Belkits Ford Fiesta WRC 2017

16 hours ago, Windy37 said:

I’ve used this method for years on hard to conform decals . As long you don’t get too much heat on they just mould to the shape needed

Hi Gary,

It's quite satisfying watching the decal mould itself to the model contours as you apply heat. I try to keep the hairdryer moving all the time whilst applying heat. That way, it lowers the risk of heat damage to the model and the decal.

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Fat fingers!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Alan R said:

Hi Gary,

It's quite satisfying watching the decal mould itself to the model contours as you apply heat. I try to keep the hairdryer moving all the time whilst applying heat. That way, it lowers the risk of heat damage to the model and the decal.

Cheers,

Alan.

That's exactly the method I use . Oh , and being asked "Why is my hairdryer warm , I've not used it today "  from the other half !!!

Gary . 

• Haha 2

I got "What's the hairdryer doing on the sofa?".

When I explained, I got a sort of 'raised eye' look and the comment "There are other hair-dryers in the cupboard!"

So, I think that means I need to appropriate one of the older ones...

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/12/2021 at 21:59, Windy37 said:

These are not the easiest cars to build , but the end result will be satisfying . Shame about your rear wing .  I don’t think I will be getting the C3 as I was never really a fan of that car . Never look right to me . Shame there isn’t a Toyota Yaris WRC to build  .

Thanks for your interest . 
Gary . 

But still they are nice kits. Maybe I post mine in a VIP section too. I managed to save rear wing. It look decent now. Wil follow yours build closely! 

• Like 1

An early finish today being Christmas Eve , so a bit of modelling time was just the job when I got in . Detail painting around the edges of wheelarches and sills was the job . The edges are painted red on the real car , or a decal on the kit . To save a lot of hassle trying to get a thin red strip of decal to set onto an equally thin edge , I decided to paint this red . This is how it looked before 

51771762167_4112db9e27_c_d.jpg

You’ ll  notice I painted any black areas that needed to be red , white in readiness . I corrected the left hand rear quarter panel using this method too .  And with a steady hand and some Humbrol acrylic ( the best match out of my selection of reds ) this is the result 

51772828038_12e841cbc2_c_d.jpg

51773230399_c46867794f_c_d.jpg

51772584286_38b57424bc_c_d.jpg

A bit of tidying up will smooth some of the rough edges , although as always the camera makes things look worse than the naked eye can pick up . 
Thanks for looking , and seasons greetings to everyone 

Gary . 

• Like 3

More decals added ….

51779284348_8d02df3f3f_c_d.jpg

These are going on easily , although the left side is not matching the right , but only a trained eye can tell . 
51779680019_a919f90fc9_c_d.jpg

I need to mask the rear to paint the diffuser so the decals on there will have to wait a bit . Looking good now , I think . 
Thanks for looking  

Gary . 

• Like 4

Happy new year everyone . I’ve fitted the all important aero dive planes , as they are called , to the Fiesta . These are made from photo etch which I have painted gloss white on top and satin black underneath . They fit easily as there are grooves in the body shell that they press into . The front especially looks reminiscent of Audis S1 from the  group B era , capturing huge amounts of downforce  . Obviously, this being Belkits , the parts aren’t labelled , so trial and error dry fit is a must . 

The aero parts in their own plastic box 

51744617833_2bf5dc7b4d_k_d.jpg

And painted 

51755831310_33eedee6ab_k_d.jpg

And fitted to car  . The masking tape is to try and stop finger prints on areas where I handle the body shell . 

51791872646_edee2105ba_c_d.jpg

Between these two side planes is a PE brake duct cover 

51791872561_a5c724756e_c_d.jpg

At the rear I have fitted the wheelarch air diffusers and the light lenses , easy on this car as they are all red , with a gap in the middle left clear for the indicators . 
51791989773_534fe696a0_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 5

Looking very nice now, you've made good progress over Christmas.

I know where you're coming from with the fingerprints, but I went down a different route - cheapo cotton gloves will help for 90% of the times you have to handle a kit and reduce the risk of paint damage from the masking tape too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Looking very nice now, you've made good progress over Christmas.

I know where you're coming from with the fingerprints, but I went down a different route - cheapo cotton gloves will help for 90% of the times you have to handle a kit and reduce the risk of paint damage from the masking tape too.

I've tried latex gloves , but can't get on with them when using tools to work on the car . This is the first car I've built with a lot of black paint so I'm being extra careful where I hold the car ! 

Gary 

One thing I hate doing on my builds is add the door cards . You spend time filling the interior with detail then put the door cards in and it all kind of gets hidden  . Anyway , the door cards on modern rally cars have safety foam panels moulded to fit around the rollcage bars when the doors are shut  . This increases safety on side impacts . 

51780468898_f25e75b726_c_d.jpg

And door cards fitted . They were a snug fit , I was gently easing them into place so as not to break anything ! 
51780219961_68b0a0466d_c_d.jpg

While doing research on the Fiesta I noticed from in car camera shots the roof has cushioned foil headlining , maybe a kind of thermal heat absorbing material . So I used tin foil and scored it diagonally with a biro pen . I was a little heavy handed on one score , but it won’t really be seen once in place . 
51810544794_4c6a38e1b2_c_d.jpg

Then I glued the foil into the roof , once I had fitted the front and rear screens , which are in one piece and fit really well with only minimal glue needed . The black object is the roof cooling vent adjusters . 
51810925210_99280cbf3f_c_d.jpg

I then carried on and got the rest of the glazing in . I cut the drivers side window out , as is my choice . Again, the windows went in easily with big mounting holes . Wish all windows fitted as well as Belkits do ! The kit comes with window masks , which I used and did the edges with a black Sharpie , much easier than a paint brush I find . 
    The results of the window fitting session 

51810925105_768c8cff06_c_d.jpg

51809239232_f3476c5dc4_c_d.jpg

Nearly done now , the big rear wing next job .

Thanks for looking 

Gary .

• Like 8

This is nearly finished now , I fitted body to chassis which went well , only the rear end around the exhaust needing prising into place with a thin knife edge . All the detail work on the interior is now hidden as it is very dark inside , more so than my last few builds . Oh well , I know what’s in there ! The last big part to build up is the rear wing  . This doesn’t go together easily as the holes in the end plates aren’t very deep so therefore the corresponding pins on the wing planes are a very loose fit . It was all a bit glue it and run , but I managed in the end . Once fitted , the wing will not take much punishment as it is very fragile and only fits onto the back of the car by two fixing holes . Here it is with the glue drying 

51824324476_8b657d9628_c_d.jpg

And here are some shots of the nearly finished car , wheels off 

51824324381_7dc4d0c915_c_d.jpg

51823380322_6645d0629a_k_d.jpg

Probably only one more WIP for the Fiesta now 

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Fully agree, there's been some good work on this.

I know this will make me sound stupid, but until you started building this I hadn't twigged that this model was the current shape Fiesta :doh:

Thanks for the comments  . It's not obvious on first appearance that this is a Fiesta ; Ford's supermini has come along way . Next year M Sport Ford will be using a  Puma as their World Rally Car , the current SUV one , not the coupe from the early 00 s ...... And it has an even more complicated colour scheme ! 

Gary . 

9 hours ago, Hamden said:

What a stunning looking Ford! Great workmanship and paintwork as always!

What's next then? (someone had to ask!)

Stay safe   Roger

Thanks for all the kind comments.  I'll be having a small break from model car building to build a Lego kit of London landmarks I received as a Christmas present from the family  .  Don't know what to build after that though , so watch this space.... 

Gary . 

• Like 1