Bedford MWC (Gecko Models 1/35) "Captain Hartley's war"

APA

Finally! Sorry for the delay, A lot happening in the 1:1 scale world. So anyway here is the end result;

A summer's evening in 1945 on the banks of the River Nederrijn in the Netherlands. Captain Hartley and Corporal Atkins have finished filling up the bowser and have a couple of hours to spare. While Atkins packs up the kit Cpt Hartley takes the opportunity to do a spot of fly fishing. He always carries his kit just in case. Very convenient assignment for him. He always takes notes when he fishes and dreams of writing a book about it one day, maybe after the war.

This was the inspiration (Apologies to anyone under 40 😎 as this will mean nothing 😁)

Boy have I enjoyed doing this. These sort of kits have so much scope for scratch building if you include the various equipment needed such as the sterilizing test kit (Not the fly fishing kit though 😉). This Gecko kit is superb, apart froma coiple of tricking bits with engine location and attaching the bowser to the chassis it's so detailed but not difficult to build. Moulds are crisp, mostly, and go togther perfectly. Highly recommend this and Gecko do a lot of other British wheeled vehicls. I think I'll be purchasing a few more.

So here she is............

20211003_164643

Scratch built fishing rod made from brass pipe and very fine wire. Eyelets are real and the line is threaded through.

20211003_165102

20211003_164613

20211003_164703

All bar the square box and notebook are 3D printed on the bonnet. If you look at the WIP there is a video showing this equipment being used.

20211003_164905

The kit rear stuff apart from the tubing is completely wrong. They didn't store their personal kit in the rear. I scratch built all the interior so that the internal doors could be open.

20211003_164923

I used AK wet effect for the water but this is before it dried properly. Not as nice as I was hoping. Pipes are solder wire. Bucket is from the bits box. Everything else is scrach.

20211003_164937

I tried to make the tank visible inside but it doesn't quite work. Oh well. Galvanising didn't turn out as well as I wanted either.

20211003_165220

Note that the pipe work is all off white rubber. Looking at all pics and videos this was the case. Note black rubber. Bit like tyres used to be.

20211003_164627

The waders are the feet from a bits box figure. The rest is foil. They are actually to right feet 🙄

20211003_165111

Other mods are replacing the front bar with brass tube, scratching the canopy frame, both canvas rolls and other odds and sods

20211003_164643

WIP is here 

Cheers all

Andrew

Edited by APA
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 2

What a brilliant model full of detail and storytelling. So much to look at though I love what you've done with the headlights and the waders look incredibly realistic. Well worth all the effort!👏

Certainly deserves a diorama base with a stream if you're tempted 😀

• Like 1

Wonderful, so much character to it. :tasty:

Love all the little detail, particularly the kit in the bonnet and the fishing tackle. 

Tremendous work

Darryl 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 7:37 PM, Autle said:

Great story and well executed, It's a really interesting vehicle as well. Wish I'd have thought of that.

Thanks Autle, yes it's a cool little built and very interesting subject if you look into it.

22 hours ago, StuartH said:

What a brilliant model full of detail and storytelling. So much to look at though I love what you've done with the headlights and the waders look incredibly realistic. Well worth all the effort!👏

Certainly deserves a diorama base with a stream if you're tempted 😀

Thanks StuartH. If I did a diorama you'd be waiting another couple of months 😳

21 hours ago, vytautas said:

Looks fantastically good, just incredible detail.  

Sorry, I can press the Like button only once... But I press it very hard!

Vytautas

Ha ha don't go breaking your keyboard Vytautas 😁 ans thanks as always 👍🏻

21 hours ago, Carius said:

You did an excellent job Andrew, I love the little and many details you put into it.

Cheers

Cheers Carius glad you like all the little bits😁

20 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Fabulous end result - like everything about it B)

Rob

Cheers Rob

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Wonderful, so much character to it. :tasty:

Love all the little detail, particularly the kit in the bonnet and the fishing tackle. 

Tremendous work

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl. 👍🏻😁

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's a cracking little model that you've done there Andrew. There is so much detail to look at. Great work.

John.

Hi John thanks and glad you like it 😊

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a superb bit of modelling & a story to go with it that is rather nice in it's gentle humanity. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve glad you like the little touch of the story 😊

9 hours ago, echen said:

Watched the build on this. All that finely detailed work has certainly produced a superlative result.

Thanks as always Echen

2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Less is more, very interesting build and I can even remember the advert.....oh dear!

Aha! You like the idea of the base. 😉 You and me both on the advert. Not sure I can build a kit to tie in with the 'Morning after and French Polishers' ad 😁

2 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

A stunner !..👍  Great to see the finale after watching it in progress..

You weren't tempted to create a nice 1/35 fish that Capt. Hartley had bagged for supper then? :)

Ha ha I could always 3d print one 😉 and thanks for liking PotW👍🏻

• Like 3

Lovely model Andrew, 

All those little details you have added give some life to the model and are well worth the effort, I can see why you enjoyed the building of this one.

Well done.

Wayne

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...