Collect-Aire 1/48 YF2Y-1 Sea Dart Anyone up for Jet Skiing? FINISHED!

Yes the  boys at Convair were a bunch of wild and crazy guys. Just look at the XFY  Pogo. Try anything and throw it up on the wall and see if it sticks.

What shall we do today? "Let's take an F-102 and see if we can land it on water and take-off again...OK"

• Like 1

After re-scribing everything, it was easier before attaching the wings and whatnot. I drilled small pilot holes for tiny steel nails. I'll use these to hold the main parts all together. My brass rods are too small and frail and plastic rod would be to soft.

51561871553_42a1812f21_c.jpg

51562551135_208cdd959c_c.jpg

51562316499_397e150f8c_c.jpg

The fit is better than I expected. There are some pieces missing , but I'll be able to fix this without any problem.

• Like 6

I tried to open the by-pass ports on the intakes, but because the resin is super thin and translucent The openings wouldn't open without fracturing. 

51562551105_184ff6f4d3_c.jpg

So I'll just print new ones. Which isn't too bad, I can print them out when I do the After burner cans and the cockpit parts.

• Like 3

51561625096_61980aec60_c.jpg

The fit though not absolutely spot on, is better than I expected.  A few of the edges rounded on me but this I'll correct .Which I have to do anyway when I fill in around the wing joins.

51562442084_c4ce0fed17_c.jpg

Masking tape around the wings ,tail, and fuselage to cut down on the mess and keep me from obliterating the panel lines.

I'll let these dry then sand smooth then start adding parts and beginning the painting and masking process. I just got more 6mm masking tape in so I'm good to go.

• Like 11

Adding the Cockpit exterior. Sometimes the fit leaves much to be desired. A little bit of shrinkage in the ensuing quarter century. But no matter I'll fill with some spare rod then slather and sand away.

51566456299_2f14154360_c.jpg

51565766106_42dd95e6bb_c.jpg

Speaking of slathering and sanding.....

51565766116_d8678a77cb_c.jpg

Finally got everything all smoothed out and uniform.... Or so I thought.

• Like 13

A nice even coat of white primer.

51566456314_84be49183d_c.jpg

I'm using this instead of the usual gray because the next coat will be the yellow on the tail, wings and fuselage aft of the cockpit. Isn't it purdy? Unfortunately....

51566456319_e80f7e4eee_c.jpg

It's actually the pits! NO thats not dirt imbedded into the paint. but small, teenie, tiny little micro pits that I missed with the magnifying glass.

51566456339_cc8241d4ce_c.jpg

51566456354_ff32e93be8_c.jpg

I almost thought I was through sanding on this little project, unlike another BIG project taking up most of my workspace That I'm maybe a quarter of the way sanding and getting straight. But that's for another build thread That I must attend to, amongst other things.

But I will let this dry a day and skin the pits One. More. Time. :angry: Good thing is all are on the keel. But I have started laying down paint! The FUN now begins!:wall:

So until later guys, Stay safe, Stay Healthy, and Model ON!                 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Amazing work on turning this fine molding around! :worthy:

And you're convincing me I need a 3d printer...

Thanks! They definitely have their uses and can save ones behind on occasion.

Not too much of an update but painting has now commenced. Having fixed all the little pin holes(I hope) First order of business a little bit yellow. This will have to cure for a day or so. I want it good and dry so no paint decides to peel off once masked before applying the blue.

51566456314_84be49183d_c.jpg

51570043588_7f256459b4_c.jpg

51569002597_c72e263db8_c.jpg

Ahh masking, what I live for.. If I thought masking red, white, and blue stripes and scallops on an F-4 was bad.... welll me boyos, this will probably give me the shivers in the pale moonlight just thinking about it.

So until next time ... Model on!

• Like 11

Wow! Colourful. I’ve seen the blue one in San Diego but I didn’t realise that there was one with bright yellow plumage!

Drilling out the two jet engines was a risky move, but it looks like you got away with it. Looking forward to more paint!

Regards,

Adrian

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow! Colourful. I’ve seen the blue one in San Diego but I didn’t realise that there was one with bright yellow plumage!

Drilling out the two jet engines was a risky move, but it looks like you got away with it. Looking forward to more paint!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian! Believe me I sweated that drilling. I think had the rear been any thinner I don't think I could have done it without something cracking. Stay tuned for more. Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel!:ninja:

Hmm :hmmm: , "shivers in the pale moonlight" , there has to be a song for my band in that phrase. 🎵 Filling pin holes in resin or bashing out the next couple of hundred for a submarine; you pays your money and tales your choice! Good work Loren.

Musical of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 11:52 PM, Martian said:

And I just remembered that there is still an official seaplane trot in Poole Harbour. It might cause a bit of chaos getting people moved off of it but still...:hmmm:👽

say-what-new-rider.jpg

Gene K

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

say-what-new-rider.jpg

Gene K

I have often thought that it would be fun, if I had plenty of money, to charter a seaplane/flying boat and assert its legal right to land in Poole Harbour; just to see the chaos that would ensue, clearing the trot. :evil_laugh: I think the trot is a remnant of the multiple RAF, BOAC and FAA trots that existed during and just after the war.

Slightly Anarchic of Mars 👽

2 minutes ago, Martian said:

I have often thought that it would be fun, if I had plenty of money, to charter a seaplane/flying boat and assert its legal right to land in Poole Harbour; just to see the chaos that would ensue, clearing the trot. :evil_laugh: I think the trot is a remnant of the multiple RAF, BOAC and FAA trots that existed during and just after the war.

Slightly Anarchic of Mars 👽

Thats the Spirit Martian! Git them Hippies off the water!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Martian said:

...  the chaos that would ensue, clearing the trot.  

Being American ... a trot is what a horse does ... or what a human does after consuming too much spicy Mexican food. Google wasn't much help.

Gene

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Gene K said:

Being American ... a trot is what a horse does ... or what a human does after consuming too much spicy Mexican food. Google wasn't much help.

Gene

A trot is also a lane cleared for seaplane/flying boat operations. A sort of runway on the water if you will.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

@Martian thanks for the seaplane education.

@LorenSharp Really appreciating the skills you applied to this challenging kit!

Lest anyone get a bad impression of Collect-Aire -- the Sea Dart is one of the earlier (1995?) kits from Lou Maglio, Mr. Collect AIre.  He initially (1990?) used different pattern makers and European resin casters before settling in with a superb Russian around 1998 (or so) whose patterns were cast in the US.   The Russian-patterned kits are very good - one can check with Mr. Google, of course, but a good starting point for those interested in "researching" Collect AIre is here at Scalemates. Check out the superb builds by Fotios Rauch there!

Gene K

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gene. Collect-Aires Models , are really good, well designed, modeling subjects, The Sea Dart making the 3rd one I've assembled . I have probably another 6 sitting in the stash. Although there are probably another 6-7 I wish I had but because of scarcity and cost, I doubt I'll never get. But, if I had any qualms about the kits it would be the amount of pin holes. But that is a minor beef really. I've built other resin subjects that were far more "Holey" What I probably should have done before starting was Primed everything to detect where all issues are and can be dealt with early on. Overall ,with a little bit of care, they come out really well.

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

I have probably another 6 sitting in the stash. Although there are probably another 6-7 I wish I had but because of scarcity and cost,

Loren,

It's apparent from the Sea Dart that you are a Resin Master Builder.:selfie:

Unfortunately, it turns out that I'm a Resin Master Collector, my Collect-AIre stash being 17, mainly those patterned by the Russian. Pin holes in the newer resin aren't a factor, but thin pieces like wing strakes are fragile. In that regard, after your post I whiffed the Russian's FJ-3 Fury (the one that Kitty Hawk "referenced" for their kit), and both my kits are blemish free, one in the old dark resin, and the other in the more pleasing light tan.

Sorry to stray off topic.

Gene K

• Like 1

I don't know that I'm a resin "Master" I'm still working out trying to build a good model that was manufactured in resin.. Strake s and thin pieces do the same with me most are either chipped or broken off entirely. One thing I've noticed also with the Darker Tan/ochre resin kits, when you start sanding or grinding the resin down, the resin has the strong odor of Naphtha or more precisely Moth balls.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here we are many weeks later. After several trys and as many re-dos I got a paint job  that's almost satisfactory. 

51780581125_12f7914734_c.jpg

51780581170_ac65fb3e31_c.jpg

I did finally get some 2 and 3 mm masking tape that helped a lot  in being able to do the maddingly complex paint job over a bunch of compound curves. After the headache of a build with a Bicentennial F-4 I did I SWORE I wouldn't do any more complex paint jobs. So what did I do? Complex paint job of course. In my defense, I figured 2 colours would be easier than 3 colours. And the only white would be a base coat for the yellow. Still a son-of-a-gun to mask, AND keep the tape from curling up.

51779945168_f1cf39fb80_c.jpg

One thing that helped this time I think was applying several misting coats and allowing them to settle a bit before continuing.

51780581150_2a08b342d5_c.jpg

51780337949_a416d1f6db_c.jpg

If you're wondering it took about as long to remove the masking tape as it was to apply.

There are a few spots on the Flaperons and on the "Spider web" pattern over the intakes that will need attending to but first I'll let this dry completely and give it a clear gloss varnish to at least protect what I have done. Then see if I can find my bottle of Flat White  to do a touch up base. I'm hoping to finish this off before the New Year....Maybe. So stay tuned for more.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Wow! Amazing work! And the paintjob too! Well done! 👏

May I please ask what did you do for those tiny holes/bubbles in the resin? Did you use some liquid filler? I have the same problem with a resin kit and I can't find a cure for it yet.

Thanks!