1/12th Scale Wood Strip Canoe

I'm calling this finished now - there are a few details that could be improved but I've spent enough time on what's been an unplanned diversion from other ongoing projects.

I've left the build process photos in the 'Work In Progress' section.

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

IMG-20211003-140430.jpg

IMG-20211003-140448.jpg

IMG-20211003-140623.jpg

IMG-20211003-141614.jpg

IMG-20211003-142353.jpg

Edited by Camwader
  • Like 39
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, it's simply beautiful, with the individual strips of the planking showing off the graceful lines of it. Extremely well done. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff - I'm pleased with how it turned out. I don't intend building another one at this scale; the next one will be 1/6th and that will allow more elaborate patterns in the planking. Also at 1/6th I can use action figures for outdoor shoots as I do with my 1/6th kayaks. Probably won't start that for a while.

IMG-20210907-115636.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Hope you're going to strap it to the roof before you set off, wouldn't want it damaged before you got to paddle it!

Dave, I had thought about making a proper roof-rack but in the end I decided not to spend any more time on it - other partially built projects are calling.

11 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's a beauty. Your painting is so good I thought it was real wood for a while there...

Bertie, The trouble with text only communications is that I have no idea whether this is a tongue in cheek or joke response - so at the risk of seeing a jest flying unseen over my head, I have to say it is real wood, no paint involved. I'd love to be able to paint like that. Have a look at the build photos in the Work in Progress section if you haven't already.

48 minutes ago, Camwader said:

Bertie, The trouble with text only communications is that I have no idea whether this is a tongue in cheek or joke response - so at the risk of seeing a jest flying unseen over my head, I have to say it is real wood, no paint involved. I'd love to be able to paint like that. Have a look at the build photos in the Work in Progress section if you haven't already.

I have seen the work in progress and I confess that I was gently teasing you. The canoe is, as I honestly said, a beautiful thing. Being made in wood somehow makes it as beautiful as a full sized canoe, one of mankind's most graceful objects. I am not a modelmaker like you, but merely an assembler of kits, and I greatly admire your skills. 

8 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I have seen the work in progress and I confess that I was gently teasing you. The canoe is, as I honestly said, a beautiful thing. Being made in wood somehow makes it as beautiful as a full sized canoe, one of mankind's most graceful objects. I am not a modelmaker like you, but merely an assembler of kits, and I greatly admire your skills. 

Bertie, I thought it might have been a tease, but wasn't sure. Most of the time I'm an assembler of kits, or a purchaser of die-cast and resin-cast finished models. But sometimes I scratch build stuff. I've built wooden planes in the past, starting in my youth with Kiel Kraft rubber powered free flight kits - a Lysander comes to mind - so I'm used to working in most model making materials. I've scratch built a number of 1/6th scale kayaks, but this was my first canoe. I read your profile, and agree with your philosophy. The only modeller you have to please is yourself. I've long been an admirer of Gerald Wingrove, and his philosphy regarding the accuracy of models was that 'It doesn't have to be right, it just has to look right' - and that suits me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Camwader said:

I thought it might have been a tease, but wasn't sure.

That's what made it a tease. 😉 From your writing, I thought you would enjoy it better without an emoji signpost to give the game away. Please forgive me.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2021 at 21:35, Bertie Psmith said:

That's what made it a tease. 😉 From your writing, I thought you would enjoy it better without an emoji signpost to give the game away. Please forgive me.

Bertie, I don't mind a good natured tease, certainly no offence taken. 

• Like 2

I shared my photos of this build with Bear Mountain Boats, the manufacturer of the kit I used, and supplier of kits for the full sized canoes. It was surprisingly popular with their followers, which I must admit was quite gratifiying.

Screen-Shot-2021-10-14-at-18-45-20.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Weel, it took my three functioning brain cells a while to realize it was not a 1:1 scale in your garage until I saw a Raleigh Chopper, a VW Camper and a Honda CB750 all in the same space, no body is that lucky..😃

Superb.

The good thing with larger scale garage dioramas is that there is room to show off all sorts of things in them. The 1/12th diorama in the canoe posts is still very basic, but my 1/6th scale one is very mature. The 1/6th scale is even better for putting other smaller scale stuff in - as the photo below shows, there's really no limit to subject matter.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Having learned a thing or two about small scale woodworking with this 1/12th scale canoe, I decided to repeat the process at 1/6th scale.

As there was relatively little interest in this subject I didn’t think it worth creating a separate topic, as anyone who is interested would find it here.

The 1/6th scale build is detailed in my Flickr album: 1/6th Scale Wood Strip Canoe

IMG-20220115-115111.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

You're getting good at these, you ought to try a 1:1 scale one!

Dave, I intend to one day, but as with my modelling projects, the list of full size projects that need to be finished before I start anything else is long.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...