***finished***Hoggyboss F-84 RDAF (and AM F-86)

Was considering skipping this but discovering  that the Heller f-84g (a type I haven’t built) has danish option painted in raf paints couldn’t resist a fairly simple build like that. Was also eying up the Heller viggen and haven’t ruled out also entering that. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

welcome along Stu with a very nice choice.

I'm pretty sure I've built this model very may years ago and it's a nice model from memory.

Will be nice to see this one in the gallery as we haven't had one before.

Good luck with the build and hopefully you'll be back with a Viggen as we only have one so far!!

• Like 1

Hi Stu,

I have built 2 of these and AFAIK it builds up well. You had me a bit puzzled with the title but I guess it is a typo - I do as lot of them myself these days though I blame a sticking keyboard for at least some of them!😆

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

ouch, sounds like you've had a few dramas Stu!!

Note sure why but you photo's arn't showing for me.... probably not helped by the fact I'm in the middle of nowhere at the moment!  :tumble:

It’s not your end, maxed out my Flickr account so I deleted a few pics could upload before a ‘friend’ opens another one. Will eventually get another f84 and do the chosen scheme. 

Missed out on the Hobbyboss F-84 as I forgot to bid, whilst I could just buy another, decided reluctantly as I've ended up with a cheap Hasegawa F-86 as a potential canopy donor which turned out not to fit I've decided to build that in the same camo but in Italian guise, shame the danish never used the sabre and the norweigians only did In bare metal.......unless I do a whif using the heller decals but guessing that won't be allowed? Edit or not, the hasegawa has a glaring shape issue that can’t be unseen 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Decided it would be hypocrtical of me to not build it because of the shape issue when I noticed my previous build of the hobbyboss kit shares the issue though in that case more my error then the kits, and decided instead of using the nice Airfix Italian decals on a poor kit I'd use one of the many modeldecal RAF ones I have. Primed the sprues ready to start only to check which wing type the kit has and its the later extended slated wing not applicable to either. Either use spare hobbyboss Luftwaffe decals or get my wallet out for an academy  f-86 or even revert back to a danish F-84 and try and make the deadline....edit or instead of picking between the two ordered a HB 86 alongside the 84 so this will be a double feature :)

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to Hoggyboss F-84 RDAF (and Tbc F-86)

Afraid i probably won’t be making it, looked good, got the uppers ready for paint this morning but the dark sea grey paint is unusable serious adherence problems, not the only member to report a problem with recent batches of xtracrylix. 

51756496871_1210ffb409_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Sad 1

On 12/15/2021 at 11:36 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Fits a million miles better

Yes, but unfortunately the old Heller has a much better shape, especially the canopy. Shame really, because the HB is a nice quick build... Still, the Academy and Tamiya kits are really good. Wish we had that much choice for some other jets of the era! 😏

Certainly am, did some more seam clear up yesterday and the dark sea grey is cooperating a bit more if I make dead sure the brush is stone dry and go for a more thinner coats, hoping the pru also can though if not i will pot to local soon as it reopens post Xmas and pick up some humbrol. Hopefully should get the topsides done today though I have a new laptop under the tree to set up. 

Looking a bit more unlikely, life kept stopping me from getting the sanding done, finally got round to it today and having difficulty with the curved fuselage around the nosebay and if it has to be miliputted it will be close. Still not defeated.  Edit: initial sanding looks good, should have the underside painted tommorow if the xtrcrylix pru blue can be salvaged or Tuesday once I’ve picked up some humbrol 

Edited by PhantomBigStu