeter-Hobby Boss empire look, or designed by the same house, so I'd much rather they had done it in 1/32 for £175 a pop.

Tony

I'm quite happy with the Raptor kits I have (Academy & Hasegawa, both of which have their foibles), but if we get the opportunity to review one I'll gladly do so, just so the pickers of nits can mooch over the sprues. :)

Anyone that thinks that £100 for a large new tool 1:48 kit (regardless of the number of seats) is too much is going to be very disappointed going forward, as the days of pocket money modelling are long gone.  Things got a lot more expensive, period.  Also, the Raptor doesn't look small parked next to a Lanc of the same scale.  granted it's not got four fans on the wings, but it's a lot of tooling in this expensive world we live in.  The days of £30 1:48 kits are leaving us for good, sadly.

As to whether it's accurate or not?  We'll find out eventually, but I wouldn't let it stop me buying one (if I wanted one) just because it doesn't have a tinted canopy.  Are we not modellers? :shrug: I'm guessing that making a separate tooling block for the canopy is prohibitively expensive, as the few kits I've got with tinted canopies (IIRC) tend to just re-pop another clear sprue but with a tint.  Pumping plastic into a few unused parts is generally cheaper than creating a new tooling block, even if it's a small one.  I'm sure someone at Airfix once said (3rd hand info) that the plastic that's pumped into the moulds was the cheapest or one of the cheapest parts of the package.

• Like 2

I always say to myself before commenting on any modelling forum, Do I want Eduard/Tamiya/Arma/Wingnut quality at Revell prices???!!  Then I wake up and have my medicine...fast!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2023 at 2:44 AM, Bozothenutter said:

So, anyone seen one, built one, checked one?

Had a search on several fora, and nothing turns up, except for the MBK unboxing.

I’m currently building this particular kit. One issue is worth mentioning, the edge on the fuselage which is supposed to align with the intake part is somewhat shortened, rendering it misaligned. I supposed this could be fixed with either epoxy putty or pla-plate. Other than that, everything seems fine so far.

On 6/5/2023 at 8:44 PM, Bozothenutter said:

So, anyone seen one, built one, checked one?

Had a search on several fora, and nothing turns up, except for the MBK unboxing.

Although it doesn't tell anything about accuracy, this build at least shows the parts in much better detail and according to the builder it goes together well enough: https://modellbauer.forumieren.de/t11349-f22-raptor-148-von-ilovekit-geb-von-millpet

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1