Revell 1/72 B-1b

PhantomBigStu

37 minutes ago, f111guru said:

Try this for starters and check any online store that carries this product.

http://barracudacals.com/products.php?cat=15

The 1/48th scale conversions are far and few between. Good Luck

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

ah had purchased that set for the canopy masks and lost the DAS masks 😬

If you look on the second page of that link, you will see various resin sets to up date the kit.  It then comes down to what is relevant for the model you are going to build - all are relevant to some extent - and what you can live without if you don't have unlimited funds - they were all available at Hannants last time I looked but come to over £100 if you go for them all. I am not aware of any upgrade sets apart from these and I have been keeping a watch for some time now.

Paul

13 minutes ago, vildebeest said:

If you look on the second page of that link, you will see various resin sets to up date the kit.  It then comes down to what is relevant for the model you are going to build - all are relevant to some extent - and what you can live without if you don't have unlimited funds - they were all available at Hannants last time I looked but come to over £100 if you go for them all. I am not aware of any upgrade sets apart from these and I have been keeping a watch for some time now.

Paul

Funds are limited and indeed the kit is at the post decals stage, looks like I’ve got quite a bit of scratch building to do 

Hi PhantomBigStu,

As mentioned, those B-1B resin accessories are a bit costly but, if you want an accurate model, you will need them!  It will also require extensive amounts of effort to put everything together to achieve the final results.  A Dremel grinding/cutting tool will definitely come in handy!

I ended-up purchasing all the mods except for their wheels and wing gloves.  It means that I now have a kit that I purchased in the 80's for less than $30.00 that is now well over $100.00!

Cheers,

WARDOG

Edited by WARDOG
Corrections

Well I can't find any pics of the underside of the one I'm doing, and the only pic of one in the camo I have found doesn't seem to have any of the pods from the baracuda sets. Maybe I can get away with leaving it as it is/ 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Thanks for all, looks like I have an inaccurate model anyway as I’ve not modified the nose tail and got the kit exhausts and as I’ve not been able to find any pics of from the period apart from the pic I mentioned earlier which I’ve now found was on the cover of an Air Force mag in 89 the year before mine I’ve concluded I won’t be adding any sensor fit to the underside and will finish it as it is now aside from adding the nose pitots, AoA sensors etc.

Edited by PhantomBigStu

On 10/6/2021 at 6:15 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks for all, looks like I have an inaccurate model anyway as I’ve not modified the nose tail and got the kit exhausts and as I’ve not been able to find any pics of from the period apart from the pic I mentioned earlier which I’ve now found was on the cover of an Air Force mag in 89 the year before mine I’ve concluded I won’t be adding any sensor fit to the underside and will finish it as it is now aside from adding the nose pitots, AoA sensors etc.

Don't despair too greatly, if your target was a B-1B circa 1990 then quite a few of the Barracuda updates would not have been applied yet - most notably, at that time the "turkey feathers" had not been removed from the exhaust nozzles, so the kit items are actually closer for your subject than the "featherless" versions in the aftermarket set.  The changeover seems to have occurred around the same time the Bones switched from the 3-tone "strategic" green & gray camouflage to overall FS36118 gray (circa mid-1990s), so odds are if the plane you're building has the multicolor camo it's also got the early exhausts.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...