Star of Chenonceaux - Revell 1/144 Lockheed L.1049G Super Constellation

Good afternoon fellow Britmodellers.

Here is (finally) my latest build, the most elegant airliner of all times IMHO, Revell's 1/144 Lockheed L.1049G Super Constellation. Done OOB in TWA markings. The name of the plane is missing as I ruined the decals, which are very nice and very good BTW (walkways and striping set in one piece).

I decided on the TWA markings because they apply to the "long nose" version I prefer. I put the plane on a stand, gear up, to emphasize it's sleek silhouette. 

It was a time of firsts, as it was build for my first participation in a GB (Unarmed GB), first airliner ever and first 1/144 kit.

Alas, I didn't finish it in time for the GB gallery but here it is and I'm very happy with the result (I hoped even better, well it's comforting, as it shows I've got room for self improvement).

Again, many thanks to Brad for organizing the Unarmed GB . Also, my thanks to all those who showed support, help and appreciation during the build. It can be found here: 

The kit is very nice and simple OOB (neatly engraved panel lines and as much detail as the 1/72 Heller) but requires some care to achieve the best of results. I hope my build thread will help others to avoid some possible issues (looking around the Net, I found some saying it was trouble free, others that it was a beast). With some patience meaning careful dry-fitting, a bit of scraping and sanding you will need nearly no filler. The only part that was a problem with the kit itself is the windscreen. It's too narrow. Looking back at it, I think placing a piece of plasticard 0.3 to 0.5 mm thick behind it should help and spare some sanding and filling.

Also don't be too sparse with glue and clamping assemling the fuselage halves (the upper seam "cracked" more than once).

I don't have any reference so I may be wrong but looking at pictures I think the wings should have more dihedral...that's for the next one, if Revell would reissue it.

Sprayed with my H&S Evolution Silverline. Paints were all acrylics:

- Tamiya: flat white for the upper fuselage

- Vallejo Metal Color Silver for the belly and wings, some details painted steel, semi-matte and dull aluminium (prop blades, antennas)

- exhaust stains done with Tamiya smoke

- Revell Aqua flat black for the leading edges de-icers.

Everything was then coated with  Tamiya gloss clear

Hope you'll enjoy taking a look. Thanks for watching.

Now the pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The stand comes from an Italeri boxing of two different ones.

spacer.png

• Like 51
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful!  Yes, just a tad more dihedral on the wings next time, but otherwise looks great!  The Tamiya white is a winner.  It will not yellow over time, so you can enjoy this model for decades!

Thanks for the praise and the info about the white; good to hear as this kit is meant as a present for my very best friend. Soon 40 years since we first met.

Wonderful build and presentation of one of the most elegant airliners ever.

I am sure your friend will be delighted.

About 3 years ago I was able to be up close to the Super Constellation owned by the Swiss Super Constellation Flyers Association when she was on display in Zurich for fund raising.

I was surprised how big she is.Too bad that the association had to close down later on and the Connie was sold.

I miss seeing and hearing her when she was frequently flying over my place...what a sight and sound

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Very nicely done. Those old kits can be built to a high level of beauty.

Many thanks. In fact it's the newest tooling, It dates back to 2006.

15 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Wonderful build and presentation of one of the most elegant airliners ever.

I am sure your friend will be delighted.

About 3 years ago I was able to be up close to the Super Constellation owned by the Swiss Super Constellation Flyers Association when she was on display in Zurich for fund raising.

I was surprised how big she is.Too bad that the association had to close down later on and the Connie was sold.

I miss seeing and hearing her when she was frequently flying over my place...what a sight and sound

Thank you. How lucky you were to see such a beauty in flight. I'm definitely jealous.

• Thanks 1

Lovely job, great paint finish - what a beautiful aeroplane!. I had read somewhere about the dihedral needing adjusting on this kit, but either way your model looks great!

I can just imagine the sound of the 4 big radials turning. They knew how to design good looking aeroplanes back then. I wonder if Revell will re- release this kit again?

Cheers, Andy 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Andy Young said:

Lovely job, great paint finish - what a beautiful aeroplane!. I had read somewhere about the dihedral needing adjusting on this kit, but either way your model looks great!

I can just imagine the sound of the 4 big radials turning. They knew how to design good looking aeroplanes back then. I wonder if Revell will re- release this kit again?

Cheers, Andy 

Thank you very much. Not knowing the correct dihedral to set, I just left it alone.

I sure hope for a re-release and also of the Sabena (Belgian Airways) decal sheet.

54 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

A great result on this Pat, the in flight display suits it so well, airborne elegance on show. :)

Steve.

Thanks a lot Steve. Happy to know you like the final result.

Cheers.

Pat.

• Like 1

I agree it is a most elegant aircraft and your build has really done it justice.

While I have always been fascinated by the tall undercarriage, your in-flight depiction shows the beautiful lines to best effect!

:clap2::clap2:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kapam said:

I agree it is a most elegant aircraft and your build has really done it justice.

While I have always been fascinated by the tall undercarriage, your in-flight depiction shows the beautiful lines to best effect!

:clap2::clap2:

My thanks. The lady has very nice legs too, so she's still plenty beautiful when she shows them. I couldn't skirt to say it (pun intended).