USMC F-4B

Stefan Buysse

Hi,

I love Phantoms and I wouldn't want to miss out on the GB.

I'd like to finish in time, so I won't be going for one of the big 1/48 projects.

Here's my beloved Hasegawa kit, straight from the 1990's and still wrapped in plastic.

This box-art is in my top two of Shigeo Koike's work, the other one being the Bicentennial F-4N's that are on some boxings of the 1/48 F-4B/N kit.

Beo8CMn.jpg

For the decals I'll use the VMFA-314 option from this microscale sheet. I've always wanted a VMFA-314 F-4B. I wish there were more 1/72 decals for USMC Phantoms in Vietnam.

If they turn out to be too old to be useable, I'll switch to another squadron.  

I'm aiming to keep this simple and finish on time. 

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here she is, with 25 year old decals for the instrument panels.

qOHmBxL.jpg

There are some gaps and steps. Maybe I could do better with one of those new Fine Molds kits...  

I have one of their F-4J's. I considered adding that one to this GB, but for a British forum we're a bit low on the Spey-engined Phantoms. I think I'll add a 1/72 Fujimi F-4K which has been in my stash since the mid-1990's.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 10:40 PM, Stefan Buysse said:

This box-art is in my top two of Shigeo Koike's work

Some of the best box art I've ever seen.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:40 PM, Stefan Buysse said:

For the decals I'll use the VMFA-314 option from this microscale sheet. I've always wanted a VMFA-314 F-4B. I wish there were more 1/72 decals for USMC Phantoms in Vietnam.

If they turn out to be too old to be useable, I'll switch to another squadron.  

My old microscale decals still seem OK, good luck with yours.

13 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

There are some gaps and steps. Maybe I could do better with one of those new Fine Molds kits...  

I'm getting exactly the same with my Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa) F-4C, but nothing unmanageable. Fine Molds F-4D on it's way from Japan, I think they will take the Hasegawa and Fujimi 1/72 crowns - if you can find them!

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...