Belkits Ford Fiesta WRC 2017

5 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Great progress again Gary even if the kit manufacturer are doing there best to spoil the build for you 👏 👍 

Certainly one for the more experienced builder this one ! 

• Like 1

An unexpected afternoon off work allowed a bit of building time . The fiddly brake pipes on the rear end actually wasn’t as a bad a job as I feared and it all went together quickly and relatively easily . 
  The detail here is good , this is the rear  . 
51657838654_5d51a5e914_c_d.jpg

Rear axle assembly from above . Certain areas of Belkits frustrate , but all these parts fitted together well and solidly . A shame the exhaust is pre moulded though . 
51658035100_3364f9b6fa_k_d.jpg

Side on view 

51657838604_ce92633d51_k_d.jpg

And all the good work on the underside will eventually be enclosed with protection panels …… but not yet ! 
51657391518_bca4375396_c_d.jpg

Next stop , the interior . Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

First update in a while ; modelling time limited at the moment , strange how a return to life after restrictions has brought this on ! Anyway I’ve been busy with the interior on the Fiesta . Lots of tiny parts to be prepared and fitted here , most of which will be hidden when the body goes on …. So here’s some pics of where I’m at .
Here are all the different control and display panels , floor mounted for lower centre of gravity . The coloured buttons are decals which I over painted with Matt clear .  The long pipe is a cooling air pipe for the cockpit . Already the seat mounting points are looking flimsy - my bug bear - and the co drivers  will be too high  .
51659288356_644b6cdcfa_c_d.jpg

Ok , spot the mistake I made here ….

51693208093_1669dc98b1_k_d.jpg

Yes , I stuck the spare wheel strap down and forgot to mount the tyre to the rim ….. Doh !

So I unstuck the supplied ribbon , put the tyre on and used blue electricians tape to re do the strapping and added a PE buckle for detail effect . 
51693207978_9208b8170e_k_d.jpg

Some good detail parts ; electric wheel nut gun , jack and fuel tank top . 
51692942926_5ae365840c_c_d.jpg

The part next to the wheelarch is a strengthening bar , drilled to make it lighter . I cocktail stick painted the holes for detail effect . 
51693207908_7b29e3ca4e_k_d.jpg

All the smaller interior parts are now in place . What I like about building these kits is things you notice when doing research . Like how the spare wheel is mounted to one side and not in the middle of the car for handling balance as you might expect . Maybe the weight of the fuel tank balances this out . 
51693207728_c618285f80_k_d.jpg

Ive been building up the seats . There’s a carbon fibre effect decal to go on the back of each seat .To make it easier , I cut it into sections . The decal is very thin and went down well , conforming to the shapes on the seat backs well . 
51694640617_bbd4483208_k_d.jpg

And lastly , I have prepared the seat harnesses using the provided blue ribbon . I have managed to thread the PE buckles , although I’m not a fan of this eye straining process ! The bottom belts I have used the decal option ; easier and not seen like the main belts . Also the front of the rollcage I have painted semi gloss black in readiness for building . 
51696324580_3d74f8858c_k_d.jpg

Things are moving on well now  . I’m enjoying this challenging build  . More soon , thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

That's a lot of work Gary and you've done a damn fine job with it mate looks really good to me 🙂👍

Thanks . Got a lot done , but took about 3 weeks to get there.  

Gary . 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

Thanks . Got a lot done , but took about 3 weeks to get there.  

Gary . 

Doesn't matter how long it takes mate it's the end result that matters 😉👍

• Like 1

A week off work means a little bit more done to the Fiesta . Got the seats ready for fitting  . There’s some PE seat runners , painted black that will not be seen with body on . A nice detail all the same . Red belt cutting knives , in the event of an emergency , can be seen fastened to the seat bases . The steering column is also ready to go in now . This won’t be fitted yet as the instructions rather vaguely say “ drill hole in part C 2 ( the interior shell  ) “ . As the steering column fits to the rollcage , the “ hole “ can’t be drilled yet . Because of this I’m holding off fitting the seats . The odd way the instructions have been written strikes again ….. 

51698621360_49b47d0c05_c_d.jpg

I test fitted the body shell as I needed to check the height of the co drivers seat . It was , as I thought , too high . The actual seat is so low in the car the co driver can barely see over the dashboard , so to correct the inaccuracy I shaved the bottom of the seat until I got it somewhere near .

The body is a good tight fit and took some careful prising to take off agin .

51696941572_38a25fb12a_k_d.jpg

That’s all for now again , thanks for looking 

Gary .

• Like 6

Looking good, hopefully one day Belkits will get their paper bits sorted out as the rest of their kits (as you're showing) are generally very good.

I wouldn't worry about it feeling like slow progress, seems fine to me. And interiors are always a slow part of the build - I'm four weeks into my current interior and counting so you're still moving quicker than me!

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for commenting on the last update  , here’s the next one . What a patience tester this next stage has been , but I got there . 
The current crop of rally cars have the steering column mounted directly to the rollcage  . Therefore this is replicated on the model using extremely thin pieces that join column to cage and one longer bit that goes under the dashboard . The bits are on masking tape , so I didn’t loose them . The steering column is resting on the brake pedal , after I drilled the hole that obviously Belkits forgot about until they wrote the instructions ……
51701514467_8465231953_c_d.jpg 

Normally I build rollcages up in one go , then masking tape it to keep it tight and true til the glue dries , but with this I needed to put the left hand side in place so I could fasten the steering column to it . Using the “do a bit and walk away “method I gently manipulated the tiny pieces into place . Like this 

51702311801_b93053d36e_c_d.jpg

There’s a bar that fits underneath the dashboard to pick up another bar , but I might not need this . It won’t be seen anyway . 
51701514347_4699551195_c_d.jpg

So after a bit of patience I managed to get this next stage done . 
Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 8

Yep like the other Andy said more steady progress with your build and I reckon this car is going to look superb when finished....nice work Gary looks great 👍 👏 👌 

• Like 2

The interior is now done on the Fiesta . Rollcage was fiddly to build , the central X shape piece didn’t want to match up to it’s supposed fixing points , probably because I altered the co drivers seats which meant it now touches the X piece . Anyway it’s in and the seat harnesses are fastened down . The Sparco decals on the harnesses became unstuck then became lost , so I used the ones off the harness decals and PVA d them down . This has done the trick . 
51711835674_a1a73fc1c3_c_d.jpg

51711835804_531401c47d_c_d.jpg

51711835599_be2669b76b_c_d.jpg

51711443403_628209016b_c_d.jpg

Ive also began prepping the body ready for decals . The interior is painted silver to match the rest of the floor pan and rollcage . 
51710377812_87be325fba_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking  

Gary . 

• Like 6