Collect-Aire 1/48 YF2Y-1 Sea Dart Anyone up for Jet Skiing? FINISHED!

Well after just finishing a VERY loud paint job on an F-4 Phantom in the F-4Phantom STGB, to which I stated I would NOT do another Paint job like that for another 40 years, 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count, What did I come up with for another build? Yep another Loudly Painted Aircraft. Man ,time flies when you're having fun. I must be 105 now.(only when I  try to get out of bed in the morning.:clif:) Namely  an YF2Y-1 Sea Dart. It's not red, white, and blue ,true, but blue and bright yellow will be a challenge in itself. Here we go again.

51550223354_5002c7d0f6_c.jpg

51549487431_0724a10a0b_c.jpg

All kinds of resin parts...

51550202699_6c6e64556f_c.jpg

Some in not so great a shape

51549487401_be8312e601_c.jpg

and its got goodies... well sort of...

51550401340_6f63197090_c.jpg

So whats say we party build like its 2061. 

Of course,  comments, suggestions or ideas are welcome, even those that allude to my lack of sanity:fool:

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

One thing for sure... this is one SOLID piece of resin.

51549718658_f9148bec8d_c.jpg

There is some damaged parts, mostly chipped off strakes, not a biggy,

51550402640_c66f54ce80_c.jpg

51549718688_bce89f2f9a_c.jpg

And the usual pot holes, pin holes in the resin. that will need to be tended to,

51550203844_4b381733fd_c.jpg

51550203809_8f5168f9bc_c.jpg

51548684987_aa704fdacd_c.jpg

This won't be difficult, right? Somebody humour me... please:wall:

I don't forsee printing much on this but its hard to tell at this point. the broken pieces will be card. printed resin will do much the same as 2 part, be fragile and break.

I would like to drop the flaps, or in this case flaperons (?) Panel lines will need augmenting and grinding off various gate stubs.

And with the skies deployed, I will need to strengthen their attachments because of it massive weight. The main fuselage body is a good 500-750 g.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Now this looks interesting. You got my attention, front row seat I hope...

Colin

Front and Center Colin, Welcome aboard!

9 minutes ago, billn53 said:

I’m sure this will be an interesting build, and I’m looking forward to following it. But that paint scheme! Where are my sunglasses?

Might need welding goggles Bill.😎 Welcome aboard!

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Shame about the fin/strakes but maybe better replaced with brass shim.

Colin

I may try that Colin, I have some brass sheet stock, not sure of thickness but it may work. Thanks

Well not wanting to dilly-dally around, and not one to leave well enough alone. I noticed upon inspection, no real openings for the exhaust, reheat/afterburner area. What to do, what to do...

When in doubt, break out the drill. first we'll open the shroud a the end and see what happens.

51550183653_497c95530a_c.jpg

First side worked drilling holes around the interior circumference then playing connect the dots and sanding it down smooth on the inside.

Then I'll used that part to mark the area to drill out.  The plan is to drill out then I;'ll print out flame holders and inside of the nozzle. 

I'll have to find my drill and hope I have a bit large enough to do the job in one go. though solid I dont want to risk any fracturing with mucking around with a smaller bit.

So while go get my drill, I'll cover up the various pin holes on the fuselage and wings

51550663394_0139e0d955_c.jpg

51550183623_e87140d351_c.jpg

I did at the same time mark out for the pin placement for the wings and tail.

51550183588_e9448c1d73_c.jpg

I'll let these dry. Talk amongst yourselves while I dig my drill out of the  shed.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Excellent subject, didn't know anyone made a kit

They haven't for probably 25 years Neil. at least in 1/48 scale. I think Mach2 made a 1/72 scale at one time but Collect Aire was the only place you could get 1/48 And they went out of business about 10 years ago

Collect-Aire 1/48 YF2Y-1 Sea Dart Anyone up for Jet Skiing?

Jet skiing? Jet skiing? JET SKIING? Kill, maim, burn the heretic/rider! What you meant the aircraft? Sorry, as you were. Carry on.

Captain Insanity Ahab (aka Martian) 👽

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

But just think of it Martian, The pure joy of asailling the the miscreant offenders of the sea in such a craft. I boggles the Mind!

Good point! I shall place a request for a couple from our Head of Unit right away!

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

This would be the ultimate Jetski! Whatever it lacks in maneuverability, it surely makes up in speed and airtime.

12 minutes ago, Martian said:

Good point! I shall place a request for a couple from our Head of Unit right away!

Martian 👽

But wait... There's More! You will have the ability to annoy and irritate EVERY obnoxious boater on the water. Want to get even..... pull up alongside, smile... be sure to smile... It really irritates them...Hit the afterburner and cut it hard a port.

Jets skis, rooster tails and flailing bodies for all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well as a final post for the evening, I did manage to drill out for the flame holders and afterburner/reheat pipes.

51550861765_4ff41a73b2_c.jpg

Using the exhaust shroud as a templet I marked where I wanted to drill my holes.

51551986105_7e7eefccd9_c.jpg

I  didn't have a 1/2" drill bit but instead drilled a pilot hole then used a 1/2" wood bit and SLOWLY drilled so as to not cause the resin to chip or worse fracture. which is what I was most afraid of happening.

But thankfully it all worked. Scary , ain't it?

• Like 10

Having accomplished this feat of derring do , I went a step further and and sweating evry step of the way, cut the rudder and elevons/flapperons away from their respective hosts.

51551076256_ddbc7c19cf_c.jpg

51551986460_d401e959d6_c.jpg

Then followed that with re-scribing the panel lines. They were very fine to begin with but would disappear if any paint was added. Luckily, not many lines.

51550277497_b90b3390ca_c.jpg

So there you have it. Tomorrow I'll work on the cans and make a new bang seat as well. the kit comes with a metal seat but the detail is tepid at best. This can be improved. 

So tomorrow, Same bat time, same bat channel be here Aloha!:pilot:

• Like 13

A very interesting project, it's a pity the idea didn't work but then the British attempt at a fighter seaplane also failed.  I have a few photos of the Convair Sea Dart that is at the Florida Air Museum (Sun 'n Fun, lakeland Linder Regional Airport)  I'll be watching with interest. :popcorn:

IMG_0562

IMG_0561

IMG_0551

• Like 11

Wow! Sitting at the bar and watching the fun and frivolity! Pretty ambitious project, and you weren't kidding- those are some serious chunks of resin!

Check out the footage of some  test flights, and note the details of the canopy interior. - I can only imagine the corrosion and how it must have played havoc with the electrical and electronic systems! 

Mike

https://youtu.be/v4dI9mVDI3E

Rather long, but worth the time!

https://youtu.be/Z7DcqfFpb4Y

Walkaround, which you probably have, but may be of interest to others.

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/convair-f2y-sea-dart/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

But wait... There's More! You will have the ability to annoy and irritate EVERY obnoxious boater on the water. Want to get even..... pull up alongside, smile... be sure to smile... It really irritates them...Hit the afterburner and cut it hard a port.

Jets skis, rooster tails and flailing bodies for all.

And I just remembered that there is still an official seaplane trot in Poole Harbour. It might cause a bit of chaos getting people moved off of it but still...:hmmm:

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

I saw one of these babies hanging from the ceiling in a San Diego museum a long, long time ago. I thought it was a crazy idea then - almost as crazy as building this hunka-hunka resin kit. But I applaud you, as I love crazy subjects for models. And I like resin dust clinging to my nose hairs. So it's a win-win.

Besides, most of this baby is FS15042, which is one of my favourite colours (to appease my fellow Britmodellers it's not quite as nice as EDSG). So carry on! And don't worry about those yellow stripes - they add character.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1