An-2 or An-2M for Lima Site 85

boom.boom

Good evening colleagues.

I plan to make an armed version of An-2 from the famous attack on Lima Site 85 and I have some doubts about that... In the first place, I'm not sure which box of hobby boss An-2 in 1/48 best suits this particular topic? An-2 or an-2m?

Thank you very much, Bojan! 

Definitely use an AN-2, with the rounded-off, rather than squared-off vertical stabilizer.  They were painted overall dark green and lacked insignia of any kind.  Make sure to position an Air America UH-1D nearby, too!

• Thanks 1

Hi B.B.

I got a photo of a crashed one if it`s any help, I was going to try the same thing but couldn`t make out if the markings were over painted or the areas cut out by souvenir hunters?

npoX1m2.jpg

Good luck with yours

Cheers Russ

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2021 at 1:58 PM, modelldoc said:

Here is a painting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Painting_lima85.jpg

modelldoc

Thank You @modelldoc, i am aware of this painting by Keith Woodcock but i am not sure how much can rely on accuracy. if I'm not mistaken the number on the tail is 665-C.

On 10/5/2021 at 4:29 PM, russ c said:

Hi B.B.

I got a photo of a crashed one if it`s any help, I was going to try the same thing but couldn`t make out if the markings were over painted or the areas cut out by souvenir hunters?

npoX1m2.jpg

Good luck with yours

Cheers Russ

Thank you @russ c, the photo is fantastic and i was not aware of its existence. Looking further on the web I came across a picture from another angle. It clearly shows that the NVAF marking is overpainted!spacer.png

19 hours ago, boom.boom said:

Thank you @russ c, the photo is fantastic and i was not aware of its existence. Looking further on the web I came across a picture from another angle. It clearly shows that the NVAF marking is overpainted!spacer.png

Hi B.B.

Thanks for the photo, now all we need is to work out what the numbers on the tail are and a shot or two of the mortar set up.

Cheers Russ

17 hours ago, russ c said:

Hi B.B.

Thanks for the photo, now all we need is to work out what the numbers on the tail are and a shot or two of the mortar set up.

Cheers Russ

Just those few little things...🙄! What do you think @russ c, is it true that one plane was armed with a ub-16?

4 hours ago, boom.boom said:

Just those few little things...🙄! What do you think @russ c, is it true that one plane was armed with a ub-16?

Hi, I`ve really no idea. I came across the story of Lima Site 85 and started researching it with an eye to making one out of Hobby Boss 1/48 kit.

They were supposed to have been armed with rocket pods and a down firing mortar set up in the fuselage. I never found a definite answer to any searches or queries. a few none matching paintings, box top art, opinions, etc

In the end I gave up and just built it as a generic transport aircraft.

In the absence of any photo`s of the real thing prior to crashing, I suppose if you really wanted you could just do your own interpretation of one, as per paintings and box arts BUT then someone would find or post some actual photo`s and post them somewhere and you`d have to do another one🙂 

Good hunting

Cheers Russ