'Patience' - Revell 1/48 F-105G Thunderchief

My second Republic F-105G Thunderchief build of this year, the Revell 2007 issue of the classic 1/48th Monogram kit that dates back to 1982. She is F-105G 63-8336 'Patience' coded 'JB' operated by the 17th WWS / 338th TFW out of Korat Air Base in Thailand, January 1973. She is built OOB and uses one of the kit's five decal options and I am happy with the final result 😎

51547340579_d93e704a99_b.jpgxIMGP4303 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The old Monogram 'Century Series' model kits were a breath of fresh air in their time and, apart from raised panel lines (which don't bother me), they still hold well today. The fit is mostly superb, for example I built and painted the wings as complete units and added them to the fuselage very late in the build and no filler was needed.

51547538595_35a4e4e15c_b.jpgxIMGP4306 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Painting was by airbrush using the Hataka acrylic USAF Paint Set (Vietnam War Era). Initially it went on well but I had major problems with a clogged airbrush and thinning issues. In the end I changed to Vallejo acrylics and a medium airbrush nozzle and the issue was solved. However the model did sit on the shelf-of-shame for quite a while! The paint was finished with an application of Humbrol Acrylic Satin varnish.

51547340889_16e0e776d3_b.jpgxIMGP4308 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The decals are entirely from the kit and Revell really excelled themselves with this issue, with five different options from 1970 to 1980. I chose 'Patience' because I liked the artwork and that she actively served in the Vietnam War. The amount of detail was amazing with up to 228 decals on the one sheet. The decals went on generally ok but decal solution helped them to adhere properly and avoid silvering.

51546857978_e940dfce1b_b.jpgxIMGP4312 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I tried not to overdo the weathering. I made a homemade wash using dark grey acrylic paint and thinners on the few recessed panels lines on the kit. I also used a set of Tamiya weathering powders to simulate hydraulic oil leaks as well as soot. I am still finding my way on this though.

51546614801_3ee1ef429e_b.jpgxIMGP4316 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Detailed armament - one AGM-78 Standard ARM and two AGM-75 Shrike ARM. The decals were from the spares box.

51547340709_8dcf65f0dc_b.jpgxIMGP4318 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Detail photo of the rear fuselage and tail fin. I used Lifecolor metallics for the jet exhaust areas and inside the undercarriage doors.

51547340759_7cc647cb71_b.jpgxIMGP4317 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

A top view showing the SEA paint scheme and some weathering.

51545816132_1fc459b82a_b.jpgxIMGP4320 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

My final photo, the F-105G has joined her sister on the display shelf 👍

Michael

51545815997_57974af740_b.jpgxIMGP4322 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

• Like 37

Great looking G model. Always liked the monogram 105 series. Had a hobby shop in Clovis NM in the early 90's. Displayed a series of F-105's and A-6's and B-1B that Monogram produced. Went to the store one morning and found them buried under soaked ceiling tiles. The birds had clogged up the roof drains. Water backed up and the roof collapsed. So ended my hobby shop.

Good looking display. !st FW is it a Monogram F-15C?

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Great looking F-105G. Did you replace the main landing gear struts with aftermarket items? The kit ones, as I recall, weren't very strong and tended bend when the model was set on a table.

Edited by SAT69
Mistyped
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, f111guru said:

Great looking G model. Always liked the monogram 105 series. Had a hobby shop in Clovis NM in the early 90's. Displayed a series of F-105's and A-6's and B-1B that Monogram produced. Went to the store one morning and found them buried under soaked ceiling tiles. The birds had clogged up the roof drains. Water backed up and the roof collapsed. So ended my hobby shop.

Good looking display. !st FW is it a Monogram F-15C?

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks Ron 👍 Sad story about the local hobby shop 😥

The 'FF' F-15A in the background is from the original Monogram F-15A kit before they modified it to have 'turkey feathers'.

Michael

50246942113_d59aba11da_b.jpg20200819_141449 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Great look F-105G. Did you replace the main landing gear struts with aftermarket items? The kit ones, as I recall, weren't very strong and tended bend when the model was set on a table.

No, I used the kit main landing gear struts and you are quite correct, they do bend and the model wobbles around quite a bit. I have a couple more of these kits in the stash and aftermarket MLG struts would be high on my 'must have' list. The finished model is quite heavy.

Michael

4 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Thanks Ron 👍 Sad story about the local hobby shop 😥

The 'FF' F-15A in the background is from the original Monogram F-15A kit before they modified it to have 'turkey feathers'.

Michael

50246942113_d59aba11da_b.jpg20200819_141449 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Same here. I have a few D and G kits in the stash. I do plan on rebuilding those that were destroyed.  Also have a number of early Monogram F-15's and a few E kits. I also have a couple of the issue of the F-111A kit Monogram release some years back. All in due time.

Your kit builds look fantastic.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

She is F-105G 63-8336 'Patience' coded 'JB' operated by the 17th WWS / 338th TFW out of Korat Air Base in Thailand, January 1973.

Here she is/was when I shot her at Dobbins ANGB in October 1980, departing early in the morning. I'd trekked out to the runway with my mate John and the "last chance" chaps.

38336a

Martin

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Here she is/was when I shot her at Dobbins ANGB in October 1980, departing early in the morning. I'd trekked out to the runway with my mate John and the "last chance" chaps.

38336a

Martin

Thanks Martin, I am delighted to learn that 336 went on to serve with the 116th TFW and the photo is much appreciated 👍

Michael

Hello Ghost,

Monogram has always been and still is one of my favorite model company's.

Your F-105 shows that refined design. Like no filler needed on the wing roots.

My compliments.

Regards,

Orion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Ghost,

Monogram has always been and still is one of my favorite model company's.

Your F-105 shows that refined design. Like no filler needed on the wing roots.

My compliments.

Regards,

Orion.

While I'm not a 1/48 modeller I will always appreciate a Thud model and Michael's is no exception. It's a great build and a great subject. However, regarding the Monogram I disagree. My big area of discomfort is the shallow windscreen. On models this is probably were most people initially focus and - for me - this is where the Mongoram kit of the Thud falls down. The one/two canopies might, therefore, also be shallow. Havig said that, I have built a few Trumpers and they have issues too! Hey ho!!

Happy modelling :)

Martin

• Like 1

As others have stated here, she's a real tribute to your building and painting skills, my friend. Thanks for sharing with us. 

If there was ever an aircraft which really suited having a big sharksmouth painted on it, it had to be the F-105. 

Cheers.

Chris.   

• Like 1