Chrome trim

coolingthunder

Hi all,

More of an aviation modeller but have a few car kits in the stash of models that interested me.

I find the chrome parts give off too much of a toy look, just doesn't look right to my eye.

What do you guys to do this? I have some chrome foil, but it's not cheap and doesn't look too easy to apply. 

Thanks!

Is this on all chrome parts, or just things like grilles & wheels?  If the latter, then some dark / black washes to add depth really make a difference to those areas, as well as bringing out the detail.  If it's a chrome plated wheel that should be a more subdued finish (e.g. alloy), I've also used thinned down silver paint to good effect to tone it down.  If the former, then I know that some people like to strip the chrome & use things like Alclad.  I've never done that, so can't comment on how easy it is, but I've never thought it necessary with any of the car model kits that I've built. 

On things like bumpers, the main problem is usually poor sprue attachment locations (unless the plating is so thick that the detail has gone soft...) - the chrome can be touched in almost invisibly with Molotow chrome pens.  Foil isn't really suitable for double curvature such as bumpers, but is excellent for areas such as window frames / surrounds and also for chrome side trim.

For me it depends on the item. Bumpers I usually find are fine to leave with the kit chrome, and as said above the Molotow chrome usually gives a good match. If it's a small area which needs doing I'll use a paint brush to apply, it usually levels out before drying. Just make sure you give the pen a good shake first, then a couple of short presses and you can pick up the chrome from the top of the nib area.

For wheels, I tend to strip the chrome as it usually looks pretty terrible, then my current favourite is Tamiya Silver Leak from a rattle can covered in TS-13 clear. Other silvers are available, and I intend to try a different one when the Silver Leaf is finished.

Grilles can be made to look much better with a wash over the top of the chrome, then just wipe off the highpoints. I did try stripping the chrome on my current build, spraying black then going over with the Molotow but it wasn't a success and I ended up filling the low points with black paint anyway.

And finally window surrounds (if chrome). For this I've used the molotow with some success, but on my current build I've gone with the bare metal foil. Time consuming and you have to take care, but the end result stands out more than the chrome pen.