Protar Manx Norton

Old Mull

Has anyone found or can recommend an aftermarket chain set to replace the original PVC  kit items which, quite frankly, are just blobs of unusable plastic?

I have an original kit but wonder if the Italeri re-release addresses the problem (or not!) In the same vain, has anyone rebuilt the wheels with aftermarket spoke sets and printed rims?

Dave

Thanks Dave, I’ve already been there (that’s where I got the idea to rebuild them) but before I commit £30+,  I was hoping  someone  might have done a w.I.p. to see how they handled the hubs, offsets, spoking  pattern  etc.

Cheers, Dave

Top Studios RC211 chainset worked for my 1/9 Bobber:

15.jpg

Evident in the pic is the rear wheel , cast hubs and rims from kit parts and handmade patterns.

Laced using the lacing instructions in the Harley service manual with brass spokes in a space age Elon Musk approved , NASA certified lacing apparatus:

rlacejig1.jpg

Rims and hubs cast in resin , DONT do that , the inherent tension in a spoked wheel is counterproductive.

Resin cast hubs on my Hillclimber:

IMG-0243.jpg

Switched to metal cast:

IMG-0906.jpg

MFH Brough chainset ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) for the final drive chain:

IMG-0959.jpg

Lots of ways to do stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave, on this thread ...

I included a couple of posts showing how I relaced the wheels on my Italeri 1/9 Harley WLA750. krow113's skills are way above mine, but the method shown in my thread was relatively simple and is actually based on krow113's methods (credit where credit is due).

Hiroboy linked here (I have no connection) have some chain sets and, as you can see above, krow113 has had success with a 1/12 set on a 1/9 kit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...