Photographic back drops.

Lightningboy2000

I've been using bright white A3 white card for for backdrops for my photography for so long now but trying to find a dedicated backdrop that's durable and maybe gradated & a bit larger.

What do other people use?

Most of the gradated backdrops on eBay are either too small or way too big.

Where's the best place to get something that's about a meter square?

Many thanks in advance!

Martin

I once looked for a gradated backdrop, and found that any, a size helpful for photographing models, are mahoosive, i.e. meant to be hung behind a person, used by a pro photographer, and/or very expensive.

You could use bright green (or any other bright colour) paper roll, and chroma key edit out the colour in Photoshop (or other similar app) and then add the gradient in...

Personally I don't bother with a gradated background and just use either black or white paper roll as my backgrounds.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

The graded backdrops are eye-poppingly expensive and often big.  I just use a calico backdrop that you can pick up from eBay, which I cut down and got someone who knows how to operate a sewing machine to put seams round and sew a piece of velcro to the top so I can hang it in my photobooth. :yes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

The graded backdrops are eye-poppingly expensive and often big.  I just use a calico backdrop that you can pick up from eBay, which I cut down and got someone who knows how to operate a sewing machine to put seams round and sew a piece of velcro to the top so I can hang it in my photobooth. :yes:

Thanks Mike, it looks like I'll have to do the same & end up cutting something down. Need to get something that can be rolled up without putting creases in it. Just cannot seem to see what I'm after on tudbay! The graded backdrops your seeing must be expensive because of the material they're made from I guess. Oh and I think I should have put this in the photography section! 😉

3 hours ago, RobL said:

I once looked for a gradated backdrop, and found that any, a size helpful for photographing models, are mahoosive, i.e. meant to be hung behind a person, used by a pro photographer, and/or very expensive.

You could use bright green (or any other bright colour) paper roll, and chroma key edit out the colour in Photoshop (or other similar app) and then add the gradient in...

Personally I don't bother with a gradated background and just use either black or white paper as my backgrounds.

Thanks RobL, I currently use A3 white Bristol board card as it's very bright but really need something that's a bit bigger than A1 but can be durable enough to roll up. Will try the local art shop or Dungelm.

Hobbycraft do paper rolls, 10m long 76cm wide, bigger than A1 - https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/white-poster-display-roll-76cm-x-10m/648510-1000

Had my rolls for about 4 years now.  Still in good shape, even the piece I cut off to actually use (which I roll up after use).  So I'd say they're durable.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 2

Interestingly enough, you can make some extremely realistic shots if you want to explore photography. I would explain it but I'll just link you to the original post by Tim Prosser on Facebook. I do believe he once published this tutorial in a magazine but not sure which one so this'll have to do. Well worth a look. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/scaleaircraft/posts/10165496588125576

I buy A1 sheets of light blue watercolour paper some of which I have cut into halves or quarters for smaller builds. I prop up the back of the paper and the ensuing curve ensures that there are no lines in the background:

Consolidated_B24J_Liberator_2021_GB_074.

Dave

• Like 1

Like Dave, I suggest that you buy some large paper if you really want a low-budget option. However, sheets might be bit more difficult to store without damage and they tend to incur more expensive shipping. You can buy a roll instead, such as this one at 76cm wide. Unfurl or cut off what you need and clip it to a homemade cardboard or foamboard backdrop, then roll it back up on the roll when you're finished. As it wears, cut a new bit. One roll should last a very long time if you take care of it. You may want to use a whibal card, though, because one reason why photo backdrop material is more expensive is because it's made to be completely neutral.

P.S. Credit to @RobL for mentioning paper rolls. I had somehow overlooked that. 😳

Edited by Ade H
P.S.
  • Like 1

I recently picked up a small Photobooth with LED lights from Amazon which cost around £37 and came with a handful of large single colour sheets for use as backdrops. They fit into an attachement at the top of the box when in use and the whole thing folds away into a box, a lot easier than fiddling with temporary backdrops I found.

• Like 1

That's good for your scale, Tim. 😉

I considered those, but I had to account for the size of models (I think my longest so far is about 50cm) plus some extra width to cover shots from different angles. My complete setup uses acrylic diffusing panels which I ordered to size, it all folds away flat in a minute, repurposes existing daylight lamps, and cost me about £15. See https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235098066-canadian-cmp-c15a-gs-truck/ for the results.

• Like 1

This thread has got me thinking. I've previously used poster sized images of scenes (countryside, seascapes etc) with a suitable base to give an attempt at 'realism' to my pictures. The North Sea usually looks like this doesn't it??

RPsMBePm.jpg

But I'm going to have a go at mixing that up a bit now. Think I'll start by having a look at one of those hobbycraft rolls suggested by @RobL

Mark

• Like 1

I'm just about to start building a HobbyBoss 1/72 Dora Railway Gun which is over a metre long when built. I think I will need to set up a yurt with floodlights to take the photos of it.

Dave

• Haha 2