Kit identification of TINY WW2 warbirds.

Richb77

Hi all.

I am trying (and failing) to recolect and source some "kits" i had as a yougster throughout the 80s and early 90s.

I recall several versions available but i only ever bought the Hawker hurricane and Supermarine Spitfire (both early marks). They came in a slim small box about 75mm square and 15mm thick (all *ish)..i cant recall the brand but the build planes where small. I mean maybe 1:200+

I used to paint mine up and use them as strategic board game like positioning play.

The nearest thing i can find on scalemates is the Kellogs models but these where bought from bargain shops at the coast etc.

Anyone else recall these small fighters or have a clue what i am going on about?

The Revell kits are re-released Crown.  They came out under the Revell name in the early 1970s: I don't know whether they were continuously available in the 80s and 90s.  Having been a keen board wargamer at this time, I would have thought these were too large for use on the board.  I would also term 1/144 small but not tiny - I gather other modellers have a different view!

There were however a wide range of small (tiny) scale models produced for wargamers, and it is quite possible (even likely) that they produced aircraft to go with their tanks.  These are likely to have been very  simple kits, if kits at all.  If these are what is being remembered, it might be better to ask on wargaming or military modelling sites.

2 hours ago, Richb77 said:

I am trying (and failing) to recolect and source some "kits" i had as a yougster throughout the 80s and early 90s.

try looking on ebay, if they were 1 piece metal, something like 'Hurricane diecast'  in Toys and Games,   maybe a complete listings search,  as that may then turn up details if you can spot one of these in a listing, and then with a name, you could search up more information.

HTH

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The Revell kits are re-released Crown.  They came out under the Revell name in the early 1970s: I don't know whether they were continuously available in the 80s and 90s.  Having been a keen board wargamer at this time, I would have thought these were too large for use on the board.  I would also term 1/144 small but not tiny - I gather other modellers have a different view!

There were however a wide range of small (tiny) scale models produced for wargamers, and it is quite possible (even likely) that they produced aircraft to go with their tanks.  These are likely to have been very  simple kits, if kits at all.  If these are what is being remembered, it might be better to ask on wargaming or military modelling sites.

I think the 70s Revell kits are their own, mostly being based on their H-600 kits for the "western" types - not so for the scarce Japanese types (that apparently were tooled in Japan). Early/mid 80s B-17, B-24, 25, 26, Lancaster and jets are Crown. The Revell (their own) became available again sometime in the mid 90s - @Richard Humm will likely have dates.

Were those you look for @Richb77kits or ready mades? The Bachmann Miniplanes - also sold by Airfix for some time - came in square boxes, but were finished, and I don't think the Bachmann's were available beyond the early 80s.

4 hours ago, Richb77 said:

Anyone else recall these small fighters or have a clue what i am going on about?

I remember building similar back in the 80s, or thereabouts.  I found one of them (a Tempest - somewhat the worse for wear) recently while we were clearing out my mum's house.  

h3rRdWU.jpg

eiTNFyt.jpg

Wingspan is about 8cm, not sure whether that makes it 1/144 or not(?)  I also remember building an He111 and a Hurricane, but those were nowhere to be found, unfurtunately.

• Like 1

• Julien changed the title to Kit identification of TINY WW2 warbirds.
3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There were definitely some aircraft produced to accompany a range of 1/200 WW2 military vehicles/artillery/figures around 1990. I had a couple of Fw 190s and a Ju 87G. As far as I can remember they both had separate undercarriages (optional in the case of the 190) and the Ju 87 needed to have its 37mm cannon attached. I'm not sure of the manufacturer but possibly it was Skytrex.

Skytrex definitely did some aircraft, they were reviewed in Scale Models in the early seventies and I remember seeing in them in a shop in Nottingham that Skytrex used as a retail outlet. 

20 hours ago, Richb77 said:

Hi all.

I recall several versions available but i only ever bought the Hawker hurricane and Supermarine Spitfire (both early marks). They came in a slim small box about 75mm square and 15mm thick (all *ish)..i cant recall the brand but the build planes where small. I mean maybe 1:200+

I used to paint mine up and use them as strategic board game like positioning play.

The nearest thing i can find on scalemates is the Kellogs models but these where bought from bargain shops at the coast etc.

Rings bells. I seem to remember that the company (Eaglewall?) that made those very small warship kits around 1/1200 or 1/1500 scale? also did aircraft at a small scale. This would have been in the 50's very early 60's, real pocket money stuff. I used to get them at the newsagents or a small shop near by in Warley, Birmingham that sold all sorts.  Any help?

Eagle, also known as Eaglewall, did a lot of ships in 1/1200, but their nine aircraft were all in 1/96, IIRC.  The ships were sold all over the place, down to small newsagents in pit villages, but the aircraft didn't reach as far.

I also had a Spitfire under the Vulcan label, which apparently was the same tooling as the Eagle: I don't know whether the rest of the range was the same.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AWFK10 said:

There were definitely some aircraft produced to accompany a range of 1/200 WW2 military vehicles/artillery/figures around 1990. I had a couple of Fw 190s and a Ju 87G. As far as I can remember they both had separate undercarriages (optional in the case of the 190) and the Ju 87 needed to have its 37mm cannon attached. I'm not sure of the manufacturer but possibly it was Skytrex.

13 hours ago, Mr T said:

Skytrex definitely did some aircraft, they were reviewed in Scale Models in the early seventies and I remember seeing in them in a shop in Nottingham that Skytrex used as a retail outlet. 

I have a bunch of Skytrex kits, all 1/144 white metal WW1 subjects. Few parts, but definitely (crude) kits, with generic transfers. Never seen subjects from another period by them, but that could just be my particular tunnel vision.

Paul.

I think those may be some of the kits that Mr T has mentioned. Military Modelling magazine ran a series of articles on WW1 aerial wargaming in the early 1970s and I've a feeling that those Skytrex WW1 aircraft were around then. A bit of googling has confirmed that, much later, Skytrex did pioneer 1/200 scale wargaming minatures as a compromise between 1/300 scale micro armour and 1/76 or 1/72 tanks. It turns out that they're still in business and still make 1/200 aircraft, including the two I had. Thinking about it, though, I don't believe they came in a box so although the range does include the Mk 1 Spitfire and Hurricane it doesn't seem to be what Richb is remembering.

Incidentally, as a youngster I had all four of those Dinky aeroplanes and the Hurricane, at least, was available in kit form - which was how I bought mine. The parts were unpainted and you had to screw them together.

2 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

I think those may be some of the kits that Mr T has mentioned. Military Modelling magazine ran a series of articles on WW1 aerial wargaming in the early 1970s and I've a feeling that those Skytrex WW1 aircraft were around then. A bit of googling has confirmed that, much later, Skytrex did pioneer 1/200 scale wargaming minatures as a compromise between 1/300 scale micro armour and 1/76 or 1/72 tanks. It turns out that they're still in business and still make 1/200 aircraft, including the two I had. Thinking about it, though, I don't believe they came in a box so although the range does include the Mk 1 Spitfire and Hurricane it doesn't seem to be what Richb is remembering.

Incidentally, as a youngster I had all four of those Dinky aeroplanes and the Hurricane, at least, was available in kit form - which was how I bought mine. The parts were unpainted and you had to screw them together.

FWIW the Skytrexes I have are mostly in bags, but one is in a box (Bristol Fighter).

Paul.

I remember a series of kits (maybe 1/100 or smaller?)  that came in a package similar to an oversized matchbook. I think the company was called Eldon. They were inexpensive and available in drug stores and department stores in Canada in the early 1970s. I think it was quite an extensive range, from the First World War to an X-15. 

Richard

In the UK Eldon Match were responsible for the hideous close copies of the Revell WW1 kits in 1/72nd, reboxed by 5 or 6 companies, currently available (if you have to throw your money away) from Italeri.  But if they did other eras and scales, they passed me by. (Easy enough to do).

Anyway, it used to be that if it was a plastic WWII kit in 1/144, the chances were that the originator would have been Crown, reboxed confusingly ever since, especially confusing since Revell did their own 1/144 kits as well as reboxing Crown plastic.

I recall there was (is?) a company which arose in the eighties making 1/200th or smaller aircraft models but never saw one. IIRC there were reviews in SAM so maybe it was early nineties. Very annoying, can't remember any details although I remember the act of reading about them.

Paul.

20 minutes ago, RZP said:

I remember a series of kits (maybe 1/100 or smaller?)  that came in a package similar to an oversized matchbook. I think the company was called Eldon. They were inexpensive and available in drug stores and department stores in Canada in the early 1970s. I think it was quite an extensive range, from the First World War to an X-15. 

Richard

22 hours ago, JackG said:

Maybe a brand called 'Dinky Toys". but these were die cast metal.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/collections-display/dinky-spitfire-719-a-678967/

1a385d83-5a20-4a4c-94ba-509bf0d0beea.jpg

regards,

Jack

Button on the side of the Stuka would drop a very weighty bomb - loads of surprise attacks on Matchbox kits in my backyard by my Stuka!!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, RZP said:

Richard

Those Eldon MatchKits were by Marusan, though apparently The Revell copies @Paul Thompson mentions were never sold as such - Nichimo, Fuji, Sunny, Esci, probably Entex in between. But I guess they are too early to be the ones concerned here.

I do remember something like this in the UK - would have been late 1970s or very early 1980s. I think they were 1/144 and the ones I remember included a little gelatine capsule of polystyrene cement. I can't remember the brand though, sorry. As I remember they were sold in little local 'corner shops' rather than bigger stores.

5 hours ago, djktrumpet said:

I do remember something like this in the UK - would have been late 1970s or very early 1980s. I think they were 1/144 and the ones I remember included a little gelatine capsule of polystyrene cement. I can't remember the brand though, sorry. As I remember they were sold in little local 'corner shops' rather than bigger stores.

the only brand I recall having that little capsule included was Heller, and they did a range of 1/100 scale kits

There was Dennis Knight's 1/350 scale series of plastic aircraft released in 1975 under the Helmet Products label, initially of Battle of Britain types. He wrote an article in Scale Aircraft Modelling Volume 5 Number 1 (October 1982) describing the then range and discussing conversions from them. They were sold in sets of four to twelve aircraft (dependin on size) in "a crush-proof pocket case". I remember seeing ads for them for some years after the article.

djktrumpet - That sounds like the Revell range discussed above, especailly if they were in square orange boxes. They were the last British kits I remember having cement capsules.

tempestfan - Have you got any evidence for the Eldon kits being Marusan? Brad Hansen doesn't mention a Marusan issue in his book. The Revell minikits were reissued in 1992 and were in catalogue for two or three years.

6 hours ago, djktrumpet said:

this was the Revell box from the mid 70's to early 80's

1029902-27767-29-pristine.jpg

There were 12 usually available,  well, that's what I saw round here. 

UK - Hurricane, Spitfire I, Typhoon, Tempest V (that's your kit @Werdna)

German - Be109E, Fw190A-3, Me262, Ju87B

US - P51B, P-47D, F6F, F4U-1

the other that I didn't see then, 

P-39, P40E, SBD Dauntless, F4F Wildcat, but are illustrated on Scalemates.

These all got reissued in 2012,  I picked up some cheap. 

As @Graham Boak mentions, there were Japanese types done as well.  

Some were scale downs of the 1/72nd Revell kits,  as such the Hurricane is awful, but I built a few a long time ago.... 

• Like 1