iRCbuDP.jpg

r6A4aqi.jpg

TD0BySg.jpg

U3XmiNQ.jpg

lYZEI4K.jpg

R4IfjfA.jpg

macxyhC.jpg

wgBNh01.jpg

Not a straightforward build it has to be said. Fit issues getting the leading edge of the wing together inboard of the engines - I put both engines into place - I think that the installed engne detail is simply too tall and knocks the fit way out. Other than that it wasn't too bad, details are a little soft but we're sort of used to that from (new) Airfix. 

The blue was mixed by eye and sprayed onto the primer then masked using the vinyl masks that FCM give you with the decal set (and Tamiya tape for the fuselage band & wing-tips). I tested five different 'silvers' and of them all Tamiya enamel X11 was the best (but not by much) with almost no grain and great coverage, so I applied three light coats over a unifying coat of good ol' Xtracolour enamel EDSG - really pleased with the final finish. I left everything to cure for about a week before spraying two medium coats of Humbrol Gloss Cote (sic) then decals, a lightish Flory wash to bring out the panel lines but not too stark - I hate really dark PLW, makes your model look like a flying diagram !. All finished this weekend with a light misted coat of Humbrol Satin.

That's all to say - the FCM decals are a joy to use, airfix decals are beautifully printed too. The Eduard set was really only needed to dress-up the seat and the IP, and that's fine. Overall a 7.5 out of 10 for this one, IMHO. No plans on building another but really looking forward to the Vampire and a Chipmunk or two... As ever comments questions and criticisms are welcome.

Best from NZ.

Ian.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 30

Fantastic build! Very inspiring! I have one of those just started, but it's still a long way to go until it's done.

On a smaller note, you may want to correct the name of the Brazilian AF air base, which is Santa Cruz ("Holy Cross"). 

Cheers, Ivan

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IvanP said:

Fantastic build! Very inspiring! I have one of those just started, but it's still a long way to go until it's done.

On a smaller note, you may want to correct the name of the Brazilian AF air base, which is Santa Cruz ("Holy Cross"). 

Cheers, Ivan

Ha ! - going to blame poor eyesight and fat fingers ! - All corrected now. Tried to get a squadron patch for this unit (to go onto the base) but couldn't even find one on eBay... pity. Glad you like it, Ivan.

Ian.

• Thanks 1