Revell 1/72 Handley Page Halifax B Mk II + Zvezda Hawker Hurricane Mk IIC

Hello all,

Well another build complete and this time it's Revells lovely Halifax released in 2011. Built using the kits scheme of an aircraft based at RAF Topcliffe with the Royal Canadian Air Force in July 1942.

Having previously completed their B Mk III kit, I was aware of various short comings with this tooling and set about correcting these. The AML resin update set was used for the spinners and air intakes, the exhausts and air vents on the sides of the engines are courtesy of Quickboost and while this doesn't solve the chunkiness of the nacelles, it improves the look. I opted to forgo the AML prop blades and instead made modifications to the kits paddle props to reduce the size of the tips. Lastly, the dorsal turret seemed to sit too high, so this was allowed to sit considerably lower. Only other aftermarket used was the obligatory Eduard mask set to make my life easier. The main wheels were also sanded to give the weight on effect.

Painted using Tamiya acrylics and weathered with a variety of washes and oils. I have yet to add any chipping and kept the weathering quite subtle compared to some of my other builds. it is pictured below alongside vehicles from the Airfix RAF Resupply set aswell as Zvezda's new tooled snap fit Hawker Hurricane MK.IIC built from the box to complement the scene (a very nice build aswell by the way...)

As with all my builds, I have tried to create a historically accurate representation of the real aircraft and the Haynes Halifax build manual was invaluable.

DSC-0537.jpg

DSC-0542.jpg

DSC-0546.jpg

DSC-0559.jpg

DSC-0567.jpg

DSC-0572.jpg

DSC-0575.jpg

DSC-0576.jpg

Edited by NavyWessex
  • Like 45
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NavyWessex said:

I'm not sure... It's from the Airfix RAF Resupply set...

That’ll do for me! Just thought it looked “modern” - as in, I used much the same stuff in the 70/80/90 years. I suppose if it works, why change it?

Still a cracking little scene.

• Like 1

It is a lovely kit to build and I used the AML parts to improve it, I have another to do plus a B.Mk.III in the future.

Great stuff, I like the Hurricane as well.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1