Le Mans 1940

A quick one-day build of a Tamiya Bf. 109E-3 turned into a weekend build of this little 1/72 scale vignette...

spacer.png

As mentioned before, the Messerschmitt is by Tamiya, built largely out of the box with a few added details. It is finished and marked to represent an aircraft of 4./JG 52 during the spring 1940 Battle of France. To this I added a little NSU motorcycle, which came as a "bonus" in an as yet unbuilt 1/72 Sherman tank model. It was finished in Graublau. The scenery is made up of leftovers from a model railroad layout that I built for my son last year. Most of the things used were from Woodland Scenics, but a few other flocks and foams might have fallen into the pot. All of this was assembled onto a Masonite base that fit inside a 6"x8"x6" display case, sold by the local arts and crafts shop as for a "collectible mini helmet" whatever that is...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...the signs were made on the computer and printed on my inkjet. Since I couldn't find a poster for the cancelled 1940 running of the 24 Hours at Lemans, I scaled down an image of the 1939 edition and printed it.

I still may add a detail here and there, but as this was my first proper diorama, I'm satisfied with the "less is more" going on here. Now on to bigger (or smaller) and better things.

Edited by RainierHooker
Grammar and spelling
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Is that in a fish tank? If it is, that's a brilliant idea. The models and diorama look great. Well done.

Thanks. The case is a 6”x8”x6” plastic piece for displaying “mini helmets” which I didn’t know were a thing.

spacer.png

I stumbled onto the cases at a local art shop on sale for under $10. I think I found a good use for them…

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RainierHooker said:

Thanks. The case is a 6”x8”x6” plastic piece for displaying “mini helmets” which I didn’t know were a thing.

spacer.png

I stumbled onto the cases at a local art shop on sale for under $10. I think I found a good use for them…

Pity, I doubt I will find them over here. Good find for our American friends though.

• 1 month later...

Nice build!

On 04/10/2021 at 07:43, Tim R-T-C said:

Came in for a motorsports diorama, stayed for a beautifully presented vignette.

That post opening photo is particularly well presented and really shows off the benefits of modelling in smaller scale.

Same

On 15/10/2021 at 19:55, Bertie Psmith said:

Pity, I doubt I will find them over here. Good find for our American friends though.

Just did a quick search and you can find transparent plastic cases of all size and shapes for cheap at Aliexpress.

• Thanks 2