Ukraine Digital Fencer

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Sooooo.... would it be safe to say it's no longer on the shelf of doom? :P

:goodjob:

Indeed, it managed to escape! They should rename it the shelf of embarrassment! Still stuff that's been on there over four years! 🤣 HMS Belfast is sinking under a sea of dust! 

On 10/5/2021 at 1:38 PM, Val_Ukraine said:

Fantastic job! You managed to capture this complex digital camouflage perfectly! My congrats, sir!

On 10/5/2021 at 7:08 PM, Vultures1 said:

Wow, that is very impressive work and a stunning digital scheme - well done!

Many thanks chaps, much appreciated! It worked out in the end! In actual fact it was very therapeutic work! 

Val, the other very good reason for doing this is that I have a soft spot for Ukraine, aviation & music. There's a lot to be admired about your country!

• Like 1

Martin……….if I did anything a fraction as nice as you have with this Fencer, I would retire from the hobby altogether.  I can see why you would need a break from further “digital camouflage” projects.  Outstanding Fencer!!!!!! :worthy:

Mike

• Like 1

Incredible work. I have the Foxbot mask set for a digital Frogfoot. Did the masks behave? Any tips you could share?

Cheers,

Tom

8 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Incredible work. I have the Foxbot mask set for a digital Frogfoot. Did the masks behave? Any tips you could share?

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom, the masks stuck pretty well actually.

I was spraying acrylics & I had read that you should give each coat a gloss so that the masks shouldn't pull the paint underneath. I didn't gloss & didn't have any problems with paint coming away. I would advise not to stretch the masks at all costs & return each part to the backing film after each use, as sections masking for a previous colour are also masking for the next colour above. Always start with the lightest background colour first & work your way up to the darkest colour. First rules of the print trade as I used to be a screen printer so that experience helped.

Once you start you'll get the hang of it & as your just spraying small areas it went ok.

Treat each section as if you were applying layered decals. I spread the work over weeks & came back to a little at a time so as not to get too focused on the job. Always good to take a breather & step back from something like this.

I'm sure it would be a little easier in a larger scale as well for making sure everything lines up.

Will look out for your Frogfoot! Sounds like a dodgy condition! 🤣

Martin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Martin……….if I did anything a fraction as nice as you have with this Fencer, I would retire from the hobby altogether.  I can see why you would need a break from further “digital camouflage” projects.  Outstanding Fencer!!!!!! :worthy:

Mike

Ah, thanks Mike, very kind! I am a bit of a masochist when it comes to arty farty schemes so I'm very likely to do something mad again! Currently doing a quick tiger meet scheme for a Spanish Mirage F1 as a breather! 🤣

Cheers

Martin

9 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Thanks Tom, the masks stuck pretty well actually.

I was spraying acrylics & I had read that you should give each coat a gloss so that the masks shouldn't pull the paint underneath. I didn't gloss & didn't have any problems with paint coming away. I would advise not to stretch the masks at all costs & return each part to the backing film after each use, as sections masking for a previous colour are also masking for the next colour above. Always start with the lightest background colour first & work your way up to the darkest colour. First rules of the print trade as I used to be a screen printer so that experience helped.

Once you start you'll get the hang of it & as your just spraying small areas it went ok.

Treat each section as if you were applying layered decals. I spread the work over weeks & came back to a little at a time so as not to get too focused on the job. Always good to take a breather & step back from something like this.

I'm sure it would be a little easier in a larger scale as well for making sure everything lines up.

Will look out for your Frogfoot! Sounds like a dodgy condition! 🤣

Martin

Thanks for the tips Martin. I do envisage painting mine over a few weeks, as you suggest. Might need a while to pluck up the courage before tackling though.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1